Author Topic: Time to Stop the Immigration Food Fight  (Read 316 times)

rangerrebew

Time to Stop the Immigration Food Fight
« on: October 02, 2018, 12:45:12 pm »
Time to Stop the Immigration Food Fight

September 26, 2018

Dale L. Wilcox

Our national debate over immigration has descended into a food fight. While most Americans have quietly maintained reasonable views on the issue, extremists on both sides have shouted down their opponents and resorted to vulgar rhetoric and even violence. In particular, those seeking virtually no restrictions on immigration have been all too comfortable hurling one of the ugliest, laziest and most unintellectual accusations possible: that those who disagree with their positions must be motivated by racism. These imputations have been largely unchallenged for too long. It’s time for a conversation on the relationship between race and immigration policy. 

http://www.irli.org/single-post/2018/09/26/Time-to-Stop-the-Immigration-Food-Fight

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Time to Stop the Immigration Food Fight
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 12:50:25 pm »
It’s time for a conversation on the relationship between race and immigration policy. 

The call for unrestricted immigration and open borders is a red herring.  No responsible policy maker is calling for such things.   But the Republican party has historically been receptive to reasonable levels of legal immigration.    The current lurch toward nativism is something that I, as an old school conservative, oppose.   And I'll be honest - count me among those who believe that opposition to legal immigration -  in the context of our low birthrate economy where experts agree that increased immigration will be essential to sustain economic growth -  is rooted in racism.    I welcome the opportunity to dialogue with those who feel differently. 

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 12:56:39 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide