Author Topic: Trump’s Self-Interest vs. the Public Interest  (Read 459 times)

Offline endicom

Trump’s Self-Interest vs. the Public Interest
« on: August 24, 2018, 05:03:19 pm »
National Review
Jonah Goldberg
Aug. 24, 2018

Rudy Giuliani wants to prevent the president from walking into a perjury trap, but that’s an argument about what’s best for Trump, not for the country.

The president of the United States will not talk to Special Counsel Robert Mueller because his lawyers want to prevent him from walking — or, rather, talking — into a perjury trap.

Rudy Giuliani, the president’s most visible lawyer, insists that no attorney worth his license would permit a client to testify under such circumstances. For many of Trump’s detractors, this is tantamount to a confession that the president would lie. Many even insist there is no such thing as a “perjury trap.”

That’s wrong. Former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy, my National Review colleague, notes that “for charging purposes, the witness who answers the questions does not get to decide whether they have been answered truthfully. That is up to the prosecutor who asks the questions.”

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/rudy-giuliani-fears-perjury-trap-if-donald-trump-testifies/

Offline endicom

Re: Trump’s Self-Interest vs. the Public Interest
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »

Jonah pastes together a whale of a tale saying nothing. That can't be what's best for National Review.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 05:06:40 pm »
Jonah pastes together a whale of a tale saying nothing. That can't be what's best for National Review.

@endicom

I think Jonah has succumbed to IBD!  (Inside the beltway disease)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 05:13:48 pm »

Runs in the family, on his mother's side.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.