Author Topic: Couple who raised $400K for homeless Johnny Bobbitt have 24 hours to turn over the money  (Read 644 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What ever money is left Bobbitt will blow thu in a matter of weeks on drugs if he gets unfettered access to it. 

A judge on Thursday gave a South Jersey couple less than a day to hand over what's left of the $400,000 they raised through a GoFundMe campaign for Johnny Bobbitt Jr., the homeless man who last fall gave the woman his last $20 to help her out in a pinch.

Superior Court Judge Paula T. Dow in Mount Holly ordered Kate McClure, 28, and Mark D'Amico, 35, to transfer the money into an escrow account by Friday afternoon and hire a forensic accountant to review the financial records within 10 days.
http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/johnny-bobbitt-gofundme-court-hearing-kate-mcclure-mark-damico-judge-rules-20180830.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

Can't take sides on this one because, IMHO, they are all unpleasant and greedy. 

Hope this teaches anyone tempted to donate to a GoFundMe appeal.  Just don't do it.

Offline Slide Rule

Well I knew someone somewhere could find one.

An honest Judge.

Amen.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
What ever money is left Bobbitt will blow thu in a matter of weeks on drugs if he gets unfettered access to it. 

A judge on Thursday gave a South Jersey couple less than a day to hand over what's left of the $400,000 they raised through a GoFundMe campaign for Johnny Bobbitt Jr., the homeless man who last fall gave the woman his last $20 to help her out in a pinch.

Superior Court Judge Paula T. Dow in Mount Holly ordered Kate McClure, 28, and Mark D'Amico, 35, to transfer the money into an escrow account by Friday afternoon and hire a forensic accountant to review the financial records within 10 days.
http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/johnny-bobbitt-gofundme-court-hearing-kate-mcclure-mark-damico-judge-rules-20180830.html

You're right -- he probably will.  But that doesn't give those people the right to withhold the money that they accepted in trust for Bobbitt, even if they are truly trying to act in his interest.  They probably could have established the GoFundMe with those limitations if they were made express, but that's not what they did.

Judge made the right decision even if the result may be ugly.

Offline Applewood

You're right -- he probably will.  But that doesn't give those people the right to withhold the money that they accepted in trust for Bobbitt, even if they are truly trying to act in his interest. They probably could have established the GoFundMe with those limitations if they were made express, but that's not what they did.

Well, I heard somewhere that the boyfriend took part of the money and gambled it away.  He says he paid it back, but who knows?    Anyway, they might not have been looking out for his best interests.

I agree with the judge's decision too.  No one involed here is trustworthy.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
My sister set up a GoFundMe site for a friend. The friend had suffered a stroke. My sister write-up said "She is always doing for everyone else and not for herself. She cleaned houses for years and now we need to do something for her".
Translation: She was on The Disability and was cleaning houses for cash to avoid losing her The Disability. The GoFundMe site was to pay for her cigarettes and such.

The whole GoFundMe thing is mostly a racket.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You're right -- he probably will.  But that doesn't give those people the right to withhold the money that they accepted in trust for Bobbitt, even if they are truly trying to act in his interest.  They probably could have established the GoFundMe with those limitations if they were made express, but that's not what they did.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I wonder if it is possible to set up a You Fund account in the guys name,but limit his daily withdrawals to 25 bucks or so? If he wants more,he would need the people who set up the fund to approve it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Maj. Bill Martin

I wonder if it is possible to set up a You Fund account in the guys name,but limit his daily withdrawals to 25 bucks or so? If he wants more,he would need the people who set up the fund to approve it.

That might work.  I think the better way to do it would be to set up the fund in the name of the people who set it up, but it is stated up front who the money must go to, and how.  Or to set it up to purchase the guy an annuity that will pay out over time.