Author Topic: Trump threatens action against Google for 'rigged' search results  (Read 3046 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The Washington Examiner
by Caitlin Yilek
August 28, 2018

President Trump on Tuesday accused Google of suppressing positive stories about him, and threatened to take some kind of action against the company by warning this problem "will be addressed!"

"Google search results for 'Trump News' shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake New Media," he wrote on Twitter. “In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD. Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal?”

(more)
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-threatens-action-against-google-for-rigged-search-results
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Trump threatens action against Google for 'rigged' search results
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 12:42:04 pm »
And had Obama threatened this, the idiots now applauding it would have their heads exploding.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 12:46:05 pm »
And had Obama threatened this, the idiots now applauding it would have their heads exploding.

Who you calling an idiot, sucka?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 12:50:31 pm »
Who you calling an idiot, sucka?

The idiots applauding such a threat upon a private business from the Executive.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 12:56:55 pm »
The idiots applauding such a threat upon a private business from the Executive.

When a "private" global business censors search results to support a political agenda?

Who are you, @INVAR ?

Your hatred of the President overrides any sensibilities that may remain encased in your brain.

...and I betcha they rattle around in there.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 01:04:55 pm »
When a "private" global business censors search results to support a political agenda?

Who are you, @INVAR ?

Your hatred of the President overrides any sensibilities that may remain encased in your brain.

...and I betcha they rattle around in there.

So... using the presidency to intimidate and threaten actions against a private business are a-okay with you and yours - so long as it's Trump and not Obama doing the threatening?

I will forever laugh at the likes of you when you reference yourself as a Conservative. 

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 01:15:31 pm »
Is a privately owned toll-road a 'private business'?
Can a privately owned toll-road allow this person or business but not that person or business to use the road?
Can a privately owned toll-road forbid anyone with a Trump bumper sticker to use the road?

Google/Twitter/Facebook are more than a mom and pop store on the corner. They are quasi-private but more of a public service, like the electricity company or a phone provider.

Furthermore, these companies are moving toward becoming media providers more than they are open forums. This puts them under federal jurisdiction.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 01:22:34 pm »
So... using the presidency to intimidate and threaten actions against a private business are a-okay with you and yours - so long as it's Trump and not Obama doing the threatening?

I will forever laugh at the likes of you when you reference yourself as a Conservative.

Any action taken by the federal government against Google, will apply to other search engines too.

To build algorithms specifically to hide any other political ideology other than your own, is propaganda...not truth.

WTF did you think they talked about during those 350+ meetings at the White House and/or Washington, DC while Barry was POTUS?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 01:31:10 pm »

Care to name any privately owned toll roads or bridges in the country??? 

Google/Twitter/Facebook are more than a mom and pop store on the corner.

Oh, so in your brave new world, only mom and pop stores are free from Government telling them how they must run their businesses?  Does that including being able to bake wedding cakes unmolested?

They are quasi-private but more of a public service, like the electricity company or a phone provider.

So businesses the Executive declares are public services, like newspapers, news stations and internet search engines must now be forced to provide positive feedback and accolades for the president.  Gotcha.

Furthermore, these companies are moving toward becoming media providers more than they are open forums. This puts them under federal jurisdiction.

Yeah, and I'm sure when any business a future Marxist president  decides to target, he can thank Trump for providing the precedent necessary for him to choose, target and name any business they decree are 'public services, advertising and media providers' with being under federal jurisdiction and regulatory authority.

Any action taken by the federal government against Google, will apply to other search engines too.

To build algorithms specifically to hide any other political ideology other than your own, is propaganda...not truth.

It's hilariously funny watching self-identifying Conservatives push and promote their own Fairness Doctrine, so long as it's Trump pushing it.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 01:45:04 pm »
Care to name any privately owned toll roads or bridges in the country??? 

Foreign Company Now Owns Six Major US Tolls Roads
https://www.thetruckersreport.com/foreign-company-now-owns-six-major-us-tolls-roads/

Private Toll Road Backed By $430 Million in Federal Funds Goes Bust
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/10/18/private-toll-road-backed-by-430-million-in-federal-funds-goes-bust/

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 01:49:06 pm »
Can a privately owned toll-road allow this person or business but not that person or business to use the road?
Can a privately owned toll-road forbid anyone with a Trump bumper sticker to use the road?

Google/Twitter/Facebook are more than a mom and pop store on the corner. They are quasi-private but more of a public service, like the electricity company or a phone provider.

Yes, a true privately owned toll road can allow anyone or no one they choose on to their property. (You are probably confusing state owned toll roads which are contracted out to private businesses to manage- those aren't privately owned.)

I could build and put up a road across some of my property tomorrow and choose who I want to pass through it. There is no public right to my private property, I created a service and can choose what to do with it.

But the Google analogy is closer to a book store. A book store can choose all day long what books to put on shelves, what to hide in the back, and what not to carry around all. Any given author has no right to those shelves. That's up for the store to decide. As a recourse, it is up to the consumer to decide if that store meets their needs, and if not, choose a different store.

But I guess the new mantra of the right:

Bake Host the damn cake content.

It really has become two sides of the same authoritarian, collectivist coin.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:51:12 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 01:49:52 pm »
Foreign Company Now Owns Six Major US Tolls Roads
https://www.thetruckersreport.com/foreign-company-now-owns-six-major-us-tolls-roads/

Private Toll Road Backed By $430 Million in Federal Funds Goes Bust
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/10/18/private-toll-road-backed-by-430-million-in-federal-funds-goes-bust/

Technically they own the management rights to those roads, not the physical property.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 01:54:58 pm »
I have an idea!  How about choosing a search engine other than Google!   I did that a long time ago and there is a long list of choices!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 01:59:43 pm »

Oh, so in your brave new world, only mom and pop stores are free from Government telling them how they must run their businesses?  Does that including being able to bake wedding cakes unmolested?

What's ironic, this is textbook Fascism (no, I'm not talking Nazism here, but more along the lines of Peron/Franco Fascism). Any industry that was deemed in the national interest was basically nationalized through regulations to operate only in the national interest. Mom and pops were allowed to operate (as long as they were friendly to the state). But if you look at true Fascist states in history, things like auto industries, media, communications, farming, energy- everything they deemed in the public good that was privately controlled, was taken over by the state through regulations. (marriage of corporate and state as Mussolini put it).

This was almost a word for word argument that Franco used in his rise. Under his falangism, with the guise of Nationalism, anything that passed along information (printers, bookstores, etc) were tightly regulated to control the message. If they were deemed unfair to Franco, they were regulated or bullied into compliance.

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 02:00:23 pm »
I have an idea!  How about choosing a search engine other than Google!   I did that a long time ago and there is a long list of choices!

That's how it is supposed to work. The Consumer freely decides if they want a product or not, and if not, choose a different one. Not demand and cheer big government forcing it to their liking.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 02:09:52 pm »
He can say whatever he wants. If it gives the ninnies the vapors, so much the better.

Wake me when he files suit.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 02:44:51 pm »
Another day, another enemy for Trump to target.  If it isn't Jeff Sessions or Robert Mueller, it's some business or owner of that business. 

As I recall, not long ago, Trump targeted Amazon because he didn't like its CEO Jeff Bezos and Bezos' other business, WaPo and what WaPo had to say about him.  At the time Trump threatened legal action.  But Bezos wasn't intimidated.  Amazon is still here and still thriving.   And I have yet to see or hear of any legal action taken by Trump probably because hurt feelings don't qualify as a basis for any legal action that he might be contemplating.

Trump could accomplish a lot of things if he would stop trying to entertain his fans with these manufactured controversies and actually get busy on all those campaign promises he and Republicans in congress made to the voters..

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 02:56:23 pm »

What's ironic, this is textbook Fascism (no, I'm not talking Nazism here, but more along the lines of Peron/Franco Fascism). Any industry that was deemed in the national interest was basically nationalized through regulations to operate only in the national interest. Mom and pops were allowed to operate (as long as they were friendly to the state). But if you look at true Fascist states in history, things like auto industries, media, communications, farming, energy- everything they deemed in the public good that was privately controlled, was taken over by the state through regulations. (marriage of corporate and state as Mussolini put it).

This was almost a word for word argument that Franco used in his rise. Under his falangism, with the guise of Nationalism, anything that passed along information (printers, bookstores, etc) were tightly regulated to control the message. If they were deemed unfair to Franco, they were regulated or bullied into compliance.

Well before Trump and his hordes of "Conservative" Nationalists make that official policy - they are currently applauding a new Fairness Doctrine be imposed by the power of Government at the behest of the Executive.

Apparently these pretend "Conservatives" no longer believe that government is the problem, now they see government as the solution - exactly as the Left does.  So they are applauding their version of 'equal time' imposed on the internet and media - and just like the Leftists who abused their version of the doctrine - they too will abuse it and make Fascism absolute.

Which is why I wanted nothing to do with them in the first place.  They want payback and vengeance, they are not interested in liberty whatsoever.  Government tyranny is fine with them as long as they are the ones imposing it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 03:29:53 pm »
Another day, another enemy for Trump to target.  If it isn't Jeff Sessions or Robert Mueller, it's some business or owner of that business. 

As I recall, not long ago, Trump targeted Amazon because he didn't like its CEO Jeff Bezos and Bezos' other business, WaPo and what WaPo had to say about him.  At the time Trump threatened legal action.  But Bezos wasn't intimidated.  Amazon is still here and still thriving.   And I have yet to see or hear of any legal action taken by Trump probably because hurt feelings don't qualify as a basis for any legal action that he might be contemplating.

Trump could accomplish a lot of things if he would stop trying to entertain his fans with these manufactured controversies and actually get busy on all those campaign promises he and Republicans in congress made to the voters..

I wonder if he will target the Airline industry next.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 03:42:47 pm »
Thanks @kevindavis   Bing is the default search engine on my laptop and I have used DuckDuckGo and Quora.  There are always choices.

Offline ABX

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 04:36:13 pm »
Thanks @kevindavis   Bing is the default search engine on my laptop and I have used DuckDuckGo and Quora.  There are always choices.

Bing seems to be better just for quality of results anyway. Less crap (BS sites that rank high due to metadata) to wade through.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 04:39:29 pm »
Best search engine ever.....

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 04:41:53 pm »
Best search engine ever.....

As long as you don't mind the information ending in 1975. :)

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 04:44:20 pm »
As long as you don't mind the information ending in 1975. :)

Nothing good happened after then anyway.