Author Topic: The Senate’s Unremembered Ex-POW  (Read 723 times)

Offline mountaineer

The Senate’s Unremembered Ex-POW
« on: September 02, 2018, 01:54:39 pm »
Joseph P. Duggan
Sept. 2, 2018

Such a contrast to the excess of the last several days.

His path to distinguished service in the United States Senate led through the Naval Academy, aerial combat over hostile territory, and long years of confinement, beatings, and torture in the Hanoi Hilton.

He was a man worth remembering.

No, his name was not John McCain.

Six years before McCain’s election to the Senate, Alabama voters sent retired Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton to Washington’s upper chamber. 

Both the parallels and the divergences in Denton and McCain’s lives tell something about the last few decades of our political history.  ...

In this and other instances, Denton worked carefully and discreetly to bring about success for conservative policies through sincere bipartisan negotiation.

This contrasts with McCain’s vaunted reputation for what his apologists wrongly called bipartisanship. What McCain actually did, again and again, was to sabotage consensus within his own party out of an impulse for gaining attention and increasing his negotiating position in regard to other interests.

With no discernible principle or regard for the public interest on his side, McCain single-handedly sabotaged the repeal of Obamacare. No one can say honestly that his motivation was anything other than spite for President Trump.

McCain showed this character trait throughout his Senate career, even when the issues were more arcane — although extremely important to special interests — and were not gaining top-of-the-news publicity.   ...
Read the rest at the Spectator
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Senate’s Unremembered Ex-POW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 02:37:44 pm »
My last Ship's Captain I served under on the Lexington was Captain Eugene B. McDaniel.

He was taken as a Prisoner of War on May 19, 1967. After spending 2,117 days in captivity, CDR McDaniel was released during Operation Homecoming on March 4, 1973.

http://www.veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=1115

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 02:40:54 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 08:08:12 pm »

Joseph P. Duggan     |     September 2, 2018, 12:05 am

Such a contrast to the excess of the last several days.

His path to distinguished service in the United States Senate led through the Naval Academy, aerial combat over hostile territory, and long years of confinement, beatings, and torture in the Hanoi Hilton.

He was a man worth remembering.

No, his name was not John McCain.

Six years before McCain’s election to the Senate, Alabama voters sent retired Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton to Washington’s upper chamber.

Both the parallels and the divergences in Denton and McCain’s lives tell something about the last few decades of our political history.

~snip~

Denton suffered imprisonment for nearly eight years, McCain for nearly six. Both men gained national and international attention for defiant courage during their ordeals. As son of the admiral commanding the U.S. Pacific fleet, McCain spurned Communist Vietnamese efforts to manipulate him for propaganda purposes. Denton, as one of the top-ranking officers, outwitted the enemy when they featured him in a televised propaganda news conference. Unbeknownst to his captors, he blinked his eyes with the Morse Code letters T-O-R-T-U-R-E as he answered questions.

https://spectator.org/the-senates-unremembered-ex-pow/

Jeremiah Denton - a true war hero.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 08:34:27 pm »
The contrast between Denton and McCain is remarkable (especially in the area of character and integrity).

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 09:14:28 pm »
The contrast between Denton and McCain is remarkable (especially in the area of character and integrity).

It sure is. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 09:18:22 pm »
Was Denton carted through multiple states in a week long death extravaganza of RINO stupidity?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 09:38:14 pm »
Was Denton carted through multiple states in a week long death extravaganza of RINO stupidity?

I would even compare McCain to George McGovern, who was also a War Hero, and former failed Presidential Candidate. How much fanfare did he get?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 09:44:37 pm »
Admiral Denton is a genuine American hero. John Sidney McCain III is a media construct.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »
From the article:
... Another difference was in character. Senators normally have very big egos, and Denton was normal in this sense. McCain was an outlier — an extraordinary egomaniac — even within a universe of enormous egos.

Jeremiah Denton died in 2014 at the age of 89. He was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery. His funeral did not preempt television coverage of soap-operas, sitcoms, or sporting events. His pallbearers did not include Warren Beatty, but no one, obscure or famous, was told not to attend the ceremony.
:patriot:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »
Admiral Denton is a genuine American hero and John Sidney McCain III is a caricature created by the media.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 03:58:45 pm »
Related:
September 3, 2018
How much backlash will there be to the 8 days of McCainapalooza?
By Thomas Lifson

I don’t know about you, but when the video coverage of the death of Senator John McCain began a week ago Saturday, I reached satiation well before the live coverage concluded with his burial at the United States Naval Academy. Yes, he was a brave war hero that endured years of brutal captivity in North Vietnam, and all of us honor that. But as a politician, his main legislative legacy is a failed campaign finance act, one of those bipartisan feel-good efforts that backfired and made things worse.

So, how is it that his passing and a week’s worth of scheduled events merited wall-to-wall coverage? President Kennedy’s assassination required two days of live coverage for the death and funeral. ...

Or, compare the passing of Admiral James Stockdale to that of John McCain. Admiral Stockdale was a POW in Hanoi for over 7 years, a year-and-a-half longer than McCain. Like McCain, he was a very special prisoner in the eyes of the North Vietnamese, for he was the senior officer among the POWs. His prominent status was based on his achievements and consequent promotion, whereas McCain was regarded as important because of who his father and grandfather were. 

Like John McCain, Admiral Stockdale ran an unsuccessful campaign on a national presidential ticket – as Ross Perot’s running mate. Unlike McCain, Admiral Stockdale was a Medal of Honor recipient.

So, did you even know that Admiral Stockdale passed away in 2005?  Thankfully, his funeral was televised – by C-SPAN. But I do not recall any regular programming on Fox News or anywhere else being interrupted to honor Admiral Stockdale. Maybe I missed some, but there is no comparison with the coverage afforded McCain, whose military heroism was no greater, and probably less than that of Stockdale.    ...
American Thinker

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 04:01:30 pm »
Did they check his tomb yet to make sure it wasn't empty?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 04:06:30 pm »
Did they check his tomb yet to make sure it wasn't empty?
What, has it been three days already?!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 04:12:50 pm »

Oh Boy.   :0001:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 04:19:25 pm »

****drummer

{{{rimshot}}}
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 01:20:17 am »
I've tried to pay as little attention as possible to the McCain funeral proceedings. Actually no attention at all.

Is he finally gone?
Buried, with the sod o'er 'im?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 12:19:36 pm »

@mountaineer

Truthfully there was no comparison.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 02:11:22 pm »
@mountaineer

Truthfully there was no comparison.

@sneakypete

You can say that again!  One is a true American hero and the other is a media construct.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,330734.msg1785390.html#msg1785390
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:12:21 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien