Author Topic: Midterms put GOP centrists in peril  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Midterms put GOP centrists in peril
« on: October 01, 2018, 06:06:03 am »
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/409038-midterms-put-gop-centrists-in-peril#.W7Fmn7AzIaI.twitter
A potential blue wave and string of Republican retirements could wipe out a huge chunk of GOP moderates this fall, leaving an even more conservative House caucus behind them.

Some of the most competitive races this election cycle feature centrist Republicans like Mike Coffman of Colorado, Leonard Lance of New Jersey and Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania.

And the GOP’s most prominent and outspoken moderate voices — including Reps. Ryan Costello (Pa.) and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (Fla.) and former Rep. Charlie Dent (Pa.) — have decided to head for the exits instead of face tough reelection battles back home.

More at link...

The GOP will be much better served by a core minority of solidly pro-Trump Republicans to reflect Trump's support by the People.  Majorities are over rated.  Take the GOP majorities for the last 2 years for example.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Midterms put GOP centrists in peril
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:29:37 am »
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/409038-midterms-put-gop-centrists-in-peril#.W7Fmn7AzIaI.twitter
More at link...

The GOP will be much better served by a core minority of solidly pro-Trump Republicans to reflect Trump's support by the People.  Majorities are over rated.  Take the GOP majorities for the last 2 years for example.

You're right. We need more fag gots like your pal Jeff Flake in there. Look how effective he is.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 01:27:40 pm »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 04:05:22 pm »
Title:
"Midterms put GOP centrists in peril"

Good.
In these times, the LAST THING we need are "GOP centrists".

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 04:10:18 pm »
Title:
"Midterms put GOP centrists in peril"

Good.
In these times, the LAST THING we need are "GOP centrists".

Smallest book ever, 'Great Moderates in History'

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 04:18:21 pm »
Majorities are over rated.  Take the GOP majorities for the last 2 years for example.

Let's see...we got the most important tax reform in the country's history, have confirmed a shitload of judges including one (at least) on the Supreme Court.

Oh yeah, and our Senate majority during Obama's last year kept a fifth progressive from being placed on the Court.  If not for that GOP Senate majority, we'd have lost Heller and the Second Amendment as an individual right, had Citizens United reversed and had government-imposed limits on political speech.  We'd also have seen the Supreme Court toss everything Trump has done in terms of loosening environmental regulations, cutting Obamacare subsidies, and DACA/DAPA.

I really wonder what kind of self-professed Republicans and/or conservatives really believe those kind of things aren't important, and doesn't believe there is any significant value in Democrats not having a majority.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:29:45 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 04:25:59 pm »
@Once-Ler

Hide and watch what happens in November!

You think your Minnesota worldview is universal but it ain't!  FAR from it in fact!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 04:42:14 pm »
@Once-Ler

Hide and watch what happens in November!

You think your Minnesota worldview is universal but it ain't!  FAR from it in fact!

He's a Leftist Troll. All of his posts prove it out. They are straight out of the DU handbook for infiltrating a Right wing site.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 04:43:26 pm »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 04:55:43 pm »
He's a Leftist Troll. All of his posts prove it out. They are straight out of the DU handbook for infiltrating a Right wing site.

I am well aware of that @Frank Cannon.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 06:11:23 pm »
Let's see...we got the most important tax reform in the country's history, have confirmed a shitload of judges including one (at least) on the Supreme Court.

Oh yeah, and our Senate majority during Obama's last year kept a fifth progressive from being placed on the Court.  If not for that GOP Senate majority, we'd have lost Heller and the Second Amendment as an individual right, had Citizens United reversed and had government-imposed limits on political speech.  We'd also have seen the Supreme Court toss everything Trump has done in terms of loosening environmental regulations, cutting Obamacare subsidies, and DACA/DAPA.

I really wonder what kind of self-professed Republicans and/or conservatives really believe those kind of things aren't important, and doesn't believe there is any significant value in Democrats not having a majority.

Some people are so dam short-sighted.  I would take ANY Republican over any democrat.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 06:23:28 pm »
Some people are so dam short-sighted.  I would take ANY Republican over any democrat.

What's...strange(?)...is that Once-ler specifically referred to the last two years, where the advantage of having even that tiny majority rather than being in the minority is obvious.  People have every right to be unhappy that a GOP majority Congress didn't do as much as they'd like, but the impact upon the Garland nomination at the end of Obama's term, and all the GOP judicial confirmations since then, is simply inarguable.  And of course there is the tax bill.

Raising that particular context and then arguing that there is no point in having a GOP majority is directly advocating for the interests of progressives and the Democratic Party.  I'm actually with @Frank Cannon on this -- I don't think it's a question of anyone being "short-sighted".  I think anyone who advocates that position is making those arguments deliberately, knowing full-well the consequences.

I'd add that if the Democrats actually controlled Congress, I believe that Trump already would be impeached and out of office, and Pence would be right behind him.  The Democrats want power that badly.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:26:36 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 10:06:05 pm »
What's...strange(?)...is that Once-ler specifically referred to the last two years, where the advantage of having even that tiny majority rather than being in the minority is obvious.  People have every right to be unhappy that a GOP majority Congress didn't do as much as they'd like, but the impact upon the Garland nomination at the end of Obama's term, and all the GOP judicial confirmations since then, is simply inarguable.  And of course there is the tax bill.

Raising that particular context and then arguing that there is no point in having a GOP majority is directly advocating for the interests of progressives and the Democratic Party.  I'm actually with @Frank Cannon on this -- I don't think it's a question of anyone being "short-sighted".  I think anyone who advocates that position is making those arguments deliberately, knowing full-well the consequences.

I'd add that if the Democrats actually controlled Congress, I believe that Trump already would be impeached and out of office, and Pence would be right behind him.  The Democrats want power that badly.

Totally agree @Maj. Bill Martin   We have seen a stark illustration of what the democrats will do to re-gain power.  It scared me and it should scare everybody.  I reiterate that I would take ANY Republican over any democrat.

And, yes, the dems have shown the lengths to which they would go.  I don't want them anywhere near power.  I cannot name a decent one.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 11:48:19 pm »

I point my finger at Trumpers and tell them they're wrong, but it's rejected because I'm saying it, but if I take their own opinion "purge the RINOs" and repeat it back to them they will respond "I would take ANY Republican over any democrat."  like Collins, Murkowski, maybe even "fag gots" like Jeff Flake.   :smokin:

I don't care if you think I'm a progressive or rat because I oppose higher taxes on goods, and reckless government spending on things like Planned Parenthood...just so long as you recognize I ain't a republican.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 11:56:31 pm »
We know what you are.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 12:33:43 am »
I'm hyper anxious we'll lose the senate and Kavanaugh will never be confirmed.
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 01:36:27 am »

I don't care if you think I'm a progressive or rat because I oppose higher taxes on goods, and reckless government spending on things like Planned Parenthood...

Nobody thinks you're a progressive or democrat because of those things.  It's because you point to the last two years as evidence that we'd be better off with a minority in Congress.

Which means no Heller, no Citizens United, no tax reform,  no Gorsuch, and Garland sitting on the Court.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 02:15:41 am »
I point my finger at Trumpers and tell them they're wrong, but it's rejected because I'm saying it, but if I take their own opinion "purge the RINOs" and repeat it back to them they will respond "I would take ANY Republican over any democrat."  like Collins, Murkowski, maybe even "fag gots" like Jeff Flake.   :smokin:

I don't care if you think I'm a progressive or rat because I oppose higher taxes on goods, and reckless government spending on things like Planned Parenthood...just so long as you recognize I ain't a republican.

And ... you think a democrat majority would give you lower taxes and less spending?

I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous point of view.  And, by the way, democrats worship Planned Parenthood and they worship abortion.  Most Republicans do not.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 07:45:35 am »

After almost 30 years I'm not a republican anymore.  I have not been for 2 years.  I did not vote last election because there was nobody worth voting for.  The republican party is the party of Trump.  figure it out faster. 
I also no longer consider myself as conservative.  Sure I love low taxes, I love our military, I believe abortion is evil, I think government should support pro business policy, I think Church and State are allowed to work together Constitutionally to help us, I think gun ownership is a right, and I think America is the best country on Earth.  I think almost everyone on this board agrees with these things.  However I can't sign on to protectionism, more spending, and depending on the support of extremists and racists.

I lament the ineffectiveness of the GOP for the last 2 years and you counter with Heller and Citizens United.  Are you kidding me?  Do you expect me to praise the decisions of Gorsuch before they're made?  Will they be better than the Roberts Obamacare decision?

I believe Heller, Citizens United, and Garland all happened longer than 2 years ago.  I need a stronger argument from you.  Please try again.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 10:18:25 am »
If you can’t see how great the economy and optimism (and hence, America) is doing on your lonesome, don’t expect anyone to hold your hand and explain to you how the world works.

I’m just sorry I took the time to read your last pathetic excuse of a post @Once-Ler

If I sound short with you NeverTrumpers It’s just that I’m sick and tired of trying to lead horses to water if they’re too darn pigheaded to DRINK IT!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 12:44:07 pm »
If you can’t see how great the economy and optimism (and hence, America) is doing on your lonesome, don’t expect anyone to hold your hand and explain to you how the world works.

I’m just sorry I took the time to read your last pathetic excuse of a post @Once-Ler

If I sound short with you NeverTrumpers It’s just that I’m sick and tired of trying to lead horses to water if they’re too darn pigheaded to DRINK IT!

Allow me to say it for @Once-Ler : does the acronym KMA mean anything to you?

I'll have a lot more optimism when our economy isn't being juiced by trillion dollar deficits every year.

The ever superior attitude of Orange Brigadiers, and the incessant personal attacks, are wearisome.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 04:17:02 pm »

You're probably better off not questioning yourself.  It can be a scary place.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 01:31:46 am »
Once-Ler wrote in #18 above:
"After almost 30 years I'm not a republican anymore"

Yeah, but that's been obvious for some time.

But I have to congratulate you.
It took some time, but you've finally earned it !

... a place on my ignore list !
Adios !

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 02:10:03 am »
Once-Ler wrote in #18 above:
"After almost 30 years I'm not a republican anymore"

Yeah, but that's been obvious for some time.

But I have to congratulate you.
It took some time, but you've finally earned it !

... a place on my ignore list !

8888crybaby
Adios !

Online corbe

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 02:26:47 am »
   I wish I could offer you some condolences @Once-Ler but it would be considered Favoritism because you were already on my Buddie List.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.