Author Topic: Forget Beto. Ted Cruz gets the job done [Opinion]  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Forget Beto. Ted Cruz gets the job done [Opinion]
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:31:55 am »
Houston Chronicle By Benjamin First 9/13/2018

My senator, Ted Cruz, faces an enormous amount of unwarranted hate. He gets trashed for a Trump tweet by people who hate Donald Trump. He gets trashed for reading “Green Eggs and Ham” by people who love Dr. Seuss. People often say he’s unlikeable, but they never back it up with a reason why. Cruz was not elected to the U.S. Senate to go on daytime talk shows and parrot trendy liberal talking points. He was not elected because he played in a rock band, skateboards at Whataburger or crashed his car while driving drunk and attempted to flee from the scene. He was elected to go to Washington, D.C., and fight for our constitutional rights, lower taxes and a smaller, less intrusive federal government. Cruz was elected to fight for the people of Texas. Since elected, he has done exactly that.

If his opponent, U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke, is good at one thing, it’s appealing to liberal celebrities.

O’Rourke has received praise from celebrities like Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr for his controversial stance on the national anthem protests. He believes there is “nothing more American” than kneeling for the anthem. While I strongly believe in this country’s uniquely American right to peaceful protest, I also watched the people of this great city band together during one of the country’s most historic natural disasters — Hurricane Harvey. I saw America personified when I watched this city come together and help out anyone and everyone who needed it, regardless of their status in the identity politics hierarchy. To me, that is far more American than the divisive actions of one entitled millionaire. We saw real American heroes in the streets. We witnessed J.J. Watt fund-raise and get donations from more than 200,000 people, ultimately collecting and distributing roughly $40 million in relief. We saw the city rally around the Astros, and then we saw the Astros honor first responders on the field. To me, that is as American as it gets. However, while Cruz was traveling the state with U.S. Sen. John Cornyn and Gov. Greg Abbott fighting for our recovery, O’Rourke was in Congress playing politics and voting against tax relief for his fellow Texans.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Forget-Beto-Ted-Cruz-gets-the-job-done-Opinion-13225430.php

Offline thackney

Re: Forget Beto. Ted Cruz gets the job done [Opinion]
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:47:11 am »
H...He was elected to go to Washington, D.C., and fight for our constitutional rights, lower taxes and a smaller, less intrusive federal government. Cruz was elected to fight for the people of Texas....

The reasons I have and will continue to vote for Ted Cruz.

Highlights of Cruz’s Accomplishments
https://www.tedcruz.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/20180830Flyer.pdf
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:48:33 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 12:35:20 pm »
The reasons I have and will continue to vote for Ted Cruz.

Highlights of Cruz’s Accomplishments
https://www.tedcruz.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/20180830Flyer.pdf

Can you explain to me how spending money on NASA and hurricane relief is noteworthy? Almost all the Rats did the same thing.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:47:37 pm »
Can you explain to me how spending money on NASA and hurricane relief is noteworthy? Almost all the Rats did the same thing.

We will have to disagree on NASA.  Even as a hurricane recipient of a tiny piece of FEMA from Harvey, I can agree the Federal Taxpayers should not be the source of those funds.  But to the general public in Texas, a year after Harvey, it is an issue with too many voters.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 12:56:47 pm »
We will have to disagree on NASA.  Even as a hurricane recipient of a tiny piece of FEMA from Harvey, I can agree the Federal Taxpayers should not be the source of those funds.  But to the general public in Texas, a year after Harvey, it is an issue with too many voters.

Well I look at that thin resume after 6 years on the job and half of it is spending votes and the other half are votes that effected nothing. "Allowing" states to drug test folks on Ump is about as important as what sandwich I eat for lunch today in the broad scope of things.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:09:08 pm »
Authored and passed law expanding 529 savings accounts to include
K-12 education.

Led effort to pass law that repealed Obamacare individual mandate.

These 2 things alone warrant returning him to the Senate, but there are more.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 05:09:23 am »
My senator, Ted Cruz, faces an enormous amount of unwarranted hate. He gets trashed for a Trump tweet by people who hate Donald Trump. He gets trashed for reading “Green Eggs and Ham” by people who love Dr. Seuss. People often say he’s unlikeable, but they never back it up with a reason why. Cruz was not elected to the U.S. Senate to go on daytime talk shows and parrot trendy liberal talking points. He was not elected because he played in a rock band, skateboards at Whataburger or crashed his car while driving drunk and attempted to flee from the scene. He was elected to go to Washington, D.C., and fight for our constitutional rights, lower taxes and a smaller, less intrusive federal government. Cruz was elected to fight for the people of Texas. Since elected, he has done exactly that.

If his opponent, U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke, is good at one thing, it’s appealing to liberal celebrities....

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Forget-Beto-Ted-Cruz-gets-the-job-done-Opinion-13225430.php

Good editorial.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:57:13 am »
I hope Cruz has an honest intellectual curiosity to learn how Trump uses his effective persuasion skills.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 06:21:35 am »
I hope Cruz has an honest intellectual curiosity to learn how Trump uses his effective persuasion skills.

You mean "the art of the deal". Where you say whatever it takes to close the deal? And then when you don't deliver you blame it on others and down sell what you sold them?

"Honest intellectual curiosity" in the same sentence of how Trump does things is a direct contradiction of itself.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 01:26:54 pm »
Search is your friend.

This was posted on 9/13

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,331996.0.html

Offline Mod5

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 01:57:30 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 02:01:51 pm »
Voting to re-elect a guy who does in office exactly what he said he would do while campaigning???  Why I never heard the like!  /s
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien