Author Topic: Military experts say Iran’s new fighter jet is actually a US plane from the 1970s  (Read 517 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Iran' claims this is a domestically designed and built "Kowsar" fighter jet. Military analysts argue the jet is in fact a Northrop two-seater F5-F.   Military experts claim that Iran’s new fighter jet is a U.S. plane from the 1970s 
4 Hours Ago | 00:46
Claims by Iran that is has produced a new domestically-produced fighter jet have been questioned by military experts.

On Tuesday, Iranian state television screened images of President Hassan Rouhani sitting in what was reported as a new "Kowsar" fighter aircraft.

Local media also reported that the plane was a fourth-generation fighter jet that had been designed and manufactured solely by Iranian military experts.

However, international aviation experts have been quick to cast doubt on the claim of pure Iranian technology and have suggested that the design is that of the U.S.-made F-5F jet, first built in the early 1970s. Tehran purchased F-5s from America in 1974, five years before the Iranian revolution.

Joseph Dempsey, a defence and military analysis research associate at the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), took to Twitter to illustrate the comparison.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/22/military-experts-say-irans-new-fighter-jet-is-actually-a-us-plane-from-the-1970s.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Suppressed

It's obviously an F-5F (that might have had a few parts replaced), or a reverse-engineered copy...either way, possibly with updated software.  But nothing to lose sleep over.  I can't imagine them creating high-quality engines.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn