Author Topic: God's presidential plan for Mike Pence- Paul Thornton, LA Times  (Read 376 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

God's presidential plan for Mike Pence
By PAUL THORNTON
AUG 25, 2018

It is this background that helps me understand the behavior of Vice President Mike Pence, the pious man who faithfully serves the famously non-penitent President Trump. Just as the faithful Christians at my school were happy to perpetuate falsehoods about disease-spreading condoms if it served the greater godliness of abstinence before marriage, Pence is willing to abide Trump’s constant lying and personal moral failings if it puts him in the best position to do God’s will by becoming president.

And that ascension became orders of magnitude more likely this week, making his moral capitulation to Trumpism justifiable in the eyes of God. In an L.A. Times op-ed article, Michael D’Antonio and Peter Eisner, authors of a book on Pence, explain the vice president’s theocratic calculations:

The key to understanding Pence’s version of religion lies in his favorite bit of scripture, from Jeremiah, which reads: “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” This verse is now on display in the vice president’s residence. It is especially popular among Calvinists who believe that God directly orchestrates everything that happens on Earth.

Read more at: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/readersreact/la-ol-opinion-newsletter-mike-pence-20180825-story.html