Author Topic: Cory Booker’s Commodus Moment  (Read 473 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cory Booker’s Commodus Moment
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:55:53 pm »
Cory Booker’s Commodus Moment
By Joe Long| September 7th, 2018

This is the closest I’ll get to an ‘I am Spartacus’ moment.” Thus spake U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-N.J.), who “violated (a) rule knowingly” in an attempt to obstruct the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh.

Or, if we want to be more realistic in understanding what he did, he turned his party’s futile gestures of obstructing the Kavanaugh nomination, to his own political benefit.

In the end, it hasn’t turned out well for him. But let’s take a moment, before the faux “rulebreaking” episode fades, to ponder his “Spartacus” reference.

Spartacus was a slave gladiator. His arena wasn’t an air-conditioned legislature; his shackles weren’t constitutional limitations on government power, or the ethics rules of the United States Senate. His training program did not include Stanford, either at the undergraduate or graduate level. For the amusement of the elites in his day and of the vulgar Roman mob, Spartacus frequently had to kill fellow slaves or accept death for himself. After leading a revolt of fellow slaves, he did choose death in a “last stand” against the vengeful legions.

Hollywood’s version of his story was an inspiring tale of a battle for freedom, and the “Spartacus moment” to which Booker believes he can appeal, presumably, refers to the famous scene in which fellow slaves try to preserve their leader by claiming, one after the other, to be Spartacus. Thus, a “Spartacus moment” would not be any old act of defiance, but specifically, taking the hit for someone else more important than yourself to the resistance, so as to preserve his anonymity. It is precisely the opposite of grandstanding for the sake of increasing one’s own name recognition.

Bit of a metaphor fail, there, Cory.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2018/09/07/cory-bookers-commodus-moment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Cory Booker’s Commodus Moment
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 10:47:01 pm »
Senator Spartacus, "Where's Your Biplane?"

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:47:49 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:47:00 am »
I am a cunning linguist and in all these years  I have never had a commodus moment.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:52:07 pm »
Senator Spartacus, "Where's Your Biplane?"

@To-Whose-Benefit?

I thought it was Barney Franks that had the Bi-Plane?

Or did his wife get it in the divorce?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!