Author Topic: Trump personally lobbying GOP senators to flip on Sessions  (Read 436 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump personally lobbying GOP senators to flip on Sessions
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:03:28 pm »
 Trump personally lobbying GOP senators to flip on Sessions

Opposition to the attorney general's firing, long seen as a red line by lawmakers, has softened in recent days.

By ELIANA JOHNSON and ELANA SCHOR

08/29/2018 06:44 PM EDT

The willingness of Republican senators to turn on Attorney General Jeff Sessions is the result of a furious lobbying campaign from President Donald Trump, who for the past 10 days has been venting his anger at Sessions to “any senator who will listen,” as one GOP Senate aide put it.

The president, who has spent a year and a half fulminating against his attorney general in public, finally got traction on Capitol Hill thanks to the growing frustration of a handful of GOP senators with their former colleague – most importantly, Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley and South Carolina’s Lindsey Graham, who have been irritated by Sessions’ opposition to a criminal justice reform bill they support, according to interviews with more than a half-dozen congressional GOP aides, Trump advisers, and Republicans close to the White House.

Trump raised the prospect of firing Sessions last week in a phone conversation with Graham, according to two Capitol Hill aides, who said that Graham pressed the president to hold off until after the midterm elections. The president has also complained loudly about Sessions to several Republican senators, according to a GOP chief staff.

Grassley has not gotten a call from the White House, according to a Republican familiar with events.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/29/trump-sessions-firing-senators-white-house-803922
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Trump personally lobbying GOP senators to flip on Sessions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 02:15:49 pm »
I think Trump is going to be on his own with this. He made the mess by choosing this weasel. Now he has to clean it up.

Sessions is the stealth AG. How can anyone be against Sessions since he never says or does anything at all. He is a ghost. Sessions is the invisible man. I'm not even sure he actually shows up to work every week.

How can Trump expect to 'rally the troops' against a shadow?

Trump could have taken care of this months ago. He chose not to act. So now it is all on him.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 02:21:05 pm »
I think Trump is going to be on his own with this. He made the mess by choosing this weasel. Now he has to clean it up.

Sessions is the stealth AG. How can anyone be against Sessions since he never says or does anything at all. He is a ghost. Sessions is the invisible man. I'm not even sure he actually shows up to work every week.

Trump could have taken care of this months ago. He chose not to act. So now it is all on him.

In hindsight its clear he shoulda replaced him the instant he recused himself from Mueller's farce. No one could have questioned his motives if he'da done it right away.

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:41:15 pm »

I think the problem all along has been getting a replacement confirmed. Rosenstein will be running the DOJ until a replacement is confirmed. If the Pubs pick up 3-4 seats in the Senate and the AZ Gov. fills the vacant Senate seat with a real Pub Trump will have enough votes to get a new AG confirmed.

I would love to see a new AG who will clean house. I really don't like not being able to trust law enforcement in this country.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:09:39 pm »
I think the problem all along has been getting a replacement confirmed. Rosenstein will be running the DOJ until a replacement is confirmed. If the Pubs pick up 3-4 seats in the Senate and the AZ Gov. fills the vacant Senate seat with a real Pub Trump will have enough votes to get a new AG confirmed.

I would love to see a new AG who will clean house. I really don't like not being able to trust law enforcement in this country.

It's a shame Ted is needed in TX as he would make an excellent AG!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 12:42:50 am »
It's a shame Ted is needed in TX as he would make an excellent AG!
@libertybele

Joe diGenova
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self