Author Topic: Trump still pretends he is powerless over the Department of Justice  (Read 816 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump still pretends he is powerless over the Department of Justice
by Philip Wegmann
 | August 24, 2018 10:11 AM

Donald Trump has occupied the White House for a grand total of 580 days. Apparently the president hasn’t discovered all the features and perks that come with the Oval Office. Take his tweets.

Early Friday morning the leader of the free world publicly shamed Jeff Sessions, asking his attorney general to open up the files of the Department of Justice so the public could peek at documents concerning everything from the Russia dossier to FISA applications. It would be quite the haul. It would dominate news cycles for months to come. It could happen tomorrow.

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

“Department of Justice will not be improperly influenced by political considerations.” Jeff, this is GREAT, what everyone wants, so look into all of the corruption on the “other side” including deleted Emails, Comey lies & leaks, Mueller conflicts, McCabe, Strzok, Page, Ohr......
5:17 AM - Aug 24, 2018

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

....FISA abuse, Christopher Steele & his phony and corrupt Dossier, the Clinton Foundation, illegal surveillance of Trump Campaign, Russian collusion by Dems - and so much more. Open up the papers & documents without redaction? Come on Jeff, you can do it, the country is waiting!
5:28 AM - Aug 24, 2018 

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/trump-still-pretends-he-is-powerless-over-the-doj
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Trump still pretends he is powerless over the Department of Justice
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 02:37:45 pm »
Trump still pretends he is powerless over the Department of Justice
by Philip Wegmann
 | August 24, 2018 10:11 AM

Donald Trump has occupied the White House for a grand total of 580 days. Apparently the president hasn’t discovered all the features and perks that come with the Oval Office. Take his tweets.

Early Friday morning the leader of the free world publicly shamed Jeff Sessions, asking his attorney general to open up the files of the Department of Justice so the public could peek at documents concerning everything from the Russia dossier to FISA applications. It would be quite the haul. It would dominate news cycles for months to come. It could happen tomorrow.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/trump-still-pretends-he-is-powerless-over-the-doj

And in the end that is what it's going to come down to. The President is going to have to do what needs doing and get this damned mess cleaned up!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 02:39:29 pm »
Can he appoint someone to fill in for Sessions if Trump fires him, and does that person have to pass nomination in the Senate?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 02:43:41 pm »
Can he appoint someone to fill in for Sessions if Trump fires him, and does that person have to pass nomination in the Senate?

@Free Vulcan

He can fire Sessions AND Rod Rosenstein right this minute and appoint their replacements in the same sentence if he wants to. Both would require Senate confirmation of the new appointments.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 02:44:55 pm »
bleep still like to pretend that this kind of stuff isn't damaging to the image of the Trump presidency, well, it is. This is an internecine squabble and it makes things look chaotic.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:51:34 pm »
@Free Vulcan

He can fire Sessions AND Rod Rosenstein right this minute and appoint their replacements in the same sentence if he wants to. Both would require Senate confirmation of the new appointments.

Thx, I didn't know if interim appointments required confirmation or not.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 03:18:56 pm »
bleep still like to pretend that this kind of stuff isn't damaging to the image of the Trump presidency, well, it is. This is an internecine squabble and it makes things look chaotic.

Perhaps the unrelenting charges of obstruction of justice ---from within the GOP--- would damage the image of the Trump presidency a wee bit more.   :pondering:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 03:28:52 pm »
I still think Trump's strategy is to keep his powder dry until after the midterms.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 09:30:36 pm »
This "sturm und drang" may be fodder for the FOX yip-yap gang
and assorted posters but anyone who believes that plain people,
who go about their lives, are interested; needs to get real.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 10:14:49 pm »
I still think Trump's strategy is to keep his powder dry until after the midterms.

I do not trust any single poll. I believe the "most likely" scenario, is to hold or slightly lose the House, but to add seats in the Senate.

Trump NEEDS more Senate seats, to have a real majority for confirmations.

I further believe the dems strategy is to push as much as possible, although Impeachment+ removal is highly unlikely. But it weakens Trump.

I believe the dems remember they drove Nixon from office, without Impeachment.

And there is the matter of payback for Clinton who was weakened by Impeachment.

The only "grounds" necessary for Impeachment, are what the House says.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 10:25:02 pm »
I do not trust any single poll. I believe the "most likely" scenario, is to hold or slightly lose the House, but to add seats in the Senate.

Trump NEEDS more Senate seats, to have a real majority for confirmations.

I further believe the dems strategy is to push as much as possible, although Impeachment+ removal is highly unlikely. But it weakens Trump.

I believe the dems remember they drove Nixon from office, without Impeachment.

And there is the matter of payback for Clinton who was weakened by Impeachment.

The only "grounds" necessary for Impeachment, are what the House says.

If Watergate had happened today, Pres. Nixon would have told Kissinger and Baker to blow it out their azz rather than resign the presidency.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald