Author Topic: Grassley working to set up calls with Kavanaugh, accuser before vote  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Grassley working to set up calls with Kavanaugh, accuser before vote
The Hill, Sep 16, 2018, Jordain Carney

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, is working to set up separate phone calls with Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and his accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, before a committee vote scheduled for Thursday.

"Given the late addendum to the background file and revelations of Dr. Ford’s identity, Chairman Grassley is actively working to set up such follow-up calls with Judge Kavanaugh and Dr. Ford ahead of Thursday’s scheduled vote," a spokesman for Grassley said on Sunday. 

The aide added that "the Chairman and Ranking Member routinely hold bipartisan staff calls with nominees when updates are made to nominees’ background files."

More:  http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/406939-grassley-working-to-set-up-calls-with-kavanaugh-ford-before-vote

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Grassley working to set up calls with Kavanaugh, accuser before vote
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 02:21:50 am »
This doesn't look good as far as a vote on Thurs.

I was just on twitter and couldn't believe how many Repubs are ready to throw Kavanaugh under the bus so Trump can hurry and nominate someone else...do they not realize the next nominee will be attacked by the Dems too!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:39:59 am »
Grassley’s office says in a statement, “It’s disturbing that these uncorroborated allegations from more than 35 years ago, during high school, would surface on the eve of a committee vote after Democrats sat on them since July. If Ranking Member Feinstein and other Committee Democrats took this claim seriously, they should have brought it to the full Committee’s attention much earlier. Instead, they said nothing during two joint phone calls with the nominee in August, four days of lengthy public hearings, a closed session for all committee members with the nominee where sensitive topics can be discussed and in more than 1,300 written questions.”

https://www.mediaite.com/online/sen-grassleys-office-disturbing-that-uncorroborated-allegations-against-kavanaugh-would-only-now-surface/

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:47:21 am »

I was just on twitter and couldn't believe how many Repubs are ready to throw Kavanaugh under the bus so Trump can hurry and nominate someone else...do they not realize the next nominee will be attacked by the Dems too!

I saw two of the twitter quotes you posted ... and I doubt they're from Republicans @mystery-ak

But, as usual, the GOP caucus has not held together.  Grassley's hands are being tied by members of his own caucus.  Hopefully this will be a satisfactory compromise for the R side of the aisle.  D's are a lost cause.

In the meantime, some of the best investigators need to be crawling through this woman's life---the woman who has scrubbed her social media footprint clean for reasons we need to know.  But this should just be a challenge for a good investigator and we're going to need all the information we can find because vote or no vote, this is now an election issue.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:55:51 am »
Both Flake and Corker are saying they want to hear from this woman.  Kavanaugh looked like a good pick, but in hindsight perhaps a woman would have been a wiser choice in the MeToo era.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:41:09 am »
   I really don't see the problem with Kavanaugh, as long as he recuses himself from any case having to do with young women in bikinis drinking beer.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:32:08 am »

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1041397738645028864

Ryan Saavedra @RealSaavedra

Judge Brett Kavanaugh's accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, has donated money to the Democratic National Committee (DNC), Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC), and Friends Of Bernie Sanders.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 04:52:22 am »

I do not like it that Grassley seems to think he should give this woman and her little partner-in-crime DiFi the time of day.  The charge is ancient; it cannot be proven and she is an obvious democrat plant.

It is an insult to Kavanaugh and all of us to even consider this bogus charge.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 05:42:48 am »
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/mike-pence-dumped-college-fiancee-sinner-narced-beer-drinking-frat-bros-report/

Mike Pence dumped his college fiancee for being a 'sinner' and narced on his beer-drinking frat bros: report

https://twitter.com/CalebHowe/status/1041560168734117888
Caleb Howe @CalebHowe
9 minutes ago

Caleb Howe Retweeted Raw Story

Wait, are we FOR being drunken frat bros or against it?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 06:00:08 am »
I think the Republican Collapse to confirm Kavanaugh has begun and gravity and inertia have taken over.

Predictable.

"We probably should just drop all the pretenses, tell McConnell that the jig is up
and let everyone know that we actually run the Republican Party"

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 06:08:51 am »
Both Flake and Corker are saying they want to hear from this woman.  Kavanaugh looked like a good pick, but in hindsight perhaps a woman would have been a wiser choice in the MeToo era.

So now she's saying: “I thought he might inadvertently kill me”.

https://apnews.com/e2c35c0fb46f4464bcda77441caf1f7b/Woman-accusing-Kavanaugh-of-sexual-misconduct-comes-forward

On the flip side it might provide an opportunity for Kavanaugh to clear his name. She may come across as a nut when asked detailed questions. There maybe other people she's falsely accused. Who knows...

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:18:51 am »
If the Republicans fall for this bucket of BS, it will be the biggest most successful "Borking" on the flimsiest innuendo ever! This will make the Democrats feel like they are invulnerable, above any stupid 'evidence' and above the law itself. This will prove that evidence and actual guilt are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is words and accusations, just like in the Salem witch trials. The accusation itself is proof of guilt.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 06:52:31 am »
If the Republicans fall for this bucket of BS, it will be the biggest most successful "Borking" on the flimsiest innuendo ever! This will make the Democrats feel like they are invulnerable, above any stupid 'evidence' and above the law itself. This will prove that evidence and actual guilt are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is words and accusations, just like in the Salem witch trials. The accusation itself is proof of guilt.

Or, as it was under Soviet Communism.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 10:41:56 am »
I do not like it that Grassley seems to think he should give this woman and her little partner-in-crime DiFi the time of day.  The charge is ancient; it cannot be proven and she is an obvious democrat plant.

This is all about Roe v Wade.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 10:46:09 am »

It would not have mattered.  The left was ready with a campaign against any potential nominee.  That was revealed the night he was announced and their ‘oppose xxx’ e-mail was exposed.  There’s probably a ready made collection of accusations against all the people on the known list of 20+ judges.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:47:14 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DB

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:13 am »
It is possible they have information that proves she isn't telling the truth. If that's the case they should have her before the committee and set the record straight. I know, it isn't very likely but it is possible.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 01:37:59 pm »
It is possible they have information that proves she isn't telling the truth. If that's the case they should have her before the committee and set the record straight. I know, it isn't very likely but it is possible.

It is impossible to prove a negative. What we have here is a clear example of the skillful use of satan's tool box. And the devil is a lot smarter that 2/3 of Republicans. Hell, half of them are on his team.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 01:41:40 pm »

It would not have mattered.  The left was ready with a campaign against any potential nominee.  That was revealed the night he was announced and their ‘oppose xxx’ e-mail was exposed.  There’s probably a ready made collection of accusations against all the people on the known list of 20+ judges.

Exactly..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Idiot

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 01:42:40 pm »
It is impossible to prove a negative. What we have here is a clear example of the skillful use of satan's tool box. And the devil is a lot smarter that 2/3 of Republicans. Hell, half of them are on his team.
:amen:

Offline Idiot

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 01:44:35 pm »
Kavanaugh would be a shoe in for President with credentials like this as a dem.

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 01:45:16 pm »
   I really don't see the problem with Kavanaugh, as long as he recuses himself from any case having to do with young women in bikinis drinking beer.

LOL, what a great way to start the day!

:amen:
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 01:45:45 pm »
On the flip side it might provide an opportunity for Kavanaugh to clear his name. She may come across as a nut when asked detailed questions. There maybe other people she's falsely accused. Who knows...

Right -- lots of unknowns (at least to us message-board schlubs) here.  It is entirely possible that Grassley already has spoken with Kavanaugh in detail about this, and is confident he will come out of this looking good.  Very helpful that the other accused guy is also saying this is nuts.  I've read elsewhere that she has admitted being unable to remember exactly when this happened, and has been inconsistent in some of the other details she reported.

If Kavanaugh and the other guy say "nothing like this ever happened -- either she's got the wrong guys or she's just making it all up", and it is simply her word against theirs, then I think he's confirmed, and the Dems look pretty bad.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:48:23 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bilo

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 01:49:26 pm »

Oh, but don't you know we are guilty until proven innocent! It's the seriousness of the charge not that it's from 35 years ago when they were in high school, or that there's no evidence, or history to lend any credence to this type of allegation. It's anita hill all over again.

Offline bilo

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 01:52:00 pm »
I think the Republican Collapse to confirm Kavanaugh has begun and gravity and inertia have taken over.

Predictable.

It sure does seem that any Pub Senator with an axe to grind with Trump is going to jump up and play the Rat game. It doesn't much matter that a decent man will get dragged through the mud.