Author Topic: Turkey snatches 'Gulenist' teachers in Moldova Amberin Zaman September 6, 2018  (Read 549 times)

Offline Suppressed

Turkey snatches 'Gulenist' teachers in Moldova
Amberin Zaman September 6, 2018

Turkish and Moldovan intelligence services have reportedly detained at least six Turkish nationals employed at a private chain of high schools in Moldova today, part of Ankara’s controversial global campaign to seize and render individuals linked to exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen back to Turkey.

Details remain sketchy but Moldova’s secret service, the SIS, stated that its anti-terror arm had carried out an “operation” today in “several localities” to “prevent threats to national security,” reported Balkan Insight, an online media outlet.

The Turkish media also confirmed the detentions had taken place. Gunes, a pro-government propaganda sheet, gloated on Twitter of Turkey’s national spy agency, “MIT is back on the scene. Six members of FETO were bundled off like this.” Photographs of large, muscular men shoving people including a child into an unmarked white van accompanied the tweet. BOLDmedya, a YouTube account dedicated to government persecution of Gulenists, posted footage allegedly shot at the scene of a brown Volvo with darkened windows and men wearing black ski masks inside. It’s unclear where the detainees were taken.

[...]

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/09/turkish-teachers-detained-moldova-gulen.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Cleaning up those who oppose ErdoÄŸan, even outside the borders.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline skeeter

Erdogen's goons obviously do not feel constrained by rules and mores of host countries they happen to be in.

Offline Suppressed

Erdogen's goons obviously do not feel constrained by rules and mores of host countries they happen to be in.

Well, information in the article implies that Moldova was complicit. 

But you're right...his thugs were active in the US, and the Trump Administration decided to drop the charges... https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/erdogans-thugs-still-need-to-be-brought-to-justice/2018/04/01/19c47d5e-2ece-11e8-b0b0-f706877db618_story.html

“It’s a great honor and privilege — because he’s become a friend of mine — to introduce President Erdogan of Turkey. He’s running a very difficult part of the world. He’s involved very, very strongly and, frankly, he’s getting very high marks.”  --Donald Trump
+++++++++

Offline skeeter

Well, information in the article implies that Moldova was complicit. 

But you're right...his thugs were active in the US, and the Trump Administration decided to drop the charges... https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/erdogans-thugs-still-need-to-be-brought-to-justice/2018/04/01/19c47d5e-2ece-11e8-b0b0-f706877db618_story.html

One note Charlie.

Offline Suppressed

One note Charlie.

No. Donnie has several notes...this is just one.  Note how dissonant so many are, though.
+++++++++

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Getting away from the train of thought on this thread, I know in a few countries, they have handed over the "Gulenist".

Daily Sabah which is a main news organ in Turkey:
Romanian court rules to extradite Gülenist fugitives
DAILY SABAH
ISTANBUL
Published March 22, 2015

A court in Romania decided to approve the extradition of two fugitive police officers accused of spying on behalf of the controversial Gülen Movement. Lawyers for the two suspects immediately filed appeals against the decision

A Romanian court has handed down its ruling regarding two Gülen Movement-affiliated police officers, who have been at large since arrest warrants were issued against them on charges of political spying, during the second hearing of the case, which took place on Friday. The court ruled to extradite the suspects who fled abroad to avoid any charges they could face in Turkish courts after their alleged illegal activities were unveiled. There have been many charges targeting members of the Gülen Movement since their alleged attempt to oust the government became public with the purported operations they carried out on Dec. 17 and Dec. 25. They have been accused of trying to topple the elected government by exploiting their authority in key government institutions such as the judiciary, Presidency of Telecommunications and the police, which they had infiltrated concealing their loyalty to the movement.

Read more at: https://www.dailysabah.com/politics/2015/03/22/romanian-court-rules-to-extradite-gulenist-fugitives

If anyone wonders about Trump and the USA and Turkey, obviously, relations are extremely strained right now.

That said, I guess, there is some cooperation as in patrolling Manbij, Syria. I just saw an article on it.

Also, though, I like the Kurds and they have been great fighters against Turkey, Turkey still has their side of the story and they see some of the Kurds, PKK I believe, as a threat, as terrorists and maybe they have some right to think this.

Over the weekend, the Iranians were shelling some Kurd buildings, apparently, there have been a few sporadic attacks on the Iranian borders.

So, it's not totally as if Turkey should shoulder all of the blame though this with the Gulenists strikes me as very hollaw.