Author Topic: Trump to sign executive order to boost retirement savings  (Read 1142 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Trump to sign executive order to boost retirement savings
« on: August 31, 2018, 08:26:50 am »
I never understood the logic of the mandatory withdraws

By PATRICK TEMPLE-WEST

08/30/2018 09:29 PM EDT

President Donald Trump will sign an executive order on Friday aimed at boosting retirement savings, giving Americans more time to keep their money in tax-deferred accounts and allowing small businesses to band together to offer 401(k)s.

The order, to be issued by Trump during a visit to Charlotte, N.C., will call on the Treasury Department to review its rules for mandatory withdrawals from 401(k) plans and individual retirement accounts, administration officials told reporters on a Thursday evening call.

Generally, people must start withdrawing funds from these accounts when they turn 70-and-a-half. The Treasury rules have not been updated since 2002, said Daniel Kowalski, counselor to the Treasury secretary.

“The EO asks Treasury to consider whether they need to be updated,” he said.

By PATRICK TEMPLE-WEST

08/30/2018 09:29 PM EDT
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

President Donald Trump will sign an executive order on Friday aimed at boosting retirement savings, giving Americans more time to keep their money in tax-deferred accounts and allowing small businesses to band together to offer 401(k)s.

The order, to be issued by Trump during a visit to Charlotte, N.C., will call on the Treasury Department to review its rules for mandatory withdrawals from 401(k) plans and individual retirement accounts, administration officials told reporters on a Thursday evening call.

Generally, people must start withdrawing funds from these accounts when they turn 70-and-a-half. The Treasury rules have not been updated since 2002, said Daniel Kowalski, counselor to the Treasury secretary.

“The EO asks Treasury to consider whether they need to be updated,” he said.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

Re: Trump to sign executive order to boost retirement savings
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 02:40:10 pm »
I would be happy if there was no requirement to  withdraw at 70-1/2 or at any age.  Doesn't look like Trump is ordering a change -- just telling the Treasury to review the requirement to see if it needs to be updated. 

And how about not taxing withdrawls at all?  Haven't we paid enough in taxes just earning the money to put in our IRAs? Why is our money taxed more than once?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 03:31:06 pm »
I would be happy if there was no requirement to  withdraw at 70-1/2 or at any age.  Doesn't look like Trump is ordering a change -- just telling the Treasury to review the requirement to see if it needs to be updated. 

And how about not taxing withdrawls at all?  Haven't we paid enough in taxes just earning the money to put in our IRAs? Why is our money taxed more than once?

Except that is wrong. Instead the tax upon withdrawal would be the first time; the tax from the time of earning, having been deferred.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 04:41:27 pm »
Eliminating the mandatory withdrawals from tax-deferred accounts makes perfect sense.  It also creates a temporary hole in the government's budget.  And that's fine, but they need to figure out what spending to cut instead of hastening the debt crisis.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 04:49:14 pm »
There is also a minimum age requirement, for tax differed  401k's, correct?
Isn't that age 59-1/2, and there is a 10% penalty on top of the Capital gains hit?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 05:23:43 pm »
There is also a minimum age requirement, for tax differed  401k's, correct?
Isn't that age 59-1/2, and there is a 10% penalty on top of the Capital gains hit?
I think tax deferral on c0ontrributions is allowed until age 59.5

Separately I think a 10% tax penalty applies to early withdrawals.

Withdrawals are regular income, so capital gains is not an issue.

Check online,, or with a real tax expert.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 05:49:10 pm »

Except that is wrong. Instead the tax upon withdrawal would be the first time; the tax from the time of earning, having been deferred.

Ok.  But I was talking about when I worked like a dog to earn the money to invest.  That money was taxed. 

I guess I'm tired of DC, Harrisburg and every other government entity stealing the money I worked hard for -- to line their pockets and giving it away to their "poor" constituents for votes.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 07:02:12 pm »
59 1/2 is the age you can start to withdraw without paying the 10% penalty.l

70 1/2 is when you are forced to make a minimum yearly distribution.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 10:14:41 pm »
Now if we could only invest 12.5% of our income into 401(k)s and IRAs instead of having Social Security confiscate it at the point of a gun, we could all retire as millionaires.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 12:50:23 am »

I second that emotion!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 01:18:25 pm »

My contributions to my 401K are pre-tax, so no tax is paid until I withdraw any of it.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 01:25:25 pm »
Ok.  But I was talking about when I worked like a dog to earn the money to invest.  That money was taxed. 

I guess I'm tired of DC, Harrisburg and every other government entity stealing the money I worked hard for -- to line their pockets and giving it away to their "poor" constituents for votes.

If you invested in a post tax account (like a Roth IRA) then you won’t be taxed. If you had a pre tax account (like a 401k) then you never paid taxes on that money.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 01:54:40 pm »
If you invested in a post tax account (like a Roth IRA) then you won’t be taxed. If you had a pre tax account (like a 401k) then you never paid taxes on that money.

When you invest post tax or Roth into your 401K, when you withdraw, you are taxed on the earnings portion. Last year my 401K offered a feature where you could move "post tax" moneys into your Roth fund. I selected to move $40K. Of that 40K, only 16K of it was original investment and I had to pay taxes on the remainder last year.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 02:08:16 pm »

Correct.  Pre-tax contributions to 401k plans have never been taxed,  nor have employer matching contributions and the investment earnings on both, prior to distribution.   Meanwhile, employers can take an immediate deduction on these contributions.   This disconnect between the timing of the employer's deduction and the employee's income inclusion - typically decades -  represents the biggest single tax loophole in the Internal Revenue Code.

The purpose of the age 70 1/2 rule, therefore,  is to place a cap on the loophole.   At some point, a taxpayer must be forced to include in income amounts that his employer was able to deduct years before.

Eliminating the age 70 1/2 rule would blow an enormous hole in the federal deficit.  Unless spending is cut, it would be the height of irresponsibilty.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 02:13:14 pm »
I second that emotion!

So you prefer eliminating pre-tax contributions altogether,  and taxing investment earnings on retirement savings as it builds up?  That would allow all withdrawals to be tax-free.   That is a perfectly viable alternative, and would go a long toward trimming the federal budget deficit.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:16:34 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 04:09:23 pm »
I never understood the logic of the mandatory withdraws

Correct. 

The purpose of the age 70 1/2 rule, therefore,  is to place a cap on the loophole.   At some point, a taxpayer must be forced to include in income amounts that his employer was able to deduct years before.

Eliminating the age 70 1/2 rule would blow an enormous hole in the federal deficit.  Unless spending is cut, it would be the height of irresponsibilty.

Thank you for answering my question.   :beer:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 04:10:28 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.