Author Topic: Trump says Puerto Rico death toll inflated by Democrats: '3000 people did not die'  (Read 6614 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump says Puerto Rico death toll inflated by Democrats: '3000 people did not die'
By Brett Samuels - 09/13/18 08:44 AM EDT

President Trump on Thursday appeared to cast doubt on studies that found roughly 3,000 people died in Puerto Rico as a result of Hurricane Maria.

"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths," Trump tweeted.

"As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000," he added.

".....This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico," Trump said in a subsequent tweet. "If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!"

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/406446-trump-questions-death-toll-of-hurricane-in-puerto-rico
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
San Juan mayor blasts Trump for questioning Puerto Rican deaths: ‘This is what denial following neglect looks like’
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/406455-san-juan-mayor-blasts-trump-for-questioning-puerto-rican-deaths-this
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mountaineer

I don't know why he felt compelled to comment ( *****rollingeyes*****) but I doubt there were 3,000 dead. The PR authorities seem to be pulling death toll numbers out of their orifices.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

I don't know why he felt compelled to comment ( *****rollingeyes*****) but I doubt there were 3,000 dead. The PR authorities seem to be pulling death toll numbers out of their orifices.

The reported deaths include those that die in the following months that could reasonably be attributed to the widespread damage.  Lack of medical care and such.

ASCERTAINMENT OF THE
ESTIMATED EXCESS MORTALITY FROM
HURRICANE MARÍA IN PUERTO RICO
https://prstudy.publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/prstudy.publichealth.gwu.edu/files/reports/Acertainment%20of%20the%20Estimated%20Excess%20Mortality%20from%20Hurricane%20Maria%20in%20Puerto%20Rico.pdf
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:31:56 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
What an idiot.  Does be need a list of names or pictures? Maybe make it a coloring book and he will understand.

Offline Frank Cannon

What an idiot.  Does be need a list of names or pictures? Maybe make it a coloring book and he will understand.

Considering how much the PR's lied about what was happening down there, I would like the list of names. I don't believe a damn thing that comes out of there...

Online mountaineer

I certainly believe more than 6-18 died, but how can we accept what the utterly corrupt PR officials say - any more than DJT's tweet? The people in PR also say the feds did absolutely nothing to help - while millions of bottles of water sit at the airport, undistributed.

The real number is somewhere between 18 and 3,000, of that I'm reasonably certain!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:48:33 pm by mountaineer »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

It is a 3rd world shit hole.  You would think they would have the decency to stack the rotting corpses in the hot sun for a photo op. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
They can name everyone dead or missing. My guess is that lots of them left and never came back.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline skeeter

It is a 3rd world shit hole.  You would think they would have the decency to stack the rotting corpses in the hot sun for a photo op.
As soon as they figure a way to talk the corpses into returning from Brooklyn they will.

Offline thackney

They can name everyone dead or missing. My guess is that lots of them left and never came back.

The number does not include people who left.  The report used death certificates.  See my post above.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I don't think anyone knows exactly how many died for sure.
Support the USO

Offline ABX

Offline thackney

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Offline ABX

Thanks, I guess everyone just ignores my post #3 in this thread.

Who are you again? :)

Offline ABX

What eff is that bullshit.

Go ahead and post your analysis that shows a countering point.

Offline Frank Cannon

Detailed styludy by George Washington University - 2975 deaths attributed to Maria.

https://publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/default/files/downloads/projects/PRstudy/Acertainment%20of%20the%20Estimated%20Excess%20Mortality%20from%20Hurricane%20Maria%20in%20Puerto%20Rico.pdf

That is the biggest load of unintelligible bullshit I have ever seen. It's 69 pages of redundant language and total guesswork.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Detailed styludy by George Washington University - 2975 deaths attributed to Maria.

https://publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/default/files/downloads/projects/PRstudy/Acertainment%20of%20the%20Estimated%20Excess%20Mortality%20from%20Hurricane%20Maria%20in%20Puerto%20Rico.pdf
Texas and Florida both had similar hurricanes and nowhere near that kind of carnage. Either Puerto Rico's local officials botched this or a lot of people are lying.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Wingnut

Go ahead and post your analysis that shows a countering point.

Right.  I don't need a bullshit study to counter your bullshit study to call it bullshit.

You suck at the internet.

Offline skeeter

That is the biggest load of unintelligible bullshit I have ever seen. It's 69 pages of redundant language and total guesswork.

Most people consider a storm's death toll the number of dead people they find when the sun comes out.

These academics took statistical anomalies over a 6 month post-storm window to determine who might reasonably have died, from any cause, as a consequence of the physical & societal disruption caused by the storm.

Bottom line, IMO, is the US reacted to the Puerto Rico storm as well as anyone could have expected and is not responsible for the PR's governmental incompetance.

And its total Bullsh*t the media is using PR's situation to try to set Trump up should anything really bad happen in the Carolinas in the next few days. Friggen ghouls.

Offline thackney

Texas and Florida both had similar hurricanes and nowhere near that kind of carnage. Either Puerto Rico's local officials botched this or a lot of people are lying.

Because Texas and Florida quickly recovered.  And our infrastructure was more than bailing wire and string to begin with.  Nearly all of Puerto Rico's problems are of their own making, but that doesn't bring the dead back to life.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
President Trump unwittingly alerts the entire country to the Hurricane Maria death toll estimate he disputes
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/president-trump-unwittingly-alerts-the-entire-country-to-the-hurricane-maria-death-toll-estimate-he-disputes
Support the USO

Online mountaineer

... After saying for months that only 64 people died in the storm, the Puerto Rican government upped the death toll to 2,975 after a university study made the estimation.

“But the higher figure, based on the findings of researchers from George Washington University in a study commissioned by the US commonwealth’s government, is only an approximation, not a concrete list of names, according to Gov. Ricardo Rossello,” the report said.  ...
More from what admittedly is not an unbiased source, but if they're accurately quoting the report summation, that is significant.

Offline Frank Cannon

Either Puerto Rico's local officials botched this or a lot of people are lying.

I'm going with both.