Author Topic: The Village Voice has been shut down  (Read 719 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The Village Voice has been shut down
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:28:38 pm »

Vox
By Alissa Wilkinson
Aug 31, 2018

For 63 years, New York’s most venerated alt-weekly, the Village Voice, has been an institution — not just for the city but for several generations of writers and critics whose careers were launched or inspired by the groundbreaking writing on art and popular culture found in its pages.

Now it’s gone.

On the Friday before Labor Day, Village Voice staffers found out the paper was being shut down. According to Gothamist, the paper’s owner, Peter Barbey, told the staff in a phone call that “due to the business realities, we’re going to stop publishing Village Voice new material.” Some staff members are being retained to “wind things down” and migrate the Voice’s archive online. The rest have been let go.

(more)
https://www.vox.com/2018/8/31/17805964/village-voice-shut-down-closed
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

Re: The Village Voice has been shut down
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 01:31:21 pm »
Wow!!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 03:33:31 pm »
That fish wrapper died in April of 2017 when it stopped their print edition.  suprised it took this long for them to pull the plug on the life support
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 03:35:07 pm »
They won't be missed.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 03:51:52 pm »
That fish wrapper died in April of 2017 when it stopped their print edition.  suprised it took this long for them to pull the plug on the life support
Going online-only rarely ever works. Online-only publications tend to have to be established as online-only operations and build their brands accordingly. You can't just plop a newspaper brand on a Web site and expect success. If anything, it gives the impression of being a failed enterprise clinging to life.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 03:57:40 pm »

There is still nothing like holding a print newspaper in you hands and reading through it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 03:57:42 pm »
They won't be missed.

The sui generis Nat Hentoff was okay:

Political views, commentary, and activism

Hentoff espoused generally liberal views on domestic policy and civil liberties, but in the 1980s, he began articulating more socially conservative positions. He was opposed to abortion, voluntary euthanasia, and the selective medical treatment of severely disabled infants.[27] He believed that a consistent life ethic should be the viewpoint of a genuine civil libertarian, arguing that all human rights are at risk when the rights of one group of people are diminished, that human rights are interconnected, and that people deny others' human rights at their peril.[27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Hentoff

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 04:10:27 pm »
Going online-only rarely ever works. Online-only publications tend to have to be established as online-only operations and build their brands accordingly. You can't just plop a newspaper brand on a Web site and expect success. If anything, it gives the impression of being a failed enterprise clinging to life.

Whole heartedly agree with that statement.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 04:13:58 pm »
There is still nothing like holding a print newspaper in you hands and reading through it.

Agree.  But I wonder for how long.   Notice it is getting increasingly hard to find a paper now days.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:26:40 pm »
I feel sorry for people like my 86-year-old aunt.  No computer or other electronic device -- just a basic cell phone.  When our local paper completes its transition to online only, she and others will be lost. 

I still buy the print version, but only on Sunday and only for the coupons and the comics.  But lately, the comics are crappy(Doonesbury, for example) and most of the coupons are for things I don't want or use.  I won't miss the paper nearly as much as my aunt.