Author Topic: Judge Willett Questions Qualified Immunity  (Read 757 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Judge Willett Questions Qualified Immunity
« on: September 05, 2018, 02:40:23 am »
Reason by Jonathan H. Adler Aug. 31, 2018

As part of an investigation of his practices, the Texas Medical Board executed an administrative subpoena on Dr. Joseph Zadeh's medical office, accompanied by two federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) officers. According to Dr. Zadeh, the Board agents exceeded the scope of their subpoena in executing their search of his offices, so he sued, seeking damages for alleged violaitons of his constitutional rights.

In reviewing De. Zadeh's claim, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit sympathized with Dr. Zadeh's claims, but nonetheless concluded the Board and its agents were entitled to qualified immunity because their conduct did not violate "clearly established" law. This is how qualified immunity doctrine works, but not all of the judges on the panel were too happy about it, Judge Don Willett in particular.

In an opinion "concurring dubitante," Judge Willett writes:

The court is right about Dr. Zadeh's rights: They were violated.

But owing to a legal deus ex machina—the "clearly established law" prong of qualified-immunity analysis—the violation eludes vindication. I write separately to register my disquiet over the kudzu-like creep of the modern immunity regime. Doctrinal reform is arduous, often-Sisyphean work. And the entrenched, judge-made doctrine of qualified immunity seems Kevlar-coated, making even tweak-level tinkering doubtful. But immunity ought not be immune from thoughtful reappraisal.

More: https://reason.com/volokh/2018/08/31/judge-willett-questions-qalified-immunit

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Judge Willett Questions Qualified Immunity
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 12:54:59 pm »
Willett's a good one.  He's the one that stood up to the Obama Justice Department on DACA if I remember correctly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 12:58:43 pm »
Willett's a good one.  He's the one that stood up to the Obama Justice Department on DACA if I remember correctly.

:amen:  He needs to be on the SC ASAP.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 02:10:32 pm »
:amen:  He needs to be on the SC ASAP.

I dunno.  I'm of the mind that we need to keep some of these justices at the lower levels if anything just to prevent a future Progressive President from filling the position with a liberal justice.

Think of it as protecting our flank.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 05:26:15 pm »
I miss him on Twitter.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 09:55:02 pm »
An administrative subpoena?

So bureaucrats can violate the rights guaranteed under the Fourth Amendment without review by a judge?

Seems unlawful to me.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington