Author Topic: Midterms put GOP centrists in peril  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Midterms put GOP centrists in peril
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 05:10:14 am »
   I wish I could offer you some condolences @Once-Ler but it would be considered Favoritism because you were already on my Buddie List.
That's ok.  I was looking for an excuse to drink.  Does the buddy list do anything?  I haven't utilized it.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 05:45:03 am »
They don't call Trump "The King of Debt" for nothing...

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/fy-2018-debt-1271158167127

In FY 2018: Debt Up $1,271,158,167,127
(CNSNews.com) - The federal debt increased by $1,271,158,167,126.72 in fiscal 2018, according to data released today by the Treasury.
The total federal debt started the fiscal year at $20,244,900,016,053.51 according to the Treasury, and finished the fiscal year at $21,516,058,183,180.23.

I expect the reaction from Orange Brigadiers to be along the lines of...

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 06:22:24 am »
They don't call Trump "The King of Debt" for nothing...

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/fy-2018-debt-1271158167127

A NEW RECORD!!!  The biggest in history we've ever seen from the standpoint of debt.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 04:49:05 pm »
I believe Heller, Citizens United, and Garland all happened longer than 2 years ago.  I need a stronger argument from you.  Please try again.

2 years ago it was October 3, 2016.  Merrick Garland's nomination was sitting in front of the Senate waiting for a vote.  If the Republicans did not have the majority, he would have been confirmed for the seat previously held by Scalia.  That alone would have flipped the majorities for both Heller and Citizens United.  It also would have meant that Obama's Clean Power regs (which the Court that included Gorsuch tossed), as well as DACA, DAPA, etc. would not only have been withheld, but made mandatory to continue.

There is also the tax cut/reform bill passed by the GOP Congressional majority. 

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 08:22:53 pm »
2 years ago it was October 3, 2016.  Merrick Garland's nomination was sitting in front of the Senate waiting for a vote.  If the Republicans did not have the majority, he would have been confirmed for the seat previously held by Scalia.  That alone would have flipped the majorities for both Heller and Citizens United.  It also would have meant that Obama's Clean Power regs (which the Court that included Gorsuch tossed), as well as DACA, DAPA, etc. would not only have been withheld, but made mandatory to continue.

There is also the tax cut/reform bill passed by the GOP Congressional majority.

I made the case that Garland (nominated  March 16, 2016), Heller, and Citizen United happened before 2 years ago.  We could quibble whether the decision to tank Garland's nomination happened before or after Oct 3rd, but I'll amend my original post to say GOP majorities have been nearly useless since Trump assumed office.  Better?

I'm curious why you insist on listing Heller and Citizens United as accomplishments of the GOP majority in the last 2 years.  Was there some great challenge to either decision I have forgotten?