Author Topic: How the opioid crackdown is backfiring  (Read 458 times)

Offline corbe

How the opioid crackdown is backfiring
« on: August 29, 2018, 01:11:21 am »
How the opioid crackdown is backfiring

Hundreds of chronic pain patients responding to a POLITICO survey describe being refused opioid prescriptions they had relied on for years with sometimes devastating consequences.

By BRIANNA EHLEY
 08/28/2018 05:06 AM EDT

Last August, Jon Fowlkes told his wife he planned to kill himself.

The former law enforcement officer was in constant pain after his doctor had abruptly cut off the twice-a-day OxyContin that had helped him endure excruciating back pain from a motorcycle crash almost two decades ago that had left him nearly paralyzed despite multiple surgeries.

“I came into the office one day and he said, ‘You have to find another doctor. You can’t come here anymore,’” Fowlkes, 58, recalled. The doctor gave him one last prescription and sent him away.

Like many Americans with chronic, disabling pain, Fowlkes felt angry and betrayed as state and federal regulators, starting in the Obama years and intensifying under President Donald Trump, cracked down on opioid prescribing to reduce the toll of overdose deaths. Hundreds of patients responding to a POLITICO reader survey told similar stories of being suddenly refused prescriptions for medications they’d relied on for years — sometimes just to get out of bed in the morning — and left to suffer untreated pain on top of withdrawal symptoms like vomiting and insomnia.

<..snip..>

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/28/how-the-opioid-crackdown-is-backfiring-752183
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: How the opioid crackdown is backfiring
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 01:18:19 am »
   It's a tough monkey to shake loose as is all the replacements of Winstons, Bourbon and Beer.
   I figure a crazy woman will do me in before my Liver gives out, anyway, so it's all good. 
   Been opioid free for so long I quit counting. The pain is bearable with the aforementioned substitutes and of course a happy disposition, helps tremendously.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.