Author Topic: Trump Signs Spending Bill, Averts Shutdown Threat Until December  (Read 1781 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump Signs Spending Bill, Averts Shutdown Threat Until December
« on: September 28, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump signed a massive spending bill on Friday, providing hundreds of billions of dollars for the Department of Defense and averting the threat of a federal government shutdown at least until December.

The bill includes $675 billion to fund the Defense Department for the full year ending on Sept. 30, 2019, as well as additional funds for the wars in Afghanistan and elsewhere, and $180 billion for the Labor, Health and Human Services and Education Departments.

It also includes a measure to keep the federal government open until at least Dec. 7, even though Congress has not yet passed full-year appropriations bills covering every department.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-signs-spending-bill-averts-shutdown-threat-until-191102381--business.html
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:51:14 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Trump signs spending bill, averts shutdown threat until December
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:53:35 pm »
"I say to Congress, I will never sign another bill like this again" - Donald Trump, March 23, 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2018/03/23/trump-threatens-to-veto-omnibus-bill-because-it-does-not-address-daca-recipients/

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Trump Signs Spending Bill, Averts Shutdown Threat Until December
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 02:50:55 pm »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1042740913968164864

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

I want to know, where is the money for Border Security and the WALL in this ridiculous Spending Bill, and where will it come from after the Midterms? Dems are obstructing Law Enforcement and Border Security. REPUBLICANS MUST FINALLY GET TOUGH!
4:43 AM - 20 Sep 2018

Signed it 8 days later

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 07:54:03 pm »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1042740913968164864

Signed it 8 days later

He should be named King of Debt Donald Trump.

While we are watching the political circuses we call government they are busy strapping our children with more debt.  Making sure that they do not fulfill the promises to stop illegal immigration.  Assuring that for the unforeseen future our children will be burdened by uncontrolled immigration.  Resulting in them paying to raise probably millions more illegal immigrant children who protest in our communities for higher wages and labor unions.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-07-18/workers-who-pick-your-summer-berries-are-asking-you-not-buy-them

I along with my children living in this sanctuary state will provide food, medical and every social perk these people can get.  We pay through our property tax for these benefits.  They don't make any less than I do.  I go to the grocery store and see people using government subsidies to fill their two grocery carts and return to their brand new vehicles.  Humvee's brand new trucks and expensive SUV's.  Wearing their name brand clothing and shoes.  Flaunting the fact that they can purchase these vehicles because they don't have to pay for food or health insurance.

And the farms are guilty too.  They can't have it both ways.  Obviously they can hire H2-B, and that is fine with me.  Stop hiring illegal immigrants and forcing us to pay for their families.  H2-B for farm worker requirements. Farm responsible for supplying what all other businesses are responsible for.  Health insurance for the time they work here and whatever housing they need.

And if they supply housing why the heck to they need all these subsidies.  For us citizens that is where our salaries go, to food and housing.  To taxes to make foreigners rich.

So sick of it.  So sick of President Trump and do nothing Republicans.  And then we have Lindsey Graham whose sole agenda is amnesty.

Yeah go ahead and attack me for not supporting Trump.  I knew he was a fraud before you all voted for him.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:05:22 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:39:25 pm »

While we are watching the political circuses we call government they are busy strapping our children with more debt.  Making sure that they do not fulfill the promises to stop illegal immigration.  Assuring that for the unforeseen future our children will be burdened by uncontrolled immigration.  Resulting in them paying to raise probably millions more illegal immigrant children who protest in our communities for higher wages and labor unions.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-07-18/workers-who-pick-your-summer-berries-are-asking-you-not-buy-them

I along with my children living in this sanctuary state will provide food, medical and every social perk these people can get.  We pay through our property tax for these benefits.  They don't make any less than I do.  I go to the grocery store and see people using government subsidies to fill their two grocery carts and return to their brand new vehicles.  Humvee's brand new trucks and expensive SUV's.  Wearing their name brand clothing and shoes.  Flaunting the fact that they can purchase these vehicles because they don't have to pay for food or health insurance.

And the farms are guilty too.  They can't have it both ways.  Obviously they can hire H2-B, and that is fine with me.  Stop hiring illegal immigrants and forcing us to pay for their families.  H2-B for farm worker requirements. Farm responsible for supplying what all other businesses are responsible for.  Health insurance for the time they work here and whatever housing they need.

And if they supply housing why the heck to they need all these subsidies.  For us citizens that is where our salaries go, to food and housing.  To taxes to make foreigners rich.

So sick of it.  So sick of President Trump and do nothing Republicans.  And then we have Lindsey Graham whose sole agenda is amnesty.

Yeah go ahead and attack me for not supporting Trump.  I knew he was a fraud before you all voted for him.

First off...great post. 
Secondly you sound disappointed.  People will call you an American hating liberal, because you don't know how good everything is now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:32:53 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:27:21 pm »
What's Trump's excuse this time? 

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 12:05:29 am »
First off...great post. 
Secondly you sound disappointed.  People will call you an American hating liberal, because you don't know how good everything is now.

Thank you.  Its such a fact.  I am not racist but I work for a living.  I have to take care of my family.  My property taxes have tripled in the last few years.  Education is another thing.  Washington state wide just approved more taxes for public education.

Here are some statistics for immigrants and education.  An increase in immigration.   Immigrant children in poverty are double statistics to natives.  (Probably not true, but they manage to make it work for them).  The costs for poverty level illegal immigrants who speak Spanish in the home for public schools are astronomical.  I pay for it.

https://cis.org/Report/Mapping-Impact-Immigration-Public-Schools

https://freebeacon.com/issues/report-majority-of-illegal-immigrant-households-on-welfare/

Where's the relief for American taxpayers?  How many illegals cross in a month?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/crossing-attempts-at-us-southwest-border-triple-in-march-from-year-ago.html

If our government wants to allow illegal immigration to continue they need to provide relief to its citizens.  We should be compensated for raising other peoples children.  It should be estimated how much of your tax burden Federal and State tax is spent on illegal immigrant families and we should be paid.  There is nothing in the Constitution that says we are responsible to raise other people's children.  I would argue that the government is denying me liberty to choose who I want to give charity to.  I no longer am able because the tax is too high.

If the state wants property owners to raise other people's children they should change voting rules.  Only people who own property should vote. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:03:46 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 12:07:13 am »
Senate Republicans can't even confirm a SCOTUS nominee, Trump didn't write the bill, yeah, let's blame him.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 12:27:52 am »
Expect to hear crickets on this:

Headed into tough re-election, Cruz sides with GOP leaders on big spending bill
BY ANDREA DRUSCH
adrusch@mcclatchydc.com

September 18, 2018 03:44 PM
Updated September 25, 2018 12:49 PM
WASHINGTON
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz on Tuesday broke with Senate conservatives to support a government funding bill that provides a boost in defense spending — along with money for public broadcasting, Head Start programs and the operation of Obamacare.

The move is out of character for Cruz, who five years ago orchestrated a government shutdown in the name of defunding Obamacare.

Just two months ago Cruz boasted that he’d voted against Congress’s then-most recent major spending bill, which he said included the “single biggest rebuilding of our military since Ronald Reagan,” at the expense of “a massive increase in non-defense spending.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article218608365.html#storylink=cpy

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 12:39:23 am »

No crickets. He is wrong. Unfortunately even the best Republicans no longer are willing to take a stand for even the basic principles we fought for not even half a decade ago.

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 12:41:56 am »
Senate Republicans can't even confirm a SCOTUS nominee, Trump didn't write the bill, yeah, let's blame him.

He has the veto pen, he is part of the process. And it isn't like he can play ignorant either. He made a very clear promise in March not to sign a bill like this again. He made a huge speech and many here said he would be good for his word. Shall we revisit the old threads?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Trump signs spending bill, averts shutdown threat until December
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 12:50:22 am »
"I say to Congress, I will never sign another bill like this again" - Donald Trump, March 23, 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2018/03/23/trump-threatens-to-veto-omnibus-bill-because-it-does-not-address-daca-recipients/

Trump's campaign promises around fiscal responsibility were so FOS.

Is this what the Trump faction wanted?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 01:05:07 am »

The biggest cricket sound is coming from the president, who was never going to sign another.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 01:06:44 am »
He has the veto pen, he is part of the process. And it isn't like he can play ignorant either. He made a very clear promise in March not to sign a bill like this again. He made a huge speech and many here said he would be good for his word. Shall we revisit the old threads?

No, we know. But most of the economic news is very good without being able to go deeply into it. The positives outweigh the negatives to many people. Your opinion may be different on this.

And of course, we have it where many who gripe about it, didn't like him from the outset, didn't vote for him. There is perspective.

Some have niggled on any little thing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:07:42 am by TomSea »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 01:08:24 am »

I have moved along with Cruz.  And if he had become president I wouldn't hold back at being critical.  I have always criticized every president when they deserved it.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 01:08:36 am »
The biggest cricket sound is coming from the president, who was never going to sign another.

One has to make a meal out of it. Good!

Online DB

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 01:17:15 am »

People who hire illegals are thieves in their community. So they can save a buck they burden the community with all the costs. From hospitals, law enforcement, jails, schools, welfare to gangs, crime and tax evasion.

Shame on them.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 01:19:16 am »
People who hire illegals are thieves in their community. So they can save a buck they burden the community with all the costs. From hospitals, law enforcement, jails, schools, welfare to gangs, crime and tax evasion.

Shame on them.

Amen, shame on them!!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 02:00:17 am »
I understand, the government would have been shut down previous to the Mid-Term elections. Oh, yes, what a great idea that would be.... on the other hand, Planned Parenthood is funded again.

https://ijr.com/2018/09/1126738-pro-life-leaders-send-letter-asking-trump-to-veto-gop-approved-spending-bill-that-funds-planned-parenthood/

So, unfortunately, one might not to shut down the govt. right before the Midterm elections.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 02:06:45 am »
I understand, the government would have been shut down previous to the Mid-Term elections. Oh, yes, what a great idea that would be.... on the other hand, Planned Parenthood is funded again.

https://ijr.com/2018/09/1126738-pro-life-leaders-send-letter-asking-trump-to-veto-gop-approved-spending-bill-that-funds-planned-parenthood/

So, unfortunately, one might not to shut down the govt. right before the Midterm elections.

I guess if you are a politician who didn't understand what people voted for.  I am certain that a good portion of the citizens would appreciate the president taking a stand on what was promised.  Adding more debt wasn't one.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:11:32 am by TomSea »

Online corbe

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 02:10:48 am »
   History shows that the arch villain Cruz shut the Govt down in 2013 and the next Midterms gained the GOP 9 Senate seats, giving them the Majority, 13 House seats, maintaining their majority and 2 Governorships.   Oh my, they killed Kenny!!!!!!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 02:13:50 am »
I guess if you are a politician who didn't understand what people voted for.  I am certain that a good portion of the citizens would appreciate the president taking a stand on what was promised.  Adding more debt wasn't one.

Trump did not campaign on trimming down the budget, at least in his first year or two, that's actually correct and some of his supporters did not vote for that aspect of his campaign.

P.S. Accidentally hit modify on your post when I meant to hit quote. Your total statement was kept in tact. Apologies if there is a minsunderstanding.

Also, let's remember, if the government shut down, it could adversely affect the chances of Republicans as the shut down would happen right before the Mid-Terms.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 02:18:23 am »
And as Rand Paul has proven to be a very Conservative leader, he once again tried to put an end to Planned Parenthood funding.  And once again our liberal leaning Murkowski and Collins to the rescue.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/rand-paul-fumes-republicans-saying-blocking-abortion-amendment

Trump should not have signed it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:19:02 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 02:23:44 am »
Trump did not campaign on trimming down the budget, at least in his first year or two, that's actually correct and some of his supporters did not vote for that aspect of his campaign.

P.S. Accidentally hit modify on your post when I meant to hit quote. Your total statement was kept in tact. Apologies if there is a minsunderstanding.

Also, let's remember, if the government shut down, it could adversely affect the chances of Republicans as the shut down would happen right before the Mid-Terms.

Would it?  Shut down would not last long and Trump would be a winner.  Most importantly Americans would be the winner.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 02:26:27 am »
   History shows that the arch villain Cruz shut the Govt down in 2013 and the next Midterms gained the GOP 9 Senate seats, giving them the Majority, 13 House seats, maintaining their majority and 2 Governorships.   Oh my, they killed Kenny!!!!!!

It’s almost like doing the right thing pays off in the long run! Who'd a thunk? Oh that’s right, constitutional conservatives who are constantly lambasted for constitutional beliefs.
I stand with Roosgirl.