Author Topic: Primary turnout soars in 2018 with Dems leading charge  (Read 383 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Primary turnout soars in 2018 with Dems leading charge
« on: September 16, 2018, 12:46:43 am »
Primary turnout soars in 2018 with Dems leading charge
By Reid Wilson - 09/15/18 06:31 PM EDT

More than 40 million Americans voted in primaries this year, a staggering increase from four years ago and a sign of virtually unprecedented voter enthusiasm ahead of the midterm elections.

Primary voter turnout was higher than in 2014 for both Democrats and Republicans in most states across the country — though Democrats have a decided advantage.

Through Thursday’s vote in New York, more than 22.7 million Democrats had cast ballots in party primaries, compared with just 13.8 million in 2014.

Among Republicans, 19.3 million showed up to vote, an increase from the 15.5 million who voted in GOP primaries four years ago.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/406779-primary-turnout-soars-in-2018-with-dems-leading-charge
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Primary turnout soars in 2018 with Dems leading charge
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:50:23 am »
It seems to me that a high primary voter turnout is just as likely as not to indicate a divided party, not an overall enthusiasm for the midterm.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Primary turnout soars in 2018 with Dems leading charge
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:52:24 pm »
It seems to me that a high primary voter turnout is just as likely as not to indicate a divided party, not an overall enthusiasm for the midterm.

From my experience I tend to agree. It's a little deceptive because while turnout may be high, you're still dealing in the 20-30 percentile of the total base.

And even if you are turning out high percentile, it says nothing of the size of the base, which might be a third to half of the total registered GOP in that district.

In that case you're just maxing out with nowhere to go from there.
The Republic is lost.