Author Topic: Senate defeats measure to overturn Trump expansion of non-ObamaCare plans  (Read 445 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate defeats measure to overturn Trump expansion of non-ObamaCare plans
By Peter Sullivan - 10/10/18 12:27 PM EDT

The Senate on Wednesday defeated a Democratic measure to overrule President Trump’s expansion of non-ObamaCare insurance plans as Democrats seek to highlight health care ahead of the midterm elections.

The Democratic measure would have overruled Trump’s expansion of short-term health insurance plans, which do not have to cover people with pre-existing conditions or cover a range of health services like mental health or prescription drugs.

It was defeated on an extremely narrow, mostly party line 50-50 vote, with Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) voting with Democrats in favor of overturning the short-term plans.

Republicans argue the short-term plans simply provide a cheaper option alongside more comprehensive ObamaCare plans.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/410775-senate-defeats-measure-to-overturn-trump-expansion-of-non-obamacare-plans
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Senate defeats measure to overturn Trump expansion of non-ObamaCare plans
By Peter Sullivan - 10/10/18 12:27 PM EDT

The Senate on Wednesday defeated a Democratic measure to overrule President Trump’s expansion of non-ObamaCare insurance plans as Democrats seek to highlight health care ahead of the midterm elections.

The Democratic measure would have overruled Trump’s expansion of short-term health insurance plans, which do not have to cover people with pre-existing conditions or cover a range of health services like mental health or prescription drugs.

It was defeated on an extremely narrow, mostly party line 50-50 vote, with Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) voting with Democrats in favor of overturning the short-term plans.

Republicans argue the short-term plans simply provide a cheaper option alongside more comprehensive ObamaCare plans.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/410775-senate-defeats-measure-to-overturn-trump-expansion-of-non-obamacare-plans

There should absolutely be alternative health care plans available.  A plan only covering Catastrophic illness is a good option for young, healthy people.  It protects them should they have a serious, expensive health issue and that group can usually manage ordinary health care for themselves.

And Susan only took one day to fall out of my good graces.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
There should absolutely be alternative health care plans available.  A plan only covering Catastrophic illness is a good option for young, healthy people.  It protects them should they have a serious, expensive health issue and that group can usually manage ordinary health care for themselves.

And Susan only took one day to fall out of my good graces.

There's an important facet to "junk" plans that dems zealously hide and repubs are apparently too stupid to publicize. I carried a 1st-$5000-out-of-pocket plan for years. It never reimbursed a dime, but nevertheless saved me thousands. Far from being the equivalent of uninsured, it meant that all my expenses were submitted to the insurer, who adjusted all billings to their negotiated rates. Bills that would have been $2000 if I'd been uninsured became $400-500. So not only do you have the catastrophic coverage if you need it, your small premium buys you huge discounts on whatever services you do use - even if you never meet the deductibles.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
There's an important facet to "junk" plans that dems zealously hide and repubs are apparently too stupid to publicize. I carried a 1st-$5000-out-of-pocket plan for years. It never reimbursed a dime, but nevertheless saved me thousands. Far from being the equivalent of uninsured, it meant that all my expenses were submitted to the insurer, who adjusted all billings to their negotiated rates. Bills that would have been $2000 if I'd been uninsured became $400-500. So not only do you have the catastrophic coverage if you need it, your small premium buys you huge discounts on whatever services you do use - even if you never meet the deductibles.

Yes!  My husband was in the insurance business and he certainly recommended that type of plan to young nieces and nephews who asked him for advice.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.