Author Topic: Colorado city to vote on lowering voting age to 16  (Read 921 times)

Offline corbe

Colorado city to vote on lowering voting age to 16
« on: September 03, 2018, 06:02:38 pm »
Colorado city to vote on lowering voting age to 16

By Brett Samuels  - 09/03/18 01:36 PM EDT

The city of Golden, Colo., is set to vote in November on whether to lower the minimum voting age in local elections from 18 to 16, The Denver Post reported Monday.

The news outlet reported that the city of 21,000, located just outside Denver, would be the first Colorado community to approve such a measure. If passed, voters as young as 16 would be able to cast ballots in elections for local candidates and on local issues.

The Golden City Council put the measure on the November ballot late last month, The Post reported.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/404831-colorado-city-to-vote-on-lowering-voting-age-to-16
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Colorado city to vote on lowering voting age to 16
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:34:02 pm »
No worries.  Most of them  will be so stoned they won't be able to remember to vote much less find the polling place.  Well unless the polling site is at a marijauna dispensary.  Then all bets are off.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:34:33 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:55:20 pm »
At least it's Golden, not Boulder.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 09:58:52 pm »
Home of Coors beer and it really does look over Denver from when I visited.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 10:05:41 pm »
Why stop there? Lets lower the voting age to the first trimester.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 10:26:46 pm »
If this passes, perhaps it could become a good test of the 26th Amendment.

The Trump administration ought to take the City of Golden to court for violating the 26th Amendment, which sets the voting age at 18.

Then, "push it upwards" towards the Supreme Court.

The idea is to "nip this in the bud" before it spreads further.

And IT WILL "spread further".... unless we take steps to stop it from doing so.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 10:29:59 pm »

The Trump administration ought to take the City of Golden to court for violating the 26th Amendment, which sets the voting age at 18.

Then, "push it upwards" towards the Supreme Court.

The idea is to "nip this in the bud" before it spreads further.

And IT WILL "spread further".... unless we take steps to stop it from doing so.

I don't believe this violates the 26th as they can only vote on "Local Elections". It would depend on what voting age limitations are in the Colorado Constitution.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 10:37:05 pm »
Colorado law limits voting to adults 18 and older, but as a home rule city, Golden could lower that age threshold for municipal-only races and ballot issues. People would still need to be at least 18 to hold office in Golden. If the measure passes, the first election that minors would likely be able to vote in would be November 2019.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/09/03/golden-minimum-voting-age-16/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »

What an abortion that would be.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 10:47:29 pm »

Democrats would lower the voting age to 8 years old if they can, and no proof of anything is required. A vote is a vote, no matter if it is Putin himself voting. It's all the same. We are all 'citizens of the world'. Even Putin is a citizen, according to the Democrats.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 11:10:30 pm »
Elderberry wrote:
"I don't believe this violates the 26th as they can only vote on "Local Elections". It would depend on what voting age limitations are in the Colorado Constitution."

I believe it does.

I would challenge your assertion by saying that Golden's law, if enacted, violates my 14th Amendment rights of "equal protection of the laws", in that it dilutes my vote (which the Constitution ensures must not be granted to anyone UNDER 18, see Amendment #26) with the vote of a minor who is -- again -- not "Constitutionally qualified" to cast such vote.

(I believe this argument would have to be raised by a resident of Golden, over 18)

We MUST fight this with all available means.
If not, it will spread like wildfire.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 11:21:50 pm »
21 states permit 17-year-olds to vote in primary elections and caucuses. Does this violate your 14th Amendment rights as well?

Offline darroll

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 12:28:41 am »
Not allowing the brain dead to vote. Per Rush, let the skulls full of mush vote is a sure dem vote.

Just like Oregon nine million vote dem and 10 vote Rep. Every time California passes a nutty law, Oregon passes the same law. Ask Pick Sweet, Libbies, Del Monte, Flavor Pack, Birds Eye, etc. 

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 12:54:00 am »
Elderberry asked:
"21 states permit 17-year-olds to vote in primary elections and caucuses. Does this violate your 14th Amendment rights as well?"

My answer:
Yes, it does.

Rhetorical questions:
Do you believe that "under-18's" should have the right to vote?
In ANY election at all?
If no, why aren't we challenging this?

Fearless prediction:
The refusal of the right to challenge this will end up becoming another "slippery slope" downwards.

Think of the illegals who are getting away with voting in "city/local" elections.
Who is really going to prevent them from voting in ALL elections?
The left?
C'mon...

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 01:32:09 am »
Elderberry asked:
"21 states permit 17-year-olds to vote in primary elections and caucuses. Does this violate your 14th Amendment rights as well?"

Rhetorical questions:
Do you believe that "under-18's" should have the right to vote?
In ANY election at all?
If no, why aren't we challenging this?

I believe the legal age to vote should be the same as the legal age of majority, where one is recognized as achieving adulthood.  All states have a legal age of majority of 18, except Alabama and Nebraska that have a legal age of majority of 19. In those states you have 18 year olds, that are Not considered Adults, but have the right to vote.

It's currently not happening in my state. Isn't that the excuse that people usually use? It's not happening in my neck of the woods.

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 01:40:46 pm »
Elderberry wrote:
"I don't believe this violates the 26th as they can only vote on "Local Elections". It would depend on what voting age limitations are in the Colorado Constitution."

I believe it does.

I would challenge your assertion by saying that Golden's law, if enacted, violates my 14th Amendment rights of "equal protection of the laws", in that it dilutes my vote (which the Constitution ensures must not be granted to anyone UNDER 18, see Amendment #26) with the vote of a minor who is -- again -- not "Constitutionally qualified" to cast such vote.

(I believe this argument would have to be raised by a resident of Golden, over 18)

We MUST fight this with all available means.
If not, it will spread like wildfire.

Unless you live in Golden, CO, it does not impact you in any way.

If you live in Golden, CO, it passed in the local election.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 02:00:58 pm »

Not quite.  The text of the 26th Amendment says:

The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

In other words, the right to vote cannot be denied to someone who is 18.  That is not the same as saying that the right cannot be granted to those who are even younger.  Th Supreme Court might interpret it that way, but it might not. 

Personally, I wish it was a hard limit set at 18 minimum. But if I had to rule on it as written, I think it permits states to set the voting age even for Presidential elections lower than 18 if they so chose.

It's one reason I'm glad we have the Electoral College.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 08:04:02 pm »
It's one reason I'm glad we have the Electoral College.

True. The States that would do this already vote Democrat anyway. So there is no net gain to them.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.