Author Topic: In The Throes Of A REAL Coup...  (Read 11070 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: In The Throes Of A REAL Coup...
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2018, 04:07:00 pm »
--------------------------------
So America is the greatest ever???
Reflect on these a moment.
* Representative Governance in the form of a Republic or Democracy (Pericles and Solon).
* Geometry, which showed the creation of structure in 3-dimensi space (Euclid and Pythagoras).
* History, a timeline of the past identifying place and person (Herodotus and Thucydides).
* Stories reflecting the experiences of Man in the form of the:
   #Novel (Homer's Iliad and Odyssey),
   #Drama (such as the Comedies of Aristophanes or the Tragedies of Aeschylus and Sophocles),
   #Poetry (Pindar).
* Architecture, including the Acropolis and Parthenon.
* Logic and Philosophy (Plato and Aristotle).
* Science, among them:
   #Botany which measured the economic importance of plant life; the catalyst for formal Agriculture,
   #Biology which determined the life span of living organisms,
   #Medicine which identified and sought the cure of disease, leading to Surgery,
   #Physics which measured energy, force and motion within mature.
These are a few of the creations from the Greeks of Athens, Corinth, Thebes
and the rest; spanning dozens of pages in the Britannica.
Humility not hubris is the prerequisite for reflection and learning; understanding that we are mere
dwarfs who understand what we do because of the legacy of knowledge and wisdom created by the Giants of Antiquity who preceded us and upon whose shoulders we stand!!!

Thank you sooooo much.  I had no idea @Absalom that the Greeks created anything at all.  So interesting to learn all that.

I was talking about America in terms of how great a country it is to the common people who live here.  I don't think any other country in history has been so kind to all its citizens with some notable but rare exceptions.

Your post was chock full of hubris and condescension.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2018, 04:11:10 pm »
--------------------------------
So America is the greatest ever???
Reflect on these a moment.
* Representative Governance in the form of a Republic or Democracy (Pericles and Solon).
* Geometry, which showed the creation of structure in 3-dimensi space (Euclid and Pythagoras).
* History, a timeline of the past identifying place and person (Herodotus and Thucydides).
* Stories reflecting the experiences of Man in the form of the:
   #Novel (Homer's Iliad and Odyssey),
   #Drama (such as the Comedies of Aristophanes or the Tragedies of Aeschylus and Sophocles),
   #Poetry (Pindar).
* Architecture, including the Acropolis and Parthenon.
* Logic and Philosophy (Plato and Aristotle).
* Science, among them:
   #Botany which measured the economic importance of plant life; the catalyst for formal Agriculture,
   #Biology which determined the life span of living organisms,
   #Medicine which identified and sought the cure of disease, leading to Surgery,
   #Physics which measured energy, force and motion within mature.
These are a few of the creations from the Greeks of Athens, Corinth, Thebes
and the rest; spanning dozens of pages in the Britannica.
Humility not hubris is the prerequisite for reflection and learning; understanding that we are mere
dwarfs who understand what we do because of the legacy of knowledge and wisdom created by the Giants of Antiquity who preceded us and upon whose shoulders we stand!!!

Along side early Rome, America is the greatest model of an internally peaceful and internationally powerful Republic the world has ever seen. My MA is in Ancient History and I'm a "fanatical" student of Greece and Rome...and your "list" is a great recitation of the tremendous accomplishments of the very Pagans who were the first great proponents of the concepts of Democracy, Morality and Reason.

No one can expound more profoundly on morality than Plato, Cicero, Aurelius and Julian (the Apostate)...men who make Augustine read like a pedantic 3rd grader.

America, via the great thinkers of the Enlightenment and the British Common Law, is the natural offspring of Greek moral and political thought. Morality and ethics are not tied to any particular religious belief, but thrive when reason and philosophy are freely ascendant in a MODERATELY religious society...which is why we have had deeply moralistic pagan societies and corrupt Christian and Islamic states. And vice versa, of course. That said, the kind of moderate Christian ethos that tied together the Founding Fathers, was an essential moral underpinning to our Constitution and our ensuing governance...and it still is. Should that underpinning dissipate, or alternately grow to encompass our governance, the Republic is sure to fail...a balance must always be maintained in which religious belief influences citizens to make moral choices without directly inculcating government with its particular tenets.

In summary, yes...America IS the greatest ever.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:16:26 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2018, 04:26:13 pm »
Along side early Rome, America is the greatest model of an internally peaceful and internationally powerful Republic the world has ever seen. My MA is in Ancient History and I'm a "fanatical" student of Greece and Rome...and your "list" is a great recitation of the tremendous accomplishments of the very Pagans who were the first great proponents of the concepts of Democracy, Morality and Reason.

No one can expound more profoundly on morality than Plato, Cicero, Aurelius and Julian (the Apostate)...men who make Augustine read like a pedantic 3rd grader.

America, via the great thinkers of the Enlightenment and the British Common Law, is the natural offspring of Greek moral and political thought. Morality and ethics are not tied to any particular religious belief, but thrive when reason and philosophy are freely ascendant in a MODERATELY religious society...which is why we have had deeply moralistic pagan societies and corrupt Christian and Islamic states. And vice versa, of course. That said, the kind of moderate Christian ethos that tied together the Founding Fathers, was an essential moral underpinning to our Constitution and our ensuing governance...and it still is. Should that underpinning dissipate, or alternately grow to encompass our governance, the Republic is sure to fail...a balance must always be maintained in which religious belief influences citizens to make moral choices without directly inculcating government with its particular tenets.

Woo hoo @Mesaclone   I tried to hit him with some much-needed sarcasm but you did it with facts.

Thank you so much.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2018, 07:26:15 pm »
Thank you sooooo much.  I had no idea @Absalom that the Greeks created anything at all.  So interesting to learn all that.

I was talking about America in terms of how great a country it is to the common people who live here.  I don't think any other country in history has been so kind to all its citizens with some notable but rare exceptions.

Your post was chock full of hubris and condescension.
-------------------------------
Obviously anything involving knowledge sends you over the cliff.
Sadly predictable. Bye-bye.
P.S. Don't forget to replace your table.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2018, 07:43:58 pm »

You just got your azz handed to you by Mesaclone so it might be a good idea to shut up.

By the way, I am a relatively educated person and quite familiar with the Greeks, but, hey, they didn't invent the iPhone, did they.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2018, 07:46:36 pm »

I'm amazed that you show your face around here after you have been sent to the woodshed.  I notice you did not reply to @Mesaclone since he is obviously more knowledgeable than you, along with being more just plain sensible.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2018, 08:47:53 pm »

Plus @Absalom  you cannot even grasp sarcasm.

To think you went on this rant because I said I wasn't in the grips of malaise and that I think America is a great country.

Maybe you should try living in Greece.

Offline corbe

« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2018, 08:51:52 pm »
    @Emjay Do you abuse your Maid?  asking for a friend.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2018, 08:55:29 pm »
    @Emjay Do you abuse your Maid?  asking for a friend.

Yeah, right, corbe.  If I had a maid, I would kiss her ring.

How about you?  Also asking for a friend.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2018, 09:11:37 pm »
Emjay, what the heck is all that?  Wow.

Offline corbe

« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2018, 09:35:01 pm »
   Yes, I abuse my Maid, she actually enjoys the lavishly laid flattery so much she gives me a discount (or so she claims).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2018, 10:01:06 pm »
Yeah, right, corbe.  If I had a maid, I would kiss her ring.

How about you?  Also asking for a friend.

Emjay,
Corbe has gone into full petulant troll mode so its futile trying to have a discussion with him. Some get angry when they've lost an argument...some disappear from the board and presumably sulk...some engage in ranting and diatribes...Corbe trolls.

When he emerges from his butt healing phase, rational discussion will once again be possible. As for Absalom, seems more like a kid who just studied a small section on ancient history...ran to Wiki to get a list of ancient achievements...and then slapped them into a post in which only a few of the items he used were salient to the discussion. 

You are a clear and reasonable thinker and I enjoy nearly everything you write. Keep doing what you do and know that most here greatly enjoy you.

@Emjay
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:01:37 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2018, 10:04:10 pm »
Hallelujah. At least one more, cranial extraction.
Hallelujah. " @INVAR is a trumper."  Add it to that ridiculous list of Trump accomplishment three or four times.  Put it right under "Stopped North Korean Nukes."  If I admit the press is biased, and maybe it is his real hair can I join too?

« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2018, 10:10:47 pm »
Apparently rumors of a successful cranial extraction, were premature.

That's no excuse not to add it to the list of Trump accomplishments.

« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2018, 10:16:42 pm »
Not my point. Look to the right, and what the right is espousing.
Liberalism does not win by merit. It has none.
It wins because it has no opposition.
@roamer_1
Succinct, logical, inarguable, and devastating.  I wish I wrote it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:19 pm »

@Mesaclone
That's because Augustine was a pedantic 3rd grader.

I understand where your thinking comes from, as Greco-Roman thought undoubtedly forms the basis of what the western philosophers call 'reason'... But in that I would point out a certain romanticized view... While both were successful enough to produce an elite class that had time enough to sit on their fat rumps and ponder their navels, both were also extremely brutal caste driven societies, whose underclasses and slaves suffered bitterly in order to sustain those heightened seats for those glorified asses. It is little wonder that both of these are identified as 'beast' systems in the Word.

As the West would have it, there was nothing but grunting and farting before Pythagoras penned his worthy tomes, but that is largely described by the hubris of our historians, leaning upon earlier works in the West, which were by every account, ignorant of history beyond that described by Rome, as the West crawled from the muddy and bloody depths of the dark ages, to stand once again... No doubt the educated classes sitting in the rubble pined for the Pax Romana, and forgot entirely that it had been imposed upon them at the tip of  very brutal sword.

And yet all the truly great works in history - Those hallmarks of culture that many would point to, suggest that the Greeks were hardly the start of things... The pyramids put Pythagoras, Euclid, and even Isaac Newton to shame, in their construction, and confound the best minds all the way to today in their construction. And I do not mean merely the pyramids of Egypt, but the pyramids everywhere - And they are everywhere.

We could no more build them today than we could lift and transport the 3 sisters of Baalbek. It is beyond us even now.

Likewise in philosophy. Torah extends far before the Greeks, as evidenced in the ground, and contains all the prerequisites of a Republican form, albeit designed around familial patriarchs. Zoroaster likewise, came far before the Greeks, to name just two.

America, via the great thinkers of the Enlightenment and the British Common Law, is the natural offspring of Greek moral and political thought. Morality and ethics are not tied to any particular religious belief, but thrive when reason and philosophy are freely ascendant in a MODERATELY religious society...which is why we have had deeply moralistic pagan societies and corrupt Christian and Islamic states.

In part, that is true.
I have often said that an American Conservative's conscience should rightly be formed by civil-libertariansim in friendly opposition to the Judeo-Christian Ethic... And it is through that prism that reason can be applied.

But let's not forget which one of those two inherently marks the culture - It is ethos that forms a society, and makes it governable. not reason. Law is a function of ethic, more so that reason.

And vice versa, of course. That said, the kind of moderate Christian ethos that tied together the Founding Fathers, was an essential moral underpinning to our Constitution and our ensuing governance...and it still is. Should that underpinning dissipate, or alternately grow to encompass our governance, the Republic is sure to fail...a balance must always be maintained in which religious belief influences citizens to make moral choices without directly inculcating government with its particular tenets.

In that we agree, most profoundly, to the extent it can be done.
 :beer:

And that.

« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:32 pm »
  Absolutely no one is going to blame you @Emjay for the inevitable demise of our Country, especially if @Right_in_Virginia is still around.
@corbe Uncalled for.  I'm actually ashamed at how hard I'm laughing.

« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2018, 10:35:16 pm »
Noting the cranial extraction was suspended unfinished, the attention was  none the less provided.
3 posts - 3 "cranial extraction" insults.  It was even funnier the 3rd time @truth_seeker

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2018, 10:49:40 pm »
@corbe Uncalled for.  I'm actually ashamed at how hard I'm laughing.

You should stop by our home when we're drinking our morning coffee and reviewing your late night spewing.  We feel zero shame over our snot laughing.  In fact, we share it and the reasons with rational people across the District. 

And we ALL thank you.   88devil   888high58888

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:43 pm »
Emjay,
Corbe has gone into full petulant troll mode so its futile trying to have a discussion with him. Some get angry when they've lost an argument...some disappear from the board and presumably sulk...some engage in ranting and diatribes...Corbe trolls.

When he emerges from his butt healing phase, rational discussion will once again be possible. As for Absalom, seems more like a kid who just studied a small section on ancient history...ran to Wiki to get a list of ancient achievements...and then slapped them into a post in which only a few of the items he used were salient to the discussion. 

You are a clear and reasonable thinker and I enjoy nearly everything you write. Keep doing what you do and know that most here greatly enjoy you.

@Emjay

Hear!  Hear!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline corbe

« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2018, 10:56:55 pm »
   I am aware of my trolling habits and have been admonished by the Mods on multiple occasions.
   My Family conducted an Intervention weeks ago and I am currently on the waiting list for Hill Country Rehab for trollers.
   Wish me luck.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2018, 11:03:57 pm »
   I am aware of my trolling habits and have been admonished by the Mods on multiple occasions.
   My Family conducted an Intervention weeks ago and I am currently on the waiting list for Hill Country Rehab for trollers.
   Wish me luck.

Rehab - Yeah... they're pretty good.

! No longer available

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2018, 11:04:42 pm »
@roamer_1
Succinct, logical, inarguable, and devastating.  I wish I wrote it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2018, 11:06:45 pm »
You should stop by our home when we're drinking our morning coffee and reviewing your late night spewing.  We feel zero shame over our snot laughing.  In fact, we share it and the reasons with rational people across the District. 

And we ALL thank you.   88devil   888high58888

Wait, you share your snot?

:3:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2018, 11:10:19 pm »
   Wish me luck.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.