Author Topic: Senate rankings: 10 seats most likely to flip  (Read 1039 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate rankings: 10 seats most likely to flip
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:30:11 pm »
Senate rankings: 10 seats most likely to flip
By Max Greenwood and Lisa Hagen - 09/11/18 03:38 PM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) acknowledged Tuesday that Republicans will be facing a “storm” in the November midterms, describing the races as "a knife fight in an alley," while adding he was still hoping that Republicans would retain their majority "when the smoke clears."

Republicans still have the upper hand, as Democrats must defend 10 seats carried by President Trump in 2016, but Democrats believe they have a narrow path to take the Senate.

Here are the top 10 seats most likely to flip:

1. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.)

The freshman senator is one of five Democrats up for reelection in a state that Trump won by double-digits, with North Dakota giving the president a 36 point margin over Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Rep. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.), the state’s lone House member since 2013, has been a loyal ally of Trump, who persuaded him to run after he initially declined. The last public poll from June had Cramer up 4 points, and Republicans say private polls show him ahead.

But Democrats contend that GOP polling was off in Heitkamp’s 2012 race, which showed her down consistently. She ultimately won by less than a point.

The escalating trade war has become a central issue in the race. And like many Democrats, Heitkamp is hoping her opposition to an anti-ObamaCare lawsuit will be a successful wedge issue.

Meanwhile, Cramer is hitting Heitkamp for opposing the tax cuts passed by Congress last year, Trump’s most significant legislative achievement to date.

But Heitkamp has a strong personal brand, and she believes she can win over enough moderate voters. Ultimately, political observers say the race could hinge on Trump, and whether voters prefer a consistent Trump ally or a senator with an independent streak.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/406121-senate-rankings-10-seats-most-likely-to-flip
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Senate rankings: 10 seats most likely to flip
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:39:33 pm »
Aren't these the same Commie Pinko jackasses who were positive that Hitlary would win? Oh yes it is. Guess that means we should take their next pile of shit guesses at the next election and post if effing everywhere like it GD matters.

First off Mitch the Turtle made the exact same stupid knife fight quote in '16 about the GOP's chances. Look how that turned out. I will also note that The Commie Hill also only quotes what the Rats say about the outcome of the race. Not a word about what the GOP said. Seems a lot effing one sided for something considered MIDDLE OF THE ROAD/STRAIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE NEWS.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:47:48 pm »
Heitkamp's vote to retain late term abortion is being brought up, too. Her race really showed the East/West schism in North Dakota, with the East side acting more like Minnesota, and the West being more conservative. Fundamental differences in the populations of the regions include the most populous cities in the East, fueled by University and Air Base funds, with farming and dependency on Federal Flood Aid for the annual Red River Floods, versus the oil producing, farming and ranching west with coal mines and electrical power generation. The latter is less reliant on the Feds for money, the East more so, and it shows. Farming is present in the East as well.

Anyway, the electoral map by county in the Senate Race has historically exposed the fundamental philosophical divide, with Indian Reservations typically voting Democrat as well. Population demographics have shifted in the Western part of the state, with greater representation of minorities which were formerly only a very small component of the population, so the effect on the overall popular vote may be felt as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 08:49:26 pm »
Aren't these the same Commie Pinko jackasses who were positive that Hitlary would win? Oh yes it is. Guess that means we should take their next pile of shit guesses at the next election and post if effing everywhere like it GD matters.

First off Mitch the Turtle made the exact same stupid knife fight quote in '16 about the GOP's chances. Look how that turned out. I will also note that The Commie Hill also only quotes what the Rats say about the outcome of the race. Not a word about what the GOP said. Seems a lot effing one sided for something considered MIDDLE OF THE ROAD/STRAIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE NEWS.
It is the old Bolshevik tactic of proclaiming an overwhelming majority when none exists. Still, the election was close last time with Heitkamp capitalizing on her reputation in State Government and name recognition.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:57:58 pm »
I'm not optimistic about Patrick Morrisey defeating Joe Manchin. Joe's votes are 180 degrees from the vast majority of West Virginians, but few of them bother to find that out. They just know he's good ol' Joe.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 09:51:13 pm »
   I didn't RTFA, is Ted Cruz on it?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bilo

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 12:03:17 am »
I'm missing something.

The economy is doing well and the manufacturing jobs everyone said were gone for good are coming back! North Korea isn't firing missiles and isn't saying they want to destroy us, instead there is a chance for real peace. Iran is in serious economic trouble.  China is being confronted for all their under handed behavior. Europe is being told they have to pay their share for NATO. Israel is our ally again and the PLO is finally being confronted for being the obstacle to peace. Our military is being rebuilt. Judges who actually believe they should follow the constitution are being confirmed. Our President is not letting up on the immigration problems we have and has a pretty detailed plan to solve them.

So why exactly are so many people eager to stop all this progress and go back to the quagmire we were in under obama?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 12:05:41 am »

So why exactly are so many people eager to stop all this progress and go back to the quagmire we were in under obama?

Not many people are. Many Millennial Leftist writers like the ones pumping this article are though. 

Offline bilo

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 12:34:01 am »
Not many people are. Many Millennial Leftist writers like the ones pumping this article are though.

You've got to be right. It makes no sense to return to the obama quagmire.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 12:38:42 am »
I'd be surprised if Tester loses..if the election was today then Rosendahl would have a good shot, but in November with the college students back in the big, for here, university towns I think they will go with him overwhelmingly.

Another factor IMO will be the Veteran vote. There are and more and more of us having to get care in other states because Fort Harrison cant attract or keep any Doc's. Tester got funding for a long needed vets home up here and the current administration has done nothing (just like the previous administration) for Vets.

If I vote, which is doubtful, I'll vote in my self interest, and vote for the only guy I see that has actually done anything for the Vets up here... :shrug:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 01:04:10 am »
1. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.)
2. Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.)
3. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.)
4. Sen. Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.)
5. Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.)
6. Arizona’s open seat
7. Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.)
8. Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.)
9. Tennessee’s open seat
10. Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 02:26:26 am »

Piling it high without reading the article again @Frank Cannon ?
The only quote in the article besides McConnell is Republican Dean Heller.

! No longer available

You are loved.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 02:31:47 am »
Piling it high without reading the article again @Frank Cannon ?
The only quote in the article besides McConnell is Republican Dean Heller.

Quoting from his effing campaign ad isn't exactly a real quote, is it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:29:17 pm by Mod5 »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 02:36:03 am »
Quoting from his effing campaign ad isn't exactly a real quote, is it Rino hack?

Remember, insulting other members can get win you a time-out.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:27:38 pm by Mod5 »