Author Topic: Christine Blasey Ford Makes Ridiculous Demands Before Testifying  (Read 7236 times)

Offline Axeslinger

Re: Christine Blasey Ford Makes Ridiculous Demands Before Testifying
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2018, 10:06:03 pm »
   Despite her political bent @Axeslinger she argues her position passionately, PLUS she pizzes off @Right_in_Virginia so she earns a spot on my list.   @LauraTXNM

@corbe

Yeah, all those assholes at every rally the libtards hold argue their position passionately...doesn’t mean they know their ass from a hole in the ground. 

I agree about the RiV thing though...that part’s fun.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2018, 10:23:53 pm »
jpsb asked:
"Question, what happens if K is seated after the court is in session? say Oct 5th instead of Oct 1st?"

I'm no expert, but seems to me that...

Any cases heard between Oct 1-4 will be decided by the eight Justices seated.

As of Oct. 5th, the "9th seat vacancy" is filled, and cases head after that will be decided by 9 Justices (Kavanaugh included).

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:24 pm »
I agree about the RiV thing though...that part’s fun.

Now this just hurts my feelings @Axeslinger 

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2018, 10:28:42 pm »
(sigh)...

It's Friday, Senator Grassley's "red line" of 10.00am has past, not much news since other than rumors that the Pubbies are "negotiating" (again) for an "appearance" later in the week.

So...
Once again, I must ask:
"Can't anybody here play this game???"

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:52 pm »
That's obviously his choice.  But it is incontrovertible that the President can request further investigation, and the FBI would do it.  It's false of other posters to say it isn't standard practice.

What federal law has been violated that would provide ANY FBI jurisdiction?   What exactly should the president ask them to investigate?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2018, 10:55:24 pm »
What federal law has been violated that would provide ANY FBI jurisdiction?   What exactly should the president ask them to investigate?

How does one investigate a possible event with no location or date from over thirty years ago? Ridiculous.

And now the accuser is afraid to get on an airplane. The conditions will never end. Lucy moving the football again.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2018, 10:58:47 pm »
How does one investigate a possible event with no location or date from over thirty years ago? Ridiculous.

And now the accuser is afraid to get on an airplane. The conditions will never end. Lucy moving the football again.

Not again!  Still!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jpsb

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2018, 11:01:02 pm »
@mrclose @Bigun  I can find a more right-leaning source if you'd like, but FBI is the agent of the President in cases of presidential appointees.  All that's needed is for the President to request additional investigation. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/can-fbi-investigate-allegation-against-brett-kavanaugh-n911036

I guess you missed this.

:thumbsup:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2018, 11:09:40 pm »
But, but, but....#MeToo!!!!

I though the image below was pretty funny

Silver Pines

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2018, 12:43:30 am »
I though the image below was pretty funny

@jpsb, I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure most adults are familiar with hashtags now.   wink777

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2018, 01:05:25 am »
Now you're being deliberately obtuse @LauraTXNM and you are really pissing me off.

@Right_in_Virginia  I do think I understand the various forms of political obstruction happening, yes.  Check out the story about the White House and Whelan, for another example.

If I make you that angry, will you block me?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2018, 01:07:34 am »
No, ma'am it was not inconclusive - they "found no foundation" to the claims.  Quite a bit different.

@Sanguine Nope, President Bush said he found it inconclusive.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2018, 01:09:12 am »
Ta, @Axeslinger and @corbe!  XOXO

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2018, 01:11:01 am »
jpsb asked:
"Question, what happens if K is seated after the court is in session? say Oct 5th instead of Oct 1st?"

I'm no expert, but seems to me that...

Any cases heard between Oct 1-4 will be decided by the eight Justices seated.

As of Oct. 5th, the "9th seat vacancy" is filled, and cases head after that will be decided by 9 Justices (Kavanaugh included).

@Fishrrman @jpsb  Yes, I thought Kavanaugh would be seated as soon as confirmed (or on October 1).  If he misses a few days, it doesn't mean he isn't seated until June 2019 or whenever.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2018, 01:13:10 am »

The President would ask the FBI for further background investigation.  There is no question of jurisdiction; it falls under the FBI's role as investigators of Presidential nominees.  This is all academic, of course.  But people trying to say there's no jurisdiction, or it can't be done, are flat wrong.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2018, 01:13:27 am »
@Sanguine Nope, President Bush said he found it inconclusive.

He said a lot of things, however, the FBI used the term "without foundation".

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2018, 01:15:35 am »
@jpsb, I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure most adults are familiar with hashtags now.   wink777

@CatherineofAragon @jpsb  Made-me-feel-old moment: 14-y-o son gets his first bank card.  His pin doesn't work.  Why?  Because when he and the bank manager set it, he didn't know what the pound key was. 

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2018, 01:15:46 am »
I think Grassley's doing a damn fine job.

GOP declines to subpoena Kavanaugh classmate, rejects other demands
The Hill, Sep 21, 2018

Republicans said Friday that they are rejecting several requests from a woman accusing Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault, including that they subpoena a potential witness and make the Supreme Court nominee testify first.

[...]

Staff for Grassley said Ford’s lawyers wanted them to subpoena Mark Judge, a Kavanaugh classmate whom she has named as a witness to the alleged assault at a high school party in the early 1980s, as well as call other witnesses to testify.

Grassley is rejecting both requests, noting he can’t make subpoenaing a witness a precursor to an agreement.

“You went on television earlier this week and said Dr. Ford wants the chance to tell her story in public and under oath. This is the opportunity we have given her. We don’t need to subpoena additional witnesses to do that,” Grassley’s staff wrote.

Ford also requested that Kavanaugh testify first, something Grassley is also rejecting, according to the letter Friday.

“The accused has the right to respond to allegations that are made about him. Judge Kavanaugh cannot be expected to respond to allegations that have been made to the press,” staff for Grassley said.

The public release of the letter comes as staff for Grassley and Ford’s lawyers have been in a flurry of talks about a potential hearing next week.

The GOP chairman has given lawyers for Ford until 10 p.m. on Friday to reach an agreement.

Grassley’s staff say they have accommodated Ford on several requests including limiting the number of cameras in the room, not allowing Kavanaugh in the room with her and sharing concerns about her safety.

“Capitol Police offers more than adequate security. The Senate hosts the President, Vice President, Cabinet secretaries, heads of state, and other prominent public figures all the time with the necessary precautions,” they wrote.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/407872-gop-declines-to-subpoena-kavanaugh-classmate-rejects-other-demands

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2018, 01:17:22 am »
@Fishrrman @jpsb  Yes, I thought Kavanaugh would be seated as soon as confirmed (or on October 1).  If he misses a few days, it doesn't mean he isn't seated until June 2019 or whenever.

He's seated October 1 or he's not seated.

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2018, 01:17:53 am »
Well, Mr. Grassley -- after having erased his first "red line" of 10.00am this morning -- now has set ANOTHER red line of 10.00pm this evening.

As I write this, about 44 minutes to go.

Mr. Grassley, will you need another eraser?

Again:
Can't anybody here play this game???

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2018, 01:19:31 am »
Right in Virginia claims:
"He's seated October 1 or he's not seated."

Provide documentation for this statement.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2018, 01:19:35 am »
He's seated October 1 or he's not seated.

@Right_in_Virginia  Thanks for the info!  Then I definitely think they need to vote before October 1.

Offline corbe

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2018, 01:28:53 am »
Meanwhile, in her Trump Tower Condo, waiting patiently by the phone.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2018, 01:40:38 am »
Lawyer wants one more day 9999hair out0000
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2018, 01:41:16 am »
Right in Virginia claims:
"He's seated October 1 or he's not seated."

Provide documentation for this statement.

Sorry @Fishrrman  ... this is based on Senate rules.  The delay in her testifying until next Thursday pushes the vote beyond Oct 1.  The politics of midterm elections will sink a vote at this point and Kavanaugh's nomination is for all purposes be dead in the water.  If the Dems take the Senate, the SC will stay an 8 body bench for the next two years. 

If we retain the Senate he's nomination could be brought back to life, but it's unlikely.