Author Topic: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos under fire for saying schools can report undocumented students  (Read 395 times)

rangerrebew

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos under fire for saying schools can report undocumented students

By Kendall Karson

May 24, 2018, 2:42 PM ET

Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos set off a furor over comments she made to members of Congress suggesting that schools should decide whether or not to report undocumented students and their families to federal immigration authorities.

The head of the Education Department shifted the responsibility of reporting undocumented students to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials to principals and teachers when she said on Tuesday, "it's a local community decision."

"I think that is — that is a school decision," DeVos said during her testimony before the House Education and Workforce Committee after Rep. Adriano Espaillat, D-N.Y., pressed her on the issue of undocumented students. "It's a local community decision and again I refer to the fact that we have laws and we also are compassionate and I urge this body to do its job and address and clarify where there is confusion around this."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/education-secretary-betsy-devos-fire-schools-report-undocumented/story?id=55407265

Offline skeeter

"Under fire" from whom? Certainly not from most American citizens.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"Under fire" from whom? Certainly not from most American citizens.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:

This headline is just one more example of the myriad ways journalists lie to us.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
This headline is just one more example of the myriad ways journalists lie to us.

Every day in every way possible!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien