Author Topic: The Atlantic: Address Climate Change, or You Might End Up in a Cave Drinking Urine and Eating Radio  (Read 626 times)

rangerrebew

The Atlantic: Address Climate Change, or You Might End Up in a Cave Drinking Urine and Eating Radioactive Insects
Eric Worrall / 7 hours ago September 10, 2018   

William T. Vollmann

Guest essay by Eric Worrall

A sneak preview of the next level of climate activism.

NATHANIEL RICH
    OCTOBER 2018 ISSUE

Authors like to flatter themselves by imagining for their work an “ideal reader,” a cherubic presence endowed with bottomless generosity, the sympathy of a parent, and the wisdom of, well, the authors themselves. In Carbon Ideologies, William T. Vollmann imagines for himself the opposite: a murderously hostile reader who sneers at his arguments, ridicules his feeblemindedness, scorns his pathetic attempts at ingratiation. Vollmann can’t blame this reader, whom he addresses regularly throughout Carbon Ideologies, because she lives in the future, under radically different circumstances—inhabiting a “hotter, more dangerous and biologically diminished planet.” He envisions her turning the pages of his climate-change opus within the darkened recesses of an underground cave in which she has sought shelter from the unendurable heat; the plagues, droughts, and floods; the methane fireballs racing across boiling oceans. Because the soil is radioactive, she subsists on insects and recycled urine, and regards with implacable contempt her ancestors, who, as Vollmann tells her, “enjoyed the world we possessed, and deserved the world we left you.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/09/10/the-atlantic-address-climate-change-or-you-might-end-up-in-a-cave-drinking-urine-and-eating-radioactive-insects/?cn-reloaded=1

Offline dfwgator

Well it sure beats living in a van down by the river.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Well, la-dee-frickin-da!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
30 seconds of my life I'll never get back!  What a loon!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien