Author Topic: Strained US-Mexico relations are about to get even worse — and it could destroy NAFTA for good  (Read 711 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Strained US-Mexico relations are about to get even worse — and it could destroy NAFTA for good

Reuters/Edgard Garrido

US-Mexico relations are at their most strained in recent memory — and Mexico's newly elected president could ratchet up the acrimony.
    Talks to renegotiate NAFTA are running into a wall as the US seeks to negotiate separately with both Mexico and Canada.
    "The strategy looks very fragile to me, and doomed to fail," says Monica de Bolle of the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

Donald Trump's aggressive approach to trade relations is slowly choking NAFTA, and the prospects for the North American Free Trade Agreement to survive are becoming increasingly grim.

Read more at: https://www.businessinsider.com/strained-us-mexico-relations-about-to-get-worse-under-new-president-2018-8

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Donald Trump's aggressive approach to trade relations is slowly choking NAFTA, and the prospects for the North American Free Trade Agreement to survive are becoming increasingly grim."

Sounds GOOD to me.
Keep it up, Mr. Trump!

Offline dfwgator

Offline kevindavis007

I like NAFTA.. I say pull out of NAFTA until the Unions are destroyed.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"Shannon O'Neil, senior fellow for Latin American studies at the Council on Foreign Relations, says "initial niceties" between the two leaders "paper over deep chasms in priorities, positions, and domestic politics" and that a "blow-up may not be far away."

So What?

A 'Blow Up' hasn't done China one bit of good. It's cost them plenty.

And unlike China Mexico doesn't have nuclear ICBMs, a 2.235 Million man Army, a ridiculous, Steam Powered new Aircraft Carrier, and so much more to threaten other nations with, Except for that stream of murderers and rapists they Do send over.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline libertybele

So, what's the downside?  I'm all for FAIR trade, but FREE trade hasn't been good for this country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

So, what's the downside?  I'm all for FAIR trade, but FREE trade hasn't been good for this country.

There is no such thing as "Free Trade" and there never will be.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
dfw wrote:
"There is no such thing as "Free Trade" and there never will be."

Absolutely correct, as the last 30 years have proven.

However, I think there -could be- something that more correctly be described as "even-handed trade".

I sense that is the goal that Mr. Trump and others in his administration are striving to achieve.