Author Topic: Air Force Vet Turned NSA Leaker Reality Winner Receives Record-Setting Prison Sentence  (Read 989 times)

rangerrebew

Air Force Vet Turned NSA Leaker Reality Winner Receives Record-Setting Prison Sentence
By Jeremy Redmon, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
on August 23, 2018

Reality Winner on Thursday received a record-setting prison sentence — five years and three months behind bars — for leaking a top-secret government report about Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

“I sincerely apologize and take full responsibility for my actions,” the former National Security Agency contractor told Chief U.S. District Court Judge J. Randal Hall in a federal court in Augusta. “In particular, I want to apologize to my family.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/nsa-leaker-reality-winner-sentence/

Offline Night Hides Not

Air Force Vet Turned NSA Leaker Reality Winner Receives Record-Setting Prison Sentence
By Jeremy Redmon, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
on August 23, 2018

Reality Winner on Thursday received a record-setting prison sentence — five years and three months behind bars — for leaking a top-secret government report about Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

“I sincerely apologize and take full responsibility for my actions,” the former National Security Agency contractor told Chief U.S. District Court Judge J. Randal Hall in a federal court in Augusta. “In particular, I want to apologize to my family.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/nsa-leaker-reality-winner-sentence/

Her parents should apologize to her for naming her "Reality".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline dfwgator

Reality Bites.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Reality Bites.

lol.... After reading headline I thought it was an AF vet, who won on some reality. TV show.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Got what she deserves. Now what about Shillery and her national security malfeasance
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Concerned

I don't think 5 years and 3 months is anywhere near enough.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Got what she deserves. Now what about Shillery and her national security malfeasance

@RetBobbyMI

Some criminals really are "too big to bust",in more ways than one.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't think 5 years and 3 months is anywhere near enough.

@Concerned

That depends on the seriousness of the info she revealed. Was it just embarrassing,or was it harmful to the nation,as well as a risk to the lives of CIA agents in the field?

If it was just embarrassing,5 years is appropriate. If it was more serious,life in prison or death.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but the fact that she "received a record-setting prison sentence...for leaking a top-secret government report about Russian meddling in the 2016 election" is sort of odd. 

Winner, the prosecutors said, mailed a copy of an NSA document to The Intercept, an online publication. The Intercept published an article based on the report, saying Russian military intelligence sent spear-phishing emails to more than 100 local election officials and launched a cyberattack against a Florida-based voting software supplier that contracts in eight states.

Why would this be such a sensitive thing to leak?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but the fact that she "received a record-setting prison sentence...for leaking a top-secret government report about Russian meddling in the 2016 election" is sort of odd. 

Why would this be such a sensitive thing to leak?

@Sanguine

Because it made the Russians aware that the US knew what they were doing,and as a result,would be running a counter-intel operation against them. Not only that,but there is no way the Russians could do this with us aware of it without them losing covert assets.

Counter Espionage is a very big-time deal.

Offline Concerned

@Concerned

That depends on the seriousness of the info she revealed. Was it just embarrassing,or was it harmful to the nation,as well as a risk to the lives of CIA agents in the field?

If it was just embarrassing,5 years is appropriate. If it was more serious,life in prison or death.

I doubt it risks CIA agents in the field since it was a NSA-developed document, but The Intercept info did include information from Top Secret documents that described that "RUSSIAN MILITARY INTELLIGENCE executed a cyberattack on at least one U.S. voting software supplier and sent spear-phishing emails to more than 100 local election officials just days before last November’s presidential election, according to a highly classified intelligence report obtained by The Intercept."   It most probably jeopardized some sources and methods since it gave the Russians a heads up as to the type of information that we can gather in exposing their cyber spear-phising efforts. 

Regardless, when you pledge you'll never release TS and TS/SCI information to unauthorized sources, you shouldn't do it, and I'd like to see severe penalities made against anyone who refuses to honor that pledge that they themselves made and chose to violate.

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/top-secret-nsa-report-details-russian-hacking-effort-days-before-2016-election/
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

..  It most probably jeopardized some sources and methods since it gave the Russians a heads up as to the type of information that we can gather in exposing their cyber spear-phising efforts. 

@Concerned
 I would say "almost certainly". The uncertainty is based on the fact that the Russians might have already known about it from bribed US politicians.

Regardless, when you pledge you'll never release TS and TS/SCI information to unauthorized sources, you shouldn't do it, and I'd like to see severe penalities made against anyone who refuses to honor that pledge that they themselves made and chose to violate.

Speaking as someone who used to hold a TS/Crypto and code word security clearance,I can't argue with that. IIRC,being turned into a toad was one of the milder threats that were standard.
https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/top-secret-nsa-report-details-russian-hacking-effort-days-before-2016-election/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

Because it made the Russians aware that the US knew what they were doing,and as a result,would be running a counter-intel operation against them. Not only that,but there is no way the Russians could do this with us aware of it without them losing covert assets.

Counter Espionage is a very big-time deal.

I understand that, Pete.  I just wonder if it's us that they didn't want to know about the phising.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I understand that, Pete.  I just wonder if it's us that they didn't want to know about the phising.

@Sanguine

Good question. My only suggestion is to flip a coin. You are as likely to be right or wrong regardless of how it lands. The intelligence and counter intelligence worlds make Alice in Wonderland look like Leave it to Beaver by comparison. You,or anyone else,can go insane once you start focusing on "yeah,but,on the other hand....." probabilities/possibilities.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:23:40 pm by sneakypete »