Author Topic: 'We are not making sufficient progress': Trump directs Pompeo to cancel North Korea trip  (Read 9818 times)

Offline skeeter

Open my mind. Tell me how "There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea" strengthens the US negotiating position.

I can only repeat myself.

Offline DB

My answer wasn't so much for you as it was for any other person watching who might be in possession of something approaching an open mind.

But for you: do you REALLY believe Trump thought he could get away with this "lie" and fool the world into believing Kim was nuke free?

Trump lies often for no reason. It gets him into all sorts of trouble. It's like a carnival barker trying to make the short term sale. It's expiration date is in minutes. I can't explain Trump's "thinking". His claim here inexplicable in any real terms.

Offline skeeter

Trump lies often for no reason. It gets him into all sorts of trouble. It's like a carnival barker trying to make the short term sale. It's expiration date is in minutes. I can't explain Trump's "thinking". His claim here inexplicable in any real terms.

"I can't explain".

Thanks

Offline DB

I can only repeat myself.

Okay, I missed it the first time then. Point to where you explained how that strengthened the US's negotiating position. Or is it just a matter of faith?

Offline skeeter

Okay, I missed it the first time then. Point to where you explained how that strengthened the US's negotiating position. Or is it just a matter of faith?

If your question is a sincere one re-read post 17.

Offline DB

"I can't explain".

Thanks

So I take it your explanation is Trump really believed the nuclear threat was over when he said that. Is that your position? Because it wasn't a negotiating position that you've provided any explanation for.

Offline DB

If your question is a sincere one re-read post 17.

Got it. So that was pressure for NK to deliver. Hmm... That's pretty thin while on the other side of that equation it takes pressure off because our side is saying the problem is solved.

Offline skeeter

Got it. So that was pressure for NK to deliver. Hmm... That's pretty thin while on the other side of that equation it takes pressure off because our side is saying the problem is solved.

I believe its ludicrous to claim Trump thought he could successfully pull off such a lie, and that he must've had another motive for saying these things.

On the other hand you believe that, yes, Trump did think he could fool the world into believing the Norks were now nuke free thanks to him (even though that would imply a secret pact - a conspiracy - between Trump and Kim). He thought he could claim victory, wash his hands of the entire situation, and move right on to the next whopper. Because "who knows why Trump lies?"

Why don't we just agree to disagree and get on with our weekends?

Offline DB

I believe its ludicrous to claim Trump thought he could successfully pull off such a lie, and that he must've had another motive for saying these things.

On the other hand you believe that, yes, Trump did think he could fool the world into believing the Norks were now nuke free thanks to him (even though that would imply a secret pact - a conspiracy - between Trump and Kim). He thought he could claim victory, wash his hands of the entire situation, and move right on to the next whopper. Because "who knows why Trump lies?"

Why don't we just agree to disagree and get on with our weekends?

Well... Either it was a lie or foolish wishful thinking. It wasn't true either way.

Seriously, have a good weekend!

Offline skeeter

Well... Either it was a lie or foolish wishful thinking. It wasn't true either way.

Seriously, have a good weekend!

Same to you. Its under 90 degrees around here (for a change) so maybe I can get some yard work done!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Unless he is a congenital liar, that many have attested to - so he lies for the sake of lying to get the accolades and reactions he seeks.

Did Trump tweet those words: "There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea" or not? 

Were they true, or not?

To assert that tweet 'strengthened our negotiating position' - is absurd on it's face now that Trump tells Pompeo to cancel.  We have been made fools of, again and Trump took the bait and made us look even more egregiously stupid.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DB

Same to you. Its under 90 degrees around here (for a change) so maybe I can get some yard work done!

97 here... And apparently that's cool... I'm new to the area...

Offline skeeter

97 here... And apparently that's cool... I'm new to the area...

Nein Danke!

Offline roamer_1

But for you: do you REALLY believe Trump thought he could get away with this "lie" and fool the world into believing Kim was nuke free?

All he needed out of the statement was a victory lap, which his adoring fans freely gave him, with a heaping side-order of accolades.

Offline skeeter

All he needed out of the statement was a victory lap, which his adoring fans freely gave him, with a heaping side-order of accolades.

Ridiculously simplistic. I'll pass.

Offline roamer_1

Look at how he does things... It is repeated over and over.

Offline DB

Often the simplest explanation is the correct one. Obviously not always. But the mind can come up with endless rationalizations of why something isn't what it looks like simply because it "must" be something more meaningful.

Offline Fantom

Well, pretty much what President Trump said he would do. Hold their feet to the fire.

What do you folks want...nuclear war? Obama appeasement... tell me.... what would you do any different? If you really wanted a solution.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Sadly his  fans have to suffer another case of "Premature Adulation"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DB

Well, pretty much what President Trump said he would do. Hold their feet to the fire.

What do you folks want...nuclear war? Obama appeasement... tell me.... what would you do any different? If you really wanted a solution.

What does that have to do with "There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea" someone said not long ago?

And are the only choices "nuclear war" or "Obama's appeasement"?

Perhaps there some other options.

And Trump not understating/overstating or lying about what's going on would be helpful. Trump made a lot of noise about taking care of NK when he first entered office. He made it sound like he had a plan and that NK would finally be resolved. I actually thought he might... Not so much anymore.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What do you folks want...nuclear war? Obama appeasement...

How can there be any of that when Trump stated plainly for the entire world that "There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea"?????

Did you forget? 

There is no longer a threat.

So how can there be nuclear war or appeasement of a nuclear madman?

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
How can there be any of that when Trump stated plainly for the entire world that "There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea"?????

Did you forget? 

Blah blah blah.  You are a broken GD record. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fantom

Did you forget? 

Silly boy, I do like your avatar... I had a son with that same underwear.... course he was five.

Now, instead of childish hate, maybe you could give us how you would do it. How would you stop missiles flying all over from NK? How would you stop NK from exploding nukes? How would you stop Hawaiians from doing the "Duck and cover"?

Oh yes... you did not stop that....President Trump did.

Now tell me @INVAR .   What would you do that is better?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:18:54 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Night Hides Not

There it is, the binary logic of an ardent Trump supporter. Similar to the phrase, "if you didn't vote for Trump, you obviously wanted Hillary in the White House."
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Silly boy, I do like your avatar... I had a son with that same underwear.... course he was five.

Your son goes to sleep in and walks around in nanban dos gusoku??  That's talent!  I end up overheated in it after about 45 minutes, but then iado forms and kenjustsu is indeed a great cardio workout.

Now, instead of childish hate, maybe you could give us how you would do it.

This subject has ZERO to do with whatever you or I might imagine doing.  Neither of us are president and neither of us are going be president.

This is about what Trump, YOUR PRESIDENT said to the entire world.

Here let me repost it for you in case you missed what he tweeted:

The pertinent portion is this:

"There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea".

Your president made that statement as a fact.

How you or I would stop a maniacal regime from using the nukes they have made is irrelevant.  I am making an issue of what your president said to the world.

Oh yes... you did not stop that....President Trump did.

Did he now?  Is this why he just said 'We are not making sufficient progress" and cancels Pompeo's trip to supposedly hammer out the disarmament deal you pretend he made?