Author Topic: Top Gallup editor: Faulty polling led to inaccurate 2016 data models  (Read 529 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
9/10/2018

Frank Newport, editor-in-chief at the Gallup Poll, on Monday said that data analyst websites, not national polls, were the ones incorrect in their 2016 presidential election predictions.

“The national polling was actually one of the more accurate years where they correctly predicted the popular vote,” Newport said to Hill.TV's Joe Concha, referring to national polls.

“But one of the things that happened was an overreliance on these models where various individuals and various companies put together these scientific-sounding probabilistic models,” he continued.

“When you disassemble those models, all they were were looking at state polls,” he said.

He pointed at the smaller sample sizes in toss-up states making it difficult to get accurate polling.

more
http://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/405942-gallup-top-editor-faulty-polling-in-2016-led-to-inaccurate-data
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline cato potatoe

Re: Top Gallup editor: Faulty polling led to inaccurate 2016 data models
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:12 pm »
Yes, I found it strange the Nate Silvers of the world gave Hillary a 72% chance of winning.  Even worse, 85% chance forecasted by NY Times??  The state polling averages only gave her a 272-266 lead on election night.  Even that hinged upon razor thin victories in NH, PA, and MI.  Months of bluster and wishcasting lead to the false impression of a huge upset that persists even still.

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 11:18:27 pm »
Yes, I found it strange the Nate Silvers of the world gave Hillary a 72% chance of winning.  Even worse, 85% chance forecasted by NY Times??  The state polling averages only gave her a 272-266 lead on election night.  Even that hinged upon razor thin victories in NH, PA, and MI.  Months of bluster and wishcasting lead to the false impression of a huge upset that persists even still.

Maybe there really is a silent group of voters pollsters can't reach. I know most folks don't have landlines anymore and those that do usually screen their calls. It's got to be tough to get a broad sample.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 11:21:26 pm »
Maybe there really is a silent group of voters pollsters can't reach. I know most folks don't have landlines anymore and those that do usually screen their calls. It's got to be tough to get a broad sample.

And even tougher to get an accurate one. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 11:54:05 pm »
This from the outfit that gave up polling Presidential elections because they were that bad at it.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 12:00:04 am »
Dude sounds like he is doing a bit of CYA.   Polling today is an unscientific method.  But they try to foist it as science upon the rubes.  Vegas has better odds. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline bilo

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 12:00:53 am »
And even tougher to get an accurate one.

The left is so loud and nasty a lot of people just aren't speaking up which creates an impression that more people support the leftists then actually do. I'm sure this carries over to people that respond to polls.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 12:02:38 am »
Dude sounds like he is doing a bit of CYA.   Polling today is an unscientific method.  But they try to foist it as science upon the rubes.  Vegas has better odds.

Also, polling is now used to promote a particular view not to find out what people actually believe.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 12:07:52 am »
Also, polling is now used to promote a particular view not to find out what people actually believe.

That's not new.  But the fact that a lot of people have caught on to it is new.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 12:53:19 am »
Can I get a "Duh?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 02:43:35 am »
And they're doing the same thing this time.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 03:32:27 am »
I warn any pollster, against push polls. the first "push" sign, I stop, and tell them why.

When I do cooperate I might be honest, or I might not.

18-25 female minority HS dropout, very liberal democrat voter.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln