Author Topic: Sasse won't rule out 2020 presidential run  (Read 2365 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Sasse won't rule out 2020 presidential run
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 04:40:39 pm »
I disagree.  Sasse has good principles but he is selfish and self-centered.

Could you please provide an example of his selfish or self-centered behavior?

I fell for him also during the hearings, but looking back I recognize his little speech as being all about him.

How so?  How do you reconcile espousing the Conservative viewpoint on limited government as "being all about him"?

He might make a good prince but his kind of ethics are not workable in a democracy.

Ethics?  This ought to be good.  Please tell.  Let's hear about the ethical lapse of Ben Sasse.  Give us the details.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Ted Cruz is equally conservative and at least as knowledgeable and yet, even though Ted was personally abused by Trump, he is able to rise above it and do what is best for the country.

Again, anyone with a functioning brain would draw the same conclusion based on Sasse's words.  But then there are those unfortunates who are incapable of thinking critically.  Instead, they shape their argument based upon their current emotional state with zero regard to the veracity of their offered statements.

We could never count on Ben Sasse to do that as he proves daily.  He is nothing but a liability now.

A liability?  The man can be counted on to vote the Conservative position 100% of the time.  Yet you consider that a liability?  Unbelievable.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 05:03:16 pm »
Could you please provide an example of his selfish or self-centered behavior?

How so?  How do you reconcile espousing the Conservative viewpoint on limited government as "being all about him"?

Ethics?  This ought to be good.  Please tell.  Let's hear about the ethical lapse of Ben Sasse.  Give us the details.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Again, anyone with a functioning brain would draw the same conclusion based on Sasse's words.  But then there are those unfortunates who are incapable of thinking critically.  Instead, they shape their argument based upon their current emotional state with zero regard to the veracity of their offered statements.

A liability?  The man can be counted on to vote the Conservative position 100% of the time.  Yet you consider that a liability?  Unbelievable.

I'm only going to discuss this with you once because I already know that you will argue until the cows come home and if they never come home you will still argue.

Ben Sasse is a selfish guy.  His talk during the hearings, while impressive, was mainly about Ben and his vision for America.  It is a good vision but we play in the real world.  Ben's best gig was as a professor at UT.  Professors usually develop a sense of their own importance and rightness and he is no exception.

It is one thing for Ben to have been against Trump's nomination.  It's quite another to clutch that grudge to his breast and fight against the Trump presidency.  I often cite Ted Cruz in this regard.  Ted has far more reason to carry a grudge against Trump than Baby Ben has and yet, he put his personal feelings aside to support Trump and has done so admirably.

The incredible whine-ness of waking up every morning depressed because you have to go be a Senator under a President you don't like should give anyone a reason to be concerned.

We have a number of Senators who can be counted on to vote conservative but who do not make it all about themselves.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 05:04:32 pm »
I'd love to see someone like Sasse take on Trump for the GOP nomination, or even run third party if that fails.   Conservatives have made a devil's bargain with Trump.   Until the books are closed on the 2018 election,  folks will continue to have their heads in the sand.   But Trump and the Dems are united in demanding that this fall's election, in the wake of unprecedented prosperity and good news,  be instead a referendum on the style and personality of a jackass.   Dollars to donuts if the Dems sweep to victory this fall,  you'll see Trump change his tune and start agreeing with Dems on far more than the primacy of his ego.   

Agreed.  Making the November elections a referendum on the Presidency is bad strategy by Trump.  If the rats take the House in November I think it is very likely President Trump will also be challenged for the Presidency in 2020 from the right.

Republicans usually do well in midterms because they have higher turnout.  It will be interesting to see the if Trump voters who voted for Obama in 2012, and the Trump voters who didn't vote before Trump because they didn't feel either party represented them, will remain loyal to the GOP.  Polling indicates fewer respondents self identify as Republican.  I am pretty certain most ex-republicans turned off by Trump who didn't vote in 2016 have not been dazzled by Trump's or the GOP's performance over the last 2 years.  Will new Trump voters cover the losses?

On the other hand every midterm election is said to be a referendum on the President.  More often than not, it isn't. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »
Sasse will just be a fringe candidate at this point.

Let's see what he really does? "I'm thinking about it, you better watch out", it will be futile and instead of praising him, I'll say again, what will you really get done Ben?

Probably zilch, nada, nothing, a big zero, just like what the Senate Republicans at this stage are getting done.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 05:10:02 pm »
Rubo was personally abused by Ted Cruz, if we are slopping the pigs as Emjay is, then, let's get a balance here, that happened with the Bible remarks and the Cruz campaign continuously did these kinds of things.

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 05:10:44 pm »
Ben Sasse is a selfish guy.  His talk during the hearings, while impressive, was mainly about Ben and his vision for America.

Hog wash.  He talked about Kavanaugh and America.  You're thinking about Trump who is the center of his everything.
! No longer available

Offline skeeter

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 05:15:21 pm »

Let's see what he really does? "I'm thinking about it, you better watch out", it will be futile and instead of praising him, I'll say again, what will you really get done Ben?

Probably zilch, nada, nothing, a big zero, just like what the Senate Republicans at this stage are getting done.

Sasse may try to primary Trump as the 'I'm not him' candidate. Unless he decides to go full Bernie there's virtually nothing else he can run on.

Sure that'll appeal to some who are vexed by Trump's style - types who like to read Bill Kristol or George Will. But if Trump can avoid getting personal this time - a big IF - he should have no problem swatting away any primary threat.

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 05:22:49 pm »

Some people become legislators because they want to enact legislation.  If the Congress continues to abdicate it's power to the Executive branch then the Executive branch is the only game worth playing.  Looking at it right now it seems like a long shot to challenge Trump, perhaps inconceivable, but it was inconceivable that Trump would win the primaries and eventually the Presidency 2 years ago.   

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 05:35:08 pm »
Sasse may try to primary Trump as the 'I'm not him' candidate. Unless he decides to go full Bernie there's virtually nothing else he can run on.

Sure that'll appeal to some who are vexed by Trump's style - types who like to read Bill Kristol or George Will. But if Trump can avoid getting personal this time - a big IF - he should have no problem swatting away any primary threat.

Speaking of Kristol and Will, I saw Brit Hume this morning discussing Woodward's book and he was very good, more like the old Brit.  He pointed out that Woodward did not cite anyone or have any footnotes.  Woodward talked to a lot of people and then put his own spin on it.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 05:36:42 pm »
I'm only going to discuss this with you once because I already know that you will argue until the cows come home and if they never come home you will still argue.

I can assure you this is not the case.  I am going into this with an open mind.  You have levied charges against Sasse.  I am merely trying to determine whether those charges have merit, or if they are simply a meritless invention of emotional outlet.  Previous encounters with you have shown the latter to be the case.  But to be fair, I did not want to dismiss you outright, but instead afford you a fair opportunity to make your case.

Ben Sasse is a selfish guy.

Yes, you said that already.  But when applying reason and critical thought, simply repeating your premise is not considered to be valid supporting evidence for that premise.  As far as logical fallacies go, it is called "begging the question".

His talk during the hearings, while impressive, was mainly about Ben and his vision for America.

His talk during the hearings were not at all about Ben.  To repeat, anyone with a function brain would draw that conclusion.  Yet you offer as evidence for your claim something that is patently false.  Why is that?   Is it because you make up your mind in advance what side you wish to take based on emotion, and then invent facts to support that position?  Because the 'fact' you offer here is a lie.

It's quite another to clutch that grudge to his breast and fight against the Trump presidency.

Sasse has voted with Trump 86% of the time.  The remaining 14% was where Trump was taking the liberal position.  So an accurate portrayal would be to say that Sasse fights against liberalism.  And in my book, that is EXACTLY what I want from a legislator.  Obviously, you think otherwise.  You prefer that legislators support Trump no matter how far to the left he tries to drag them.  Which explains why our federal government is giving $500 million in taxpayer funding to America's largest abortion provider this year.  This is what separates you from me.  I applaud the Senator who stands against that, while you call him "selfish" and "a liability".

So again, can you please provide an example of his selfish or self-centered behavior?  How do you reconcile espousing the Conservative viewpoint on limited government as "being all about him"?  Can you provide details of any ethical lapses of Ben Sasse?  And finally, please explain how you consider a guaranteed vote the Conservative position 100% of the time to be a liability.  You failed to answer any of these questions.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 05:47:25 pm »
I fell for him also during the hearings, but looking back I recognize his little speech as being all about him.

@Emjay
Please explain how.
Thanks!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 05:53:44 pm »
Speaking of Kristol and Will, I saw Brit Hume this morning discussing Woodward's book and he was very good, more like the old Brit.  He pointed out that Woodward did not cite anyone or have any footnotes.  Woodward talked to a lot of people and then put his own spin on it.

It should be clear by now that there are journalists on both sides who regularly capitalize on the unquestioning enthusiasm of the fringes. Some of these opportunists, like Woodward, throw away all professional standards in the process. His books will sell well for a few days & he's probably already walked off with an advance.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 05:59:44 pm »
I can assure you this is not the case.  I am going into this with an open mind.  You have levied charges against Sasse.  I am merely trying to determine whether those charges have merit, or if they are simply a meritless invention of emotional outlet.  Previous encounters with you have shown the latter to be the case.  But to be fair, I did not want to dismiss you outright, but instead afford you a fair opportunity to make your case.

Yes, you said that already.  But when applying reason and critical thought, simply repeating your premise is not considered to be valid supporting evidence for that premise.  As far as logical fallacies go, it is called "begging the question".

His talk during the hearings were not at all about Ben.  To repeat, anyone with a function brain would draw that conclusion.  Yet you offer as evidence for your claim something that is patently false.  Why is that?   Is it because you make up your mind in advance what side you wish to take based on emotion, and then invent facts to support that position?  Because the 'fact' you offer here is a lie.

Sasse has voted with Trump 86% of the time.  The remaining 14% was where Trump was taking the liberal position.  So an accurate portrayal would be to say that Sasse fights against liberalism.  And in my book, that is EXACTLY what I want from a legislator.  Obviously, you think otherwise.  You prefer that legislators support Trump no matter how far to the left he tries to drag them.  Which explains why our federal government is giving $500 million in taxpayer funding to America's largest abortion provider this year.  This is what separates you from me.  I applaud the Senator who stands against that, while you call him "selfish" and "a liability".

So again, can you please provide an example of his selfish or self-centered behavior?  How do you reconcile espousing the Conservative viewpoint on limited government as "being all about him"?  Can you provide details of any ethical lapses of Ben Sasse?  And finally, please explain how you consider a guaranteed vote the Conservative position 100% of the time to be a liability.  You failed to answer any of these questions.

I am talking about his recent behavior.  He has been in the news constantly lately, and, yes, it is all about him.

He isn't sure he can stay in the party; he wakes up depressed because he has to go be a Senator when Trump is the President; he has hinted third party notions.

If you want to like him, then do so, but he is all about Ben.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 06:04:30 pm »
I am talking about his recent behavior.  He has been in the news constantly lately, and, yes, it is all about him.

Again, can you provide an example?  You had earlier cited his 'Kavanaugh' speech without listing anything specific he had said.  Yet upon reviewing the speech again, I did not find a single instance of Sasse talking about himself.  So yet again, can you produce any evidence at all to support your claim?

Offline Absalom

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 07:29:23 pm »
These urinary contests sure are relentless.
Be nice if they either informed or persuaded anyone.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 07:42:29 pm »
These urinary contests sure are relentless.
Be nice if they either informed or persuaded anyone.

I don't care who the f runs against Trump in the primaries.  They'll likely get my vote.  Trump ranked 16th out of 17 in my own GOP preferences  in 2016.  A hair better only than Kasich.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 08:35:18 pm »
I don't care who the f runs against Trump in the primaries.  They'll likely get my vote.  Trump ranked 16th out of 17 in my own GOP preferences  in 2016.  A hair better only than Kasich.

Well... Jeb's down there somewhere too...

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:03 pm »
Oh, cute.  Did he say what party he would be running in?

@Emjay
 888high58888
Principles matter. Words matter.