Author Topic: Schumer: Trump better not talk about pardons, Cohen, Manafort at West Virginia rally  (Read 1949 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer: Trump better not talk about pardons, Cohen, Manafort at West Virginia rally
By Jordain Carney - 08/21/18 06:56 PM EDT

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) warned President Trump on Tuesday that he should not discuss Michael Cohen or Paul Manafort during a campaign stop in West Virginia later that day.

“He better not talk about pardons or Michael Cohen or Paul Manafort tonight or any time in the future,” Schumer told reporters at the start of a press conference on his meeting with Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

The campaign rally in West Virginia will come hours after Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer, pleaded guilty to charges of bank fraud, tax fraud and campaign finance law violations. Manafort, Trump’s former campaign manager, was found guilty by a jury on Tuesday of eight counts of bank and tax fraud.

Schumer declined to further discuss Cohen's plea or the verdicts, noting he had been in a meeting with Kavanaugh and wasn’t fully briefed on both events.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/402936-schumer-trump-better-not-talk-about-pardons-cohen-manafort-at-west-virginia
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Or what?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Or what?

Chuckie,  your butt buddy Mark Warner already said the same thing.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Or what?

@Right_in_Virginia

Or he will stamp his little feets and hold his breath until he turns blue.

I have long maintained that Chuckie is as queer as a 3 dollar bill.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Frank Cannon

F U Chuckle.

Offline skeeter

Don't talk about it.

Just do it. In January.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Don't talk about it.

Just do it. In January.

@skeeter

Chuckie represents a Jewish district,and he will remain in office until he dies or decides to quit. Whichever comes first.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Yeah, I don't get this.  I hate Chuck Schumer.  Hate, that's a strong word I don't use very often.  But the President doesn't hate Chuck.  Chuck has been useful to the Trump family to the tune of thousands donated to his political career.  So, as long as he is a useful idiot he's good Chuck.

So I want to touch on one of Trumps campaign promises.  To drain the swamp.  I am sorry but tax evasion and bank fraud are serious offenses.  If private citizens do as Manafort did they would do serious prison time.  The law is the law.  Either we have law or we are a lawless nation.

No pardon for the swamp.  I find tax evasion swamp.  Down in the mud dirty and any politician who doesn't "pay their bills" as Trump was talking about tonight is the swamp.  The whole swamp needs to go.   

I don't know why President Trump finds the justice system sad.  A jury which is the way our government runs convicted Manafort of his crimes.  It appears they were fair because originally there were 18 counts.  He was only convicted of 8. 

Or should there be separate law for politicians and friends of politicians and Presidents?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:32:17 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

And let me tell you I was vocal also when Charles Rangel was caught in tax evasion.  He should have gone to jail also.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/sam-dealey/2008/11/25/charles-rangel-looks-like-a-tax-cheat

Swamp, swamp, swamp.  How can we expect the American people to pay their taxes when all these weasels with big money don't?

Or maybe the swamp is OK as long as it is Republican swamp.  What kind of swamp was President Trump talking about?

I guess over the years lots of politicians have used the slogan. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2016/10/26/why_do_trump_and_his_supports_keep_talking_about_draining_the_swamp.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:16:37 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Or what?

Or Schumer might say bad things about him.  How scary is that?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Don't talk about it.

Just do it. In January.

I agree.  Remember all of Clinton's last minute pardons to real criminals?

Offline GrouchoTex

Schumer might throw a shoe.....

Offline Chosen Daughter

I agree.  Remember all of Clinton's last minute pardons to real criminals?

They are not real criminals?  I am not going to pay my taxes then.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
They are not real criminals?  I am not going to pay my taxes then.

Yes you are.  We'd need to build another Gitmo or maybe a colony on Mars for all the people who have broken the sort of laws they did.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Yes you are.  We'd need to build another Gitmo or maybe a colony on Mars for all the people who have broken the sort of laws they did.

Huh??????????????

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Huh??????????????

Sleep on it.  Sometimes we understand things better after a good night's sleep.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Tuesday was a lucky day for Imran Awan, the former IT administrator for Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla. A federal judge sentenced him to three months of supervised release and no fine for one count of bank fraud – sparing him any jail time.

Awan could have faced much more serious charges and a long prison sentence if he had been tried and convicted on accusations that he ran a spy ring inside Congress and stole congressional computer equipment.   

Yet stunningly, Awan was not charged with those crimes. Instead, federal prosecutors ignored their own compelling evidence implicating him in the spy ring and exonerated him.

This is what happens when the establishment and the mainstream media collude to cover up a Democratic scandal.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Sleep on it.  Sometimes we understand things better after a good night's sleep.

Certain crimes have higher rates of arrest, prosecution, and conviction than others. For instance, a quick glance at crime statistics published by the Los Angeles Police Department will show you that in 2015, more than 9,600 people were arrested for aggravated assault, whereas just over 300 people were arrested for homicide. Though less common than offenses like drug possession or car theft, “white collar” (financial) crimes, such as tax evasion and other tax crimes, are associated with high rates of conviction and sentencing amongst defendants. Various statistical reports attest to these facts, with one of the more recent sources being the 2016 “Quick Facts” on tax fraud offenses released by the United States Sentencing Commission (USSC). This data creates a clearer profile of who commits tax crimes, how those crimes impact the economy, and perhaps most importantly, how convicted offenders are punished.

What Percentage of Tax Offenders Were Sentenced to Prison in 2016?

The following statistical information is sourced directly from the USSC, which drew upon data from 2012 to 2016 to compile a “Quick Facts” report on tax fraud offenses for 2016. You can view the brief report in its entirety by clicking here. Otherwise, our tax attorneys have excerpted some of the report’s more salient (and surprising) points below. All the following statistics pertain to the 2016 fiscal year, except where otherwise noted.

Who most frequently commits tax crimes, and where?
•A total of 584 individuals were convicted of tax fraud, accounting for 1% of the defendants sentenced under USSC guidelines.
•Statistically speaking, the “typical” tax offender is a white (49%) male (68.8%) U.S. citizen (94%), at an average age of 50 upon sentencing.
•Four out of five tax offenders have no prior criminal history.
•Certain jurisdictions report higher numbers of tax crimes than others, with two of the top five located here in California. Judicial districts with the highest number of tax offenders were: •Northern District of Illinois (32 offenders)
•Eastern District of New York (29)
•Eastern District of California (28)
•Central District of California (23)
•Eastern District of Pennsylvania (22)

(For reference for California taxpayers, the Central District of California, Southern Division, has jurisdiction over tax crime cases in Orange County. The Western Division has jurisdiction over Los Angeles County, among others.)

How is the U.S. economy impacted by these crimes?
•The median loss resulting from the offenses was calculated to be $218,035.
•Astoundingly, more than 90% of the offenses “involved tax losses of $1.5 million or less.” (While “less” is not defined, it is notable that, by comparison, only 25.9% of the offenses caused losses below $100,000.)

What percentage of convicted offenders received enhanced penalties, and why?
•In general, penalty enhancements were more common than penalty reductions. For example, penalties were increased for offenders who: •Led or supervised the offense (6.3% of offenders).
•Obstructed justice, or otherwise impeded the investigation or case (5.3%).
•Used “sophisticated means” to hide or carry out the offense (11%).
•Used a special skill, or “abus[ed] a public position of trust” (4.1%).

•By comparison, only 3.9% of offenders received sentence reductions, which were permitted in cases where the defendant was considered “a minor or minimal participant in the offense.”

How were convicted tax offenders sentenced?
•The majority of those sentenced – a total of 63.9% – received prison sentences. •Though alternate
2016 Statistics on Tax Crime Convictions and Prison Sentencing

Published by ? David Klasing   at ? December 5, 2017

sentences were not specified in the report, IRS crime statistics, which are linked below for further reading, note that the term “sentence” may, in place of or addition to incarceration in federal prison, include “confinement to… [a] halfway house, home detention, or some combination thereof.” In other words, convicted offenders may be placed under house arrest or be ordered to live in specific environments, even if they are not necessarily incarcerated in prison.

•The average length of a prison sentence for tax fraud was 15 months, or one year and three months. This represents an overall decrease during the period from 2012 to 2016, during which the average sentence decreased by 90 days, shortening from 18 to 15 months...........

https://klasing-associates.com/2016-statistics-tax-crime-convictions-prison-sentencing/

Offline Chosen Daughter

Tuesday was a lucky day for Imran Awan, the former IT administrator for Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla. A federal judge sentenced him to three months of supervised release and no fine for one count of bank fraud – sparing him any jail time.

Awan could have faced much more serious charges and a long prison sentence if he had been tried and convicted on accusations that he ran a spy ring inside Congress and stole congressional computer equipment.   

Yet stunningly, Awan was not charged with those crimes. Instead, federal prosecutors ignored their own compelling evidence implicating him in the spy ring and exonerated him.

This is what happens when the establishment and the mainstream media collude to cover up a Democratic scandal.

This is wrong too, but where do we separate ourselves from wrong?  Or is it what is good for the goose is good for the gander?  Nice message about swamp draining.

Its really hard to call out liberal lawbreakers when we accept the same in our party.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:02:50 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Alabama[edit]
State Rrepresentative Micky Hammon (R) was convicted of fraud (2017).[1]
State Representative Oliver Robinson (D) was convicted of bribery. (2017)[2]
Governor of Alabama Robert J. Bentley (R) resigned after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor charges: failing to file a major contribution report, in violation of Code of Alabama § 17-5-8.1(c); and knowingly converting campaign contributions to personal use, in violation of Code of Alabama § 36-25-6." (2017)[3]
Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives Mike Hubbard (R) was convicted on 12 of 23 felony charges. (2016)[4]
State Representative Greg Wren (R) pleaded guilty to an ethics violation. He resigned from the Alabama Legislature as a condition of his plea deal and was given a 12-month suspended sentence and ordered to pay $24,000. (2014)[5]
State Representative Terry Spicer (D) pleaded guilty to accepting more than $3,000 per month in bribes. (2011)[6]
State Representative James Thomas (D) convicted of sexual assault. (2010)[7]

Arizona[edit]
State Senator Frank Antenori (R) convicted of trespassing. (2016)[8]
State Representative Ceci Velasquez (D) was convicted of theft. (2016)[9]
State Representative Richard Miranda (D) pleaded guilty to wire fraud and tax evasion.[10] (2012)
State Representative Ben Arredondo (D) was charged with bribery, fraud and extortion. He was sentenced to 18 months of house arrest. (2012)[11][12]
State Senator Scott Bundgaard (R) agreed to participate in domestic violence classes for six months after assaulting his girlfriend. (2011)[13]

Local[edit]

Arkansas[edit]
State Representative Jon Wood (R) convicted of bribery. (2018)[14]
State Representative Eddie Cooper (D) convicted of embezzlement. (2018)[15]
State Representative Micah Neal (R) was convicted of bribery. (2017)[16][17]
State Representative Steven B. Jones (D) convicted of bribery. (2015)[18]
State Senator Paul Bookout (D) pleaded guilty to mail fraud. (2014)[19]
State Treasurer Martha Shoffner (D) convicted on the charges of extortion and bribery and sentenced to 30 months. (2014)[20]
State Representative Hudson Hallum (D) pleaded guilty to voter bribing. (2012)[21]

California[edit]
State Senator Ron Calderon (D) brother of Tom was convicted of money laundering. (2016)[22]
State Assemblyman Tom Calderon (D) brother of Ron was convicted of money laundering. (2016)[23]
State Senator Leland Yee (D) charged with bribery, public corruption and gun trafficking. (2014)[24][25]
State Senator Roderick Wright (D) was convicted of eight counts of perjury and voter fraud. He was sentenced to 90 days and barred him from ever holding public office again and will be required to perform 1,500 hours of community service and three years' probation under the terms of his conviction. (2014)[26]
State Assemblywoman Mary Hayashi (D) was charged with felony grand theft after being caught on video surveillance allegedly shoplifting $2,445 worth of merchandise from San Francisco's Neiman Marcus store.[27][28] She was sentenced to $180 fine and three years' probation and was ordered to stay more than 50 feet from the store. (2011)

Local[edit]
Mayor of San Diego Bob Filner (D) given three months of house arrest, three years' probation, and partial loss of his mayoral pension after pleading guilty to state charges of false imprisonment and battery. (2013)[29]

Colorado[edit]
State Representative Timothy J. Leonard (R) was found guilty of Contempt of Court and sentenced to 14 days in jail. (2016)[30][31]
State Senator Steve King (R) pleaded guilty to embezzlement of public property and misdemeanor first-degree official misconduct. Sentenced to serve two years' probation and complete 80 hours of useful public service. (2015)[32][33][34]
State Representative Douglas Bruce (R), was convicted on four counts of felony criminal activity including, money laundering, attempted improper influence of a public official, and tax fraud. He was sentenced on February 13, 2012, to a total of 180 days in jail, $49,000 in fines, and six months of probation which included extensive disclosure requirements. (2011)[35][36]
Secretary of State Scott Gessler (R) was found guilty of violating Colorado's ethics laws by using state money to attend a Republican event in Florida (2012)[37]

Connecticut[edit]
State Representative Victor Cuevas (D) convicted of bank fraud. (2016)[38]
State Senator Ernie Newton (D) was sentenced to six months in prison for three counts of illegal practices in campaign financing.[39] Newton had also been sentenced to four years for federal charges of accepting a $5,000 bribe, evading taxes and pilfering campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses. (2015)[40]
State Representative Christina Ayala (D) convicted of election fraud. (2014)[41]
State Senator Thomas Gaffey (D) convicted of larceny. (2011)[42]

Local[edit]
Mayor of Hartford, Connecticut Eddie Perez (D), was sentenced to eight years, suspended after three years, with three years in prison, to be followed by three years of probation for corruption. (2010)[43]

Florida[edit]
State Representative Daisy Baez (D) convicted of perjury. (2017)[44]
State Representative Erik Fresen (R) convicted of tax evasion. (2017)[45]
State Representative Dwayne L. Taylor (D) convicted of fraud. (2017)[46]
State Senator M. Mandy Dawson (D) convicted of fraud. (2011)[47]

Georgia[edit]
State Representative Tyrone Brooks (D) convicted of tax fraud. (2015)[48]

Local[edit]

Hawaii[edit]
State Senator Rod Tam (D) convicted of theft. (2011)[49]

Idaho[edit]
State Senator John McGee (R) pleaded guilty to probation violation and a disturbing the peace charge related to sexual harassment that had occurred at the Idaho State Capital Building and was jailed for 44 days. (2012) He had previously been arrested for grand theft auto and driving under the influence.[50] McGee pleaded guilty to DUI and was sentenced to 180 days, serving 5 in jail, plus community service, 175 days' probation, plus fines and restitution. (2011)[51]

Illinois[edit]
State Representative Keith Farnham (D) convicted of distributing child pornography. (2014)[52]
State Representative Derrick Smith (D) was arrested and convicted of accepting a $7,000 bribe. (2014)[53]
State Representative Constance A. Howard (D) convicted of mail fraud. (2013)[54][55]
State Representative Ron Stephens (R) was found guilty of repeated drug abuse and DUI (2010)[56][57]

Local[edit]
Alderman of Chicago William Beavers (D) convicted of tax fraud. (2013)[58]
Alderman of Chicago Sandi Jackson (D) pleaded guilty to one count of filing false tax returns. (2013)[59]
Comptroller and Treasurer of Dixon, Rita Crundwell (D)[60] was sentenced to 19 years and 7 months in prison for fraud, having embezzled $53 million dollars. (2013)[61]
Alderman of Chicago Isaac Carothers (D) convicted of corruption. (2010)[62]

Indiana[edit]
Secretary of State Charlie White (R) was convicted on 6 of 7 felony charges including perjury, theft and voter fraud. (2012)[63]

Local[edit]
Mayor of East Chicago George Pabey (D) was convicted by a federal court jury on September 24, 2010, of conspiracy and theft of government funds. (2010)[64]

Iowa[edit]
State Senator Kent Sorenson (R) pleaded guilty to one count of falsely reporting expenditures and one count of obstruction of justice. (2013)[65]

Kansas[edit]
State Representative Trent K. LeDoux (R) pleaded guilty to one count of bank fraud. He was sentenced Monday to 18 months in federal prison for defrauding Farmers and Merchants Bank of Colby, Kan., of more than $460,000. (2014)[66]

Local[edit]

Kentucky[edit]
State Representative Keith Hall (D) was convicted of bribery and sentenced to 7 years in prison. (2016)[67]
State Representative Ben Waide (R) convicted of campaign violations. (2016)[68]
Commissioner of Agriculture Richie Farmer (R) was convicted of corruption and sentenced to 27 months in prison. (2014)[69]

Louisiana[edit]
State Representative Girod Jackson, III (D) convicted of tax evasion. (2013)[70]

Local[edit]
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin (D) was found guilty on 20 counts of bribery and was sentenced to ten years in federal prison. (2014)[71]
Mayor of Mandeville Eddie Price III (R) was sentenced to 60 months on charges of income tax evasion and corruption. (2010)[72]

Maine[edit]
State Representative David R. Burns (R) pleaded guilty to misdemeanor forgery and theft charges and was sentenced to 6 months. (2012)[73][74]
State Representative Frederick Wintle (R), pleaded guilty to a concealed weapons charge (2011).[75][76][77][78]

Maryland[edit]
State Senator Nathaniel T. Oaks (D) was convicted of corruption. (2018)[79]
State Delegate Tiffany Alston (D) was convicted of embezzlement. (2013)[80]

Local[edit]
Anne Arundel County Executive John R. Leopold (R) convicted of misconduct in office. (2013)[81]
Prince George's County Executive Jack B. Johnson (D) pleaded guilty to extortion and, witness and evidence tampering.[82] He was sentenced to seven years and three months in Butner federal prison in North Carolina. He was also fined $100,000. (2011)[83] (2011)
Prince George's County Councillor Leslie Johnson (D), was sentenced to one year and one day in prison for political corruption. (2011)[84]
Mayor of Baltimore Sheila Dixon (D) was convicted of fraudulent misappropriation and was sentenced to four years of probation. (2010)[84]

Massachusetts[edit]
State Representative Carlos Henriquez (D) was convicted of two counts assault and battery charges and sentenced to 2.5 years, with six months to be served in the Middlesex County House of Correction and Jail in Billerica, Massachusetts and the remaining two years to be spent on probation.[85] (2014)
State Representative Stephen Stat Smith (D) pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of deprivation of rights under color of law for his role in a voter fraud scheme.[86] (2012)
Speaker of the House Salvatore DiMasi (D) was found guilty of using his position to secure multimillion-dollar state contracts for Cognos, a business intelligence software company, in exchange for kickbacks.[87] (2011)
State Senator Anthony D. Galluccio (D) was given one year in prison after failing a sobriety test and violating his probation from a previous hit and run accident. (2010)[88]

Local[edit]
Boston Councillor Chuck Turner (Green Party) was expelled from the Boston City Council on December 1, 2010, following his conviction on federal bribery charges. (2010)[89]

Michigan[edit]
State Senator Bert Johnson (D) was convicted of fraud. (2018)[90]
State Representative Brian Banks (D) was convicted of fraud for filing false financial statements (2017)[91]
State Senator Virgil Smith, Jr. (D) was convicted of assault and was sentenced to 10 months in jail, five years of probation and not be allowed to hold public office. (2015)[92]
Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court Diane Hathaway (D) was sentenced to 366 days in Prison for criminal mortgage fraud. (2013)[93]

Local[edit]
Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III (D) convicted of misconduct. (2016)[94]
Mayor of Detroit Kwame Kilpatrick (D) was sentenced to 18 months to 5 years in prison for violating his probation in 2010. In 2013 he was sentenced to 28 years in prison for federal charges including racketeering and extortion. (2013)[95]
Detroit City Council member Monica Conyers (D) pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit bribery[96] and served just over 27 months at the Alderson Federal Prison Camp in West Virginia. (2010)[97]......................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_state_and_local_politicians_convicted_of_crimes

I guess we could just carry on with the criminals that run the country.