Author Topic: McCain’s Brand of Patriotism Is a Needed Alternative to Trump’s Nationalism  (Read 1378 times)

Offline endicom

National Review
Jonah Goldberg
Aug. 29, 2018

The death of Senator John McCain has elicited an enormous amount of commentary about the differences between the former Navy pilot and POW and the current president of the United States, who received five draft deferments, one of them for “bone spurs,” and who once remarked that avoiding getting a sexually transmitted disease was his “personal Vietnam.”

Their personal differences are indeed profound, underlining the decline in “old-fashioned” notions of duty, honor, and character, and the new emphasis on personal celebrity and “winning” on your own terms. There’s an obvious symbol for the chasm between the two men in that already iconic picture of the American flag flying at full staff at the White House but at half-staff across the National Mall. (Late Monday, President Trump was forced to lower the flag and offer some grudging acknowledgment of McCain’s service to country.)

The two men are also imperfect avatars for a deep ideological divide on the right between what might be called the forces of democracy and the forces of nationalism. And right now the nationalists are winning.

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/john-mccain-patriotism-alternative-to-trump-nationalism/

Offline endicom

Democracy, democracy, League of Democracies.

I don't think so.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
What Mr. Goldberg fails to grok is that Mr. McCain was his own kind of nationalist. His "national greatness conservatism" and notion of the "greater good" came down, yet again, yet on another path, to the State being everything and the individual, nothing. Mr. McCain also committing enough floutings of the Constitution of his own (campaign finance reform was only one such flouting) on behalf of his "national greatness conservatism" to disqualify him as an argument against nationalism, Trumpian or otherwise. As a military hero and a prisoner of war of uncommon courage, one takes one's hat off to Mr. McCain; but, as any kind of example of fighting for freedom, for individual rights, and for properly-construed and limited government, one puts one's hat back on ten times.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
McCain’s Brand of Patriotism???????

I don't think so.

No thanks.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline jpsb

But for a stain a blue dress Johnathan Goldberg would be flipping burgers. FU Goldberg.

Offline Frank Cannon

Ah. Another lackey for the Establishment who has never has left the cocoon of NYC/DC tries to prop up their rotting leader.

underlining the decline in “old-fashioned” notions of duty, honor, and character..."

Sure thing Jonah. Looting the taxpayers in the S&L scandal, destroying a mans life for exposing his drug addict creep whore wife, cavorting with various terrorists to pimp for more wars to satisfy his handlers, being an all around angry and spiteful piece of garbage his whole life. Really great stuff to highlight.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
National Review
Jonah Goldberg
Aug. 29, 2018

My hasn't  Buckley's ideas degraded to shit.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The only patriotism McCain had was to himself.  If that happened to benefit the country, that was secondary.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Absalom

My hasn't  Buckley's ideas degraded to shit.
---------------------------------------------\
Indeed, Buckley was a Principled Conservative in the mold of Burke.
His successors; Lowry, Goldberg among many, are frauds and hustlers
who traffic in the bullshit of ignoramuses.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sorry, can't comment.  Still laughing at the title.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Sorry, can't comment.  Still laughing at the title.

Wait till you hear that some fools want Trump to give him the Congressional Medal Of Honor. 
That's a real belly slapper.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

Wait till you hear that some fools want Trump to give him the Congressional Medal Of Honor. 
That's a real belly slapper.

I broke out laughing reading that gag until I realized you were serious. I'm not laughing now.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I broke out laughing reading that gag until I realized you were serious. I'm not laughing now.

Unbelievable isn't it.   To think some fool had the temerity to even think it was a good idea much less speak it out load..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:30:24 am by The Ghost »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Trump would probably do it, too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

Trump would probably do it, too.

Doing a little hump day wine tasting?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Doing a little hump day wine tasting?

LOL.  No.  Let's just hope he only tweets it....
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
McCain’s Brand of Patriotism???????

I don't think so.

No thanks.

A bunch of lies. Show something that is not internet conspiracy garbage that says this.
Rand Paul Eats Up Hoax That John McCain Met With ISIS

The libertarian senator claims John McCain was pictured with the jihadists, even though that's been proven false.
Olivia Nuzzi

In an interview with The Daily Beast on Tuesday, Sen. Rand Paul discussed the war against ISIS—and in doing so, repeated a thoroughly debunked rumor about John McCain palling around with the Islamic extremist group. Needless to say, a certain famously hot-tempered five-term senator and former presidential candidate was not at all amused.

“Here’s the problem,” Paul told The Daily Beast. “He [McCain] did meet with ISIS, and had his picture taken, and didn’t know it was happening at the time. That really shows you the quandary of determining who are the moderates and who aren’t. If you don’t speak Arabic, and you don’t understand that some people will lie to you—I really think that we don’t have a good handle on who are the moderates and who aren’t, and I think the objective evidence is that the ones doing most of the fighting and most of the battles among the rebels in Syria are the radical Islamists.”

Here’s the other problem: The rumor that McCain met with ISIS in northern Syria in May 2013 has been proven false. As reported by The New York Times, pictures of McCain meeting with members of the Free Syrian Army—who have historically opposed ISIS—have been seized upon by conspiracy theorists and McCain skeptics, some of whom have gone as far as to photoshop McCain pinning a medal on the chest of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Emboldening believers is the fact that McCain sometimes misspeaks, like on Monday evening on Fox News, when he asked "Has Rand Paul ever been to Syria? Has he ever met with ISIS?"

Read more at: https://www.thedailybeast.com/rand-paul-eats-up-hoax-that-john-mccain-met-with-isis  or other places, debunking this that people use to slander.

Bagdadi had a full beard.

Does This Photograph Show John McCain Meeting an ISIS Leader?

A photograph taken in Syria in 2013 shows Senator John McCain posing with a commander of a Syrian opposition group, not ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-mccain-meets-isis-leader/

Just Russian loving propagandists and internet conspiracists post that garbage above, even Walid Shoebat, big internet conspiracist says it is wrong.

John McCain NEVER met with Caliph Al-Baghdadi and Al-Baghdadi was NEVER a CIA or Mossad Agent and the Vatican is not the Harlot of Babylon
By Ted on August 26, 2014 in Featured, General

By Walid Shoebat (Shoebat Exclusive)

No, John McCain never met with Baghdadi and Snowden NEVER said that the CIA and the Mossad trained him and neither did Obama have a ring that says “In the Name Of Allah” on it, Allah which in Arabic does somewhat look like a squiggly and what was on Obama’s ring was a pure squiggly, not Allah in Arabic.

So many make up there minds easily and follow their prejudiced views without scratching the surface or spending real time to examine carefully everything they read or see on the Internet.

http://shoebat.org/2014/08/26/john-mccain-never-met-caliph-al-baghdadi-al-baghdadi-never-cia-mossad-agent-vatican-harlot-babylon/

Spread falsehoods, slander if one must. That's been proven pretty well false.

No credible news source, not even the Russians or Assad say this.

What a joke anyone would still be posting this. I guess, Lee Harvey Oswald didn't shoot the president alone either.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:19:58 am by TomSea »