Author Topic: McConnell: Senate will hold Kavanaugh vote 'this week'  (Read 1069 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell: Senate will hold Kavanaugh vote 'this week'
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:53:44 pm »
McConnell: Senate will hold Kavanaugh vote 'this week'
By Jordain Carney - 10/01/18 04:20 PM EDT

Share to Google+

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said the Senate will hold a vote on Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination this week.

"The time for endless delay and obstruction has come to a close. Judge Kavanaugh's nomination is out of committee. We're considering it here on the floor and ... we'll be voting this week," McConnell said.

McConnell's comments, made during a Senate floor speech, comes as the FBI has to wrap up its investigation into multiple sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh by Friday.

GOP senators and aides have been careful not to pin down a specific timeline on Kavanaugh's nomination, arguing that the FBI could wrap up its work before the Friday deadline.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409340-mcconnell-senate-will-hold-kavanaugh-vote-this-week
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: McConnell: Senate will hold Kavanaugh vote 'this week'
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:54:20 pm »
DON'T POSTPONE THIS AGAIN
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 09:40:40 pm »

Grassley really created a huge problem with all his extensions. He should have ignored Feinstein's last minute stall tactic as soon as it was known she had  the letter from ford since early July. I would love to know if the extensions were because of Flake, or just Grassley being too nice.

I am so mad about this I don't have the words to express it. McConnell better have the votes. If the Pubs blow this, why support them at all. The only thing they've delivered on are judges.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:30 pm »

Amen @mystery-ak   It would be the worst possible thing to agree to another postponement for any reason.  I think the country is on the side of the Republicans right now, but it could slip away if they allow this vile manipulation to continue any longer.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 10:04:29 pm »
Is this thread from this week or last? Seems like we get one of these about every week now.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:07:50 pm »
Is this thread from this week or last? Seems like we get one of these about every week now.

But this time, we mean it, Frank.  Or I'm pretty sure we do.

I think Grassley and McConnell are pretty ticked off.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:08:03 pm »

LOL...it's this week's...
Support the USO

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:16:45 pm »
SOURCE: ROLL CALL

URL: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-brett-kavanaugh-floor-vote-week

by Lex Samuels

Majority leader again decries Democrats for delay and obstruction

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is insisting the vote on confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court will take place before week’s end.

The Kentucky Republican, speaking on the Senate floor Monday afternoon, said the Democrats chose to hold the allegations against Kavanaugh “in reserve” in order to derail the nomination.

He spoke about how the Democrats who first received the allegations handled them. He specifically mentioned a law firm with “politically connected lawyers” that McConnell says Democrats advised Kavanaugh’s accuser to hire. Those lawyers are set to hold a fundraiser for Democrats this week, McConnell said.

McConnell continued by expressing doubt that Democrats would be happy with the one-week investigation and that he expects “soon enough the goal-posts will be on the move once again.”

(Excerpt) Read more at above link...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:18:03 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 10:25:38 pm »
It will happen this week....until it doesn't.....

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 10:28:08 pm »

This is the problem. It should never have come to this.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 10:28:41 pm »
threads merged
Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 10:33:08 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 10:46:20 pm »
As absentee ballots go out this week, time to put all of those obstinate bastards “on the record”.  Let THEM try explain it.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 03:12:30 am »
mystery admonished:
"DON'T POSTPONE THIS AGAIN"

Well, have the vote.
But... Mitch better "have the votes".
I'm still not sure if he does.

If Mitch suddenly changes his mind and the move for a vote just kinda disappears, it's because Murkowski and Collins have told him "no", and Flake will probably double-cross him as well.

In that case, it might be better to put the vote on hold, rather than risk a loss.

I've said it before and I'll repeat:
If the votes "aren't there" right now, don't vote now.
Put the Senate into recess, and Mr. Trump can recess-appoint Kavanaugh, perhaps by Thanksgiving.

The democrat-communists and the media will HOWL.
Let them.

Eisenhower did three -- count 'em, THREE -- recess appointments to the Supreme Court, and all three were later confirmed by the Senate.

The key here is to wait until after the election, in which the Pubbies are expected to pick up 2, 3, perhaps 4 seats.

Then, a quick vote in January -- perhaps one of the Senate's first orders-of-business.

The newbie Republican Senators will be eager to "prove their worth", and I predict that they'll all vote to confirm.

Flake the snake will be gone.

And Collins and Murkowski will no longer matter.

Can't anybody here play this game?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 03:43:57 am »
mystery admonished:
"DON'T POSTPONE THIS AGAIN"

Well, have the vote.
But... Mitch better "have the votes".
I'm still not sure if he does.

If Mitch suddenly changes his mind and the move for a vote just kinda disappears, it's because Murkowski and Collins have told him "no", and Flake will probably double-cross him as well.

In that case, it might be better to put the vote on hold, rather than risk a loss.

I've said it before and I'll repeat:
If the votes "aren't there" right now, don't vote now.
Put the Senate into recess, and Mr. Trump can recess-appoint Kavanaugh, perhaps by Thanksgiving.

The democrat-communists and the media will HOWL.
Let them.

Eisenhower did three -- count 'em, THREE -- recess appointments to the Supreme Court, and all three were later confirmed by the Senate.

The key here is to wait until after the election, in which the Pubbies are expected to pick up 2, 3, perhaps 4 seats.

Then, a quick vote in January -- perhaps one of the Senate's first orders-of-business.

The newbie Republican Senators will be eager to "prove their worth", and I predict that they'll all vote to confirm.

Flake the snake will be gone.

And Collins and Murkowski will no longer matter.

Can't anybody here play this game?

Interesting theory.  McConnell should be able to figure out if he has the votes or not.  If he does, he should go on with the vote and I'm guessing some dems may vote to confirm because this is such a hot button issue.

Question:  If we lose the vote to confirm, can Trump still make a recess appointment?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 04:45:27 am »
threads merged

Senate will hold Kavanaugh vote 'this week'

The dim senate judiciary has just sent their official response on Kavanuagh's status

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 04:48:09 am »
Emjay asked:
"Question:  If we lose the vote to confirm, can Trump still make a recess appointment?"

I don't see why not.

And to repeat -- AFTER the New Year, call ANOTHER vote, this time with enough "ayes" to pass.
(again, no reason why they can't vote a SECOND time)

But in any case, aye or nay, the appointee could STILL "serve out the term of the appointment", up to two years. Because once recess-appointed, the Justice IS a "member of the Court" and could otherwise be removed ONLY by impeachment.