Author Topic: Steven Tyler sends 'cease and desist' letter stop Trump from playing Aerosmith songs at rallies  (Read 1776 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Steven Tyler sends 'cease and desist' letter stop Trump from playing Aerosmith songs at rallies
by Mandy Mayfield
 | August 22, 2018 01:11 PM

Singer Steven Tyler is calling on President Trump to stop using Aerosmith's songs at his campaign rallies.

The Aerosmith frontman sent a "cease and desist" letter through his attorney, Dina LaPolt, to the White House, accusing Trump of willfully infringing by playing the song "Livin' on the Edge" at his rally on Tuesday in Charleston, W.Va., Variety reports.

In the letter, LaPolt wrote that Aerosmith fans have been under the false assumption that Tyler supports Trump's presidency.

"Mr. Trump is creating the false impression that our client has given his consent for the use of his music, and even that he endorses the presidency of Mr. Trump," the letter says.

This isn't the first time Trump has come under fire for using one of Aerosmith's songs. In 2015, the song "Dream On" was played at a Trump rally. Tyler's lawyer sent a letter to the then-presidential candidate demanding he stop using the band's songs.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/steven-tyler-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-stop-trump-from-playing-aerosmith-songs-at-rallies
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

I'd be happy if they quit playing Aerosmith music anywhere.

Offline skeeter

Another bid by an aging artist to stay relevant. This specific issue has been settled many times over - Tyler knows this.

Offline musiclady

I remember when the obscure, not famous group "Orleans" demanded that President Bush stop playing "Still the One" at his 2004 reelection campaign rallies.

And I remember thinking......... more people heard that song at those rallies than had ever heard it before.

Some people are just dumb.  *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

I remember when the obscure, not famous group "Orleans" demanded that President Bush stop playing "Still the One" at his 2004 reelection campaign rallies.

And I remember thinking......... more people heard that song at those rallies than had ever heard it before.

Maybe between Skittles and Nike Steven thinks Dream On already gets enough airplay.

Seriously Heart and Springsteen, among many others, have in the past had their lawyers send official cease and desist letters to GOP candidates as well. Its always been deemed to be public domain stuff - they're obviously posing.

Offline musiclady

Maybe between Skittles and Nike Steven thinks Dream On already gets enough airplay.

Seriously Heart and Springsteen, among many others, have in the past had their lawyers send official cease and desist letters to GOP candidates as well. Its always been deemed to be public domain stuff - they're obviously posing.

Yeah.......... but posing for what?

Who cares about any of these has-beens other than the Super Bowl half time show committee?

You'd think they'd like having their songs played for a vast audience.

Like I said.......... they're dumb.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
These musicians keep pretending they keep the rights to control their music when they sell out.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Most times the candidate capitulates.  Why?  I say Trump should go on using puss faces song.  What is Tyler gonna do...sue trump.  Well the line forms in the rear Stevie boy.  Get in line.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

Who cares about any of these has-beens other than the Super Bowl half time show committee?

To paraphrase Alice Cooper -  contrary to what they believe, they don't know more than anyone else. Thats why they're rock n' rollers.

Offline mountaineer

These musicians keep pretending they keep the rights to control their music when they sell out.
Exactly. If the campaign has paid to play the music, the "artist" has no say anymore.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

To paraphrase Alice Cooper -  contrary to what they believe, they don't know more than anyone else. Thats why they're rock n' rollers.

Actually, they clearly know less than everyone else.  happy77

Offline mirraflake

Aerosmith are not has beens. Their concerts are all sold out for the oast 10 years and they fill large stadiums.  They are on their final tour this year and retiring. They are one of the most popular groups on the road and tickets are like gold

@musiclady

@skeeter
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:14:56 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Aerosmith is not has beens. Their concerts are all sold out for the oast 10 years and they fill large stadiums.  They are on their final tour this year and retiring. They are oneof the most popular groups on the road.

@musiclady

@skeeter

There one fan on TBR weighs in. 

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Most musicians no longer own the rights to their songs. They sell the rights out to agents and brokers who put them on the open market. After that it's over. They don't own it or have rights to it anymore. It is public domain. Trump is dealing with the owner not with the band. The owner is one to get the cease letter, not Trump. But I agree that they did this just so all the Lefty freaks out there would know where they stand and not as a serious legal effort.

They can't send a legal cease to Miller Corp. telling them to stop using the song in their commercials because I'm a Budweiser Guy! That's crazy talk.

If I sell a car and then see it parked at a Target Store, I cannot accost the driver and tell them that they can't use my car to go to Target because I don't support Target. They can only go to Walmart dammit, says I. LOL
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline NavyCanDo

And HEART doing the same stopping Baracuda from being plade at Sarah Palin rallies.   They own these songs and it is their right, but yea it sucks that entertainers play this game.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Silver Pines

Most times the candidate capitulates.  Why?  I say Trump should go on using puss faces song.  What is Tyler gonna do...sue trump.  Well the line forms in the rear Stevie boy.  Get in line.

@Ghost Bear

Agreed.  Republican candidates are always stuck playing country music.  Nothing against it, but it would be nice to branch out.

Silver Pines

Don't y'all be hating on Aerosmith!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
FTR: For the record, Joe Perry endorsed John McCain in 2008, I thought Perry-Tyler or the whole band did, the exact facts aren't that important, just something like this and an article to back it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_John_McCain_presidential_campaign_endorsements

Maybe it was just Joe Perry. Guitarist, Aerosmith. Even then, I doubt if McCain-Palin were playing Aerosmith songs.

Offline skeeter

FTR: For the record, Joe Perry endorsed John McCain in 2008, I thought Perry-Tyler or the whole band did, the exact facts aren't that important, just something like this and an article to back it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_John_McCain_presidential_campaign_endorsements

Maybe it was just Joe Perry. Guitarist, Aerosmith. Even then, I doubt if McCain-Palin were playing Aerosmith songs.

I’ve heard Perry is conservative, at least by music industry standards.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
@Ghost Bear

Agreed.  Republican candidates are always stuck playing country music.  Nothing against it, but it would be nice to branch out.

Well, personally I like country music. But then, I'm not the person you meant to respond to, that was @The Ghost .   happy77
Let it burn.

Offline Wingnut

Don't y'all be hating on Aerosmith!

Tyler's face looks like a fruit roll up with a goatee.

Offline roamer_1

No, it is not public domain. But public venues pay for a service which makes just about any song in the service's database legal to play - the service is who pays the royalty, however that works... So Tyler has no standing or authority on which to base a suit, unless it is found that the music was bandited.

Offline The_Reader_David

Only meaningful if Tyler retained the rights.  Most likely it's the recording company that holds the rights (as a condition for Aerosmith getting their songs pressed onto vinyl bank in the day) and if Trump or his political organization paid the fee the company or the RIAA on the company's behalf agreed to for a public performance of the songs, they have the right to play the song, whether Tyler likes it or not.

If artists want to retain control of their works, rather than publishers holding the rights, they need to militate for Congress to reform copyright law to follow the plain meaning of the Constitution, which allows Congress to grant exclusive rights to "authors and inventors", not to grant rights that can be alienated form the actual creator of the work and lodged with publishers.  The whole point of the British laws the Founders had in mind when they wrote that, which they promptly passed American versions of during the First Congress under the Constitution, was authors, not publishers, inventors, not the well-connected.  The Law of Queen Anne (copyrights) and the Statute on Monopolies of 1624 (patents) abolished old practices redolent of cronyism and influence peddling in which all sorts of people could be granted exclusive rights to produce or sell things, and limited it to authors and inventors.

And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline musiclady

Aerosmith are not has beens. Their concerts are all sold out for the oast 10 years and they fill large stadiums.  They are on their final tour this year and retiring. They are one of the most popular groups on the road and tickets are like gold

@musiclady

@skeeter

Your post brings up an interesting question.....

Is it "Aerosmith is" or "Aerosmith are".............. and if it is is, then is it a has been, or are they has beens?    :cool:

Offline roamer_1

Your post brings up an interesting question.....

Is it "Aerosmith is" or "Aerosmith are".............. and if it is is, then is it a has been, or are they has beens?    :cool:

My mental wheels are in a state of high torque and limited traction.
I am going to have to go with 'is' and 'they.
But no matter what you do...
It ain't right.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:26:11 am by roamer_1 »