Author Topic: 10 Red Flags About Sexual Assault Claims, From An Employment Lawyer  (Read 1689 times)

Offline ConstitutionRose

When the complaint is “he said/she said,” we should not helplessly acquiesce to coin-flip justice that picks winners and losers based upon the identity politics profile of the accused and accuser. Experience with a career’s worth of complaints in hearings, depositions, and negotiations has taught me some tells, red flags that warn that an innocent person stands accused.

Without naming any particular accusation, I offer these factors for consideration to the fair-minded who remain open to the possibility that guilt or innocence is not simply a question of politics. I also remind the reader that politicizing these accusations have allowed men like Harvey Weinstein, Al Franken, Matt Lauer, Les Moonves, Bill Clinton, and Keith Ellison to escape accountability. Nobody seems to care if they walk the walk so long as they talk the talk.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/09/25/10-red-flags-sexual-assault-claims-employment-lawyer/

Read it.  All ten red flags apply to the accusations against Judge Kavanaugh.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: 10 Red Flags About Sexual Assault Claims, From An Employment Lawyer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:56:35 pm »
Good article. All the red flags mentioned are present in the smear of Kavanaugh.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline kidd

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 01:32:47 am »
Thanks for posting this.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 02:36:13 am »
Bookmarked!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:36:10 am »
Great article! Thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

10 Red Flags About Sexual Assault Claims, From An Employment Lawyer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:55:16 am »
The Federalist, Sep 25, 2018, Adam Mill

I stand athwart the streamroller of sexual misconduct complaints that crush the innocent, end marriages, and destroy careers. In the Me Too era, I am an employment attorney in the politically incorrect vocation of defending who must pay if misconduct is found.

[...]

I don’t interrupt. I don’t impugn. I just ask the accuser to walk me through what he or she is saying entitles him or her to damages. We know from cases like the Duke lacrosse team that mob justice can trample defense of the falsely accused.

It’s not nice or politically correct to say, but people do sometimes lie to get money, revenge, power, attention, or political advantage. False allegations of sexual assault have been documented. Even the most pro-accuser advocates acknowledge that 5 percent of the claims are simply false.

When the complaint is “he said/she said,” we should not helplessly acquiesce to coin-flip justice that picks winners and losers based upon the identity politics profile of the accused and accuser. Experience with a career’s worth of complaints in hearings, depositions, and negotiations has taught me some tells, red flags that warn that an innocent person stands accused.

More:  https://thefederalist.com/2018/09/25/10-red-flags-sexual-assault-claims-employment-lawyer/

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:00:00 pm »
7. The accuser makes unusual demands to modify or control the process.
It’s a flag when the accuser demands a new investigator or judge without having a substantial basis for challenging the impartiality of the process that’s already in place.

8. When the accuser’s ability to identify the accused has not been properly explained.
In the Duke lacrosse case, the accuser was shown a lineup of photos of potential attackers. Every photo was of a member of the team. None were of people known to be innocent. It’s a red flag when an identification is made only after the accused appears in media and the accuser has not seen the accused for a number of years or was otherwise in regular contact with the accused.

9. When witnesses don’t corroborate.

10. When corroborating witnesses simply repeat the accusation of the accuser but don’t have fresh information.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 12:01:30 pm »
Flags 1-6 fit like a glove, too.  IMHO.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 12:10:06 pm »
Based on this article, Ford is a fraud.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 12:24:03 pm »
This article should be required reading for the committee and the full senate. 

As far as the author's assertion that these usually illegitimate claims will forever be part of the process in elections and Supreme Court nominations -- well, it doesn't have to be that way if the accused and his party fight back. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 12:47:33 pm »
As an employment lawyer myself, I can say that article is completely accurate.  Pretty much the mental checklist you go down when deciding what to believe.

I'll reiterate his point that there is generally a grain of truth in most harassment allegations.  The grain sometimes is tiny, but it's usually something -- that's how people can convince themselves that they're justified even if they're lying about the larger issue.  But the grain is often completely innocuous behavior distorted out of all proportion.  Where some accused can get in trouble is if they're angry at the false implication/characterization being made, so they deny even the grain of truth.  And if there is some extrinsic evidence that the grain is true, all of sudden the truly innocent accused looks like a liar on that little issue, so people start wondering if the larger lie is true as well.

This case is different, though.  You've got a very smart, experienced judge who knows that he should admit any innocent grains that are true for his own benefit, yet he's flatly denying the entire basis of it.  And on his side, none of the corroborating witnesses are backing up the accuser, so there is not even a shred of extrinsic evidence that there is a "grain" of truth (such as him being present at the party at all).   He's the kind of guy I'd believe is telling the truth.

Everything else -- rightly -- suggests this is a false accusation as well.  The complete lack of any contemporaneous corroboration, and the frankly curious lack of her ability to identify even the month in which this supposedly happened.

This accusation reeks.

Online Mod2

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 01:55:08 pm »
Topics merged.

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 04:16:55 pm »

It’s not nice or politically correct to say, but people do sometimes lie to get money, revenge, power, attention, or political advantage. False allegations of assault have been documented.
Adam Mill
By Adam Mill   
September 25, 2018

I stand athwart the streamroller of sexual misconduct complaints that crush the innocent, end marriages, and destroy careers. In the Me Too era, I am an employment attorney in the politically incorrect vocation of defending who must pay if misconduct is found.

My skin is thick, and I do not melt when asked, “How dare you!” I dare because I do not want the innocent to be wrongly punished. I know it’s a very unfashionable to advocate on behalf of the presumption of innocence, and I am often reminded of how insensitive and outdated the principle is in today’s climate.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/09/25/10-red-flags-sexual-assault-claims-employment-lawyer/

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 04:46:27 pm »
Topics merged.

Thank you.  I was just about to ask you to do so.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 05:03:42 pm »
Excellent source material explaining aspects of False Sexual Assault Claims.

Note we see a number of these in the Ford claim.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 05:22:41 pm »
The depravity/deviousness of the liberal media is witnessed in the twitter feed by a lib reporter that Ford has "corroborating" witnesses to her claim of sexual assault by Kavanaugh.
Except they're not corroborating witnesses. They're people she supposedly told her tale to.
Bottom line: they weren't there, they're just acknowledging what Ford told them.
She  is still providing no facts about her claim. We're still supposed to believe her word with no facts to back up her claims.

Offline MOD3

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 10:30:43 pm »
Topics merged.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 11:02:41 pm »
Read it.  All ten red flags apply to the accusations against Judge Kavanaugh.

Absolutely!   All those and more.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien