Author Topic: South Africa's top court legalises personal cannabis use  (Read 435 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
South Africa's top court legalises personal cannabis use
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:48:31 am »
South Africa's top court legalises personal cannabis use

A man smokes a joint after South Africa's top court ruled that personal cannabis use is legal on September 18 Credit:  WIKUS DE WET/AFP 
    Agence France-Presse
18 September 2018 • 5:01pm

South Africa's top court ruled Tuesday that private, personal cannabis use was legal in a landmark case that pit law enforcement agencies against marijuana advocates and the judiciary.

Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, delivering the Johannesburg-based Constitutional Court's unanimous verdict, declared the law banning marijuana use in private by adults "unconstitutional and therefore invalid".

"It will not be a criminal offence for an adult person to use or be in possession of cannabis in private for his or her personal consumption," he said, reading the ruling to cheers from the public gallery.

Read more at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/18/south-africas-top-court-legalises-personal-cannabis-use/

I always wonder, with talk of all of the racial unrest in SA and yes, we should be concerned,  other stories, per the above photo, show a more "normal" society (if one can say that in a case about legalizing pot that is). But I've noted a few other stories like this too. White guy smoking a jay.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:26:01 am by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn