Author Topic: 'Low-Carb' Diet May Up Odds for an Early Death  (Read 837 times)

rangerrebew

'Low-Carb' Diet May Up Odds for an Early Death
« on: August 30, 2018, 12:38:43 pm »

'Low-Carb' Diet May Up Odds for an Early Death

By Amy Norton

HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, Aug. 28, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- People who slash carbohydrates from their diets may shorten their lifespan, a new study suggests.

Using data on nearly 25,000 Americans, researchers found that the one-quarter who ate the fewest carbs each day also had a higher risk of dying over the next six years. Specifically, they had higher death rates from heart disease, stroke and cancer.

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20180828/low-carb-diet-may-up-odds-for-an-early-death#1

Offline dfwgator

Re: 'Low-Carb' Diet May Up Odds for an Early Death
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 12:57:34 pm »
What food companies paid for this study.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 03:23:49 pm »
The article says those who die young develop heart disease, stroke and cancer.  But then it says:

Low-carb diets typically involve eating a lot of protein, mostly meat and dairy products, and consuming less vegetables, fruit and grains. The Atkins and Keto diets are two examples of this kind of eating regimen.

Well, if you are going to consume huge amounts of red meat and full fat dairy products to make up for the carbs, then yes, you are likely to develop coronary artery disease from consuming too much of these foods. 

Because I am diabetic, I have to moderate my carb intake.  Notice I said "moderate."  I didn't say "cut out entirely."  I think that's where people go wrong.  They try to cut out every possible carb while at the same time consume too much protein -- mostly from high-fat sources.  If you eat sensibly -- moderate amounts of carb, protein and fat, instead --  you will lose weight, control diabetes or whatever you are trying to accomplish.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 03:58:53 pm »
Low-carb diets typically involve eating a lot of protein, mostly meat and dairy products, and consuming less vegetables, fruit and grains. The Atkins and Keto diets are two examples of this kind of eating regimen.

This is silly.

I eat a low carb, low sugar diet that is loaded with fruits and veggies and contains very little meat.

It's how I stay in shape, have more energy, and the reason I'm going to live to be 100, and feel good the rest of my life.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 04:29:15 pm »
Yes, there are some fools that think Atkins is a license to eat Bacon 24/7. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 04:39:05 pm »
Last week my Primary Physician said to live long and healthy,

1. Choose your parents well

2. Take good care of your brain (read, study, etc.)

I forgot the other stuff

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 04:41:21 pm »
Considering that the majority of people who adopt low-carb-high-protein diets are already overweight and/or diabetic, and therefore already at a higher risk for heart attack and stroke, this study is probably meaningless.
Let it burn.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 04:43:26 pm »
Considering that the majority of people who adopt low-carb-high-protein diets are already overweight and/or diabetic, and therefore already at a higher risk for heart attack and stroke, this study is probably meaningless.

Yeah........... sort of like the "studies" that show that Diet Coke causes obesity.    *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.