Author Topic: GOP Rep. Duncan Hunter, wife indicted for allegedly misusing campaign funds  (Read 3119 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Rep. Duncan Hunter, wife indicted for allegedly misusing campaign funds
By Juliegrace Brufke - 08/21/18 06:27 PM EDT

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) and his wife, Margaret, were indicted Tuesday after being charged with misusing at least $250,000 in campaign funds for personal expenses, the Department of Justice announced.

The California Republican used the funds to purchase trips to Italy and Hawaii, pay for his family's dental work, his children's tuition and international travel for nearly a dozen relatives, according to the DOJ. Thousands were also spent on "fast food, movie tickets, golf outings, video games, coffee, groceries, home utilities, and expensive meals."

Hunter allegedly falsified campaign records filed to the Federal Election Commission (FEC) to conceal the purchases by mischaracterizing the expenses as "'campaign travel,' 'dinner with volunteers/contributors,' 'toy drives,' 'teacher/parent and supporter events,' 'gift cards' for charitable donations, and 'gift basket items,' among other false descriptions,'" the DOJ said.

The allegations against the couple were detailed in a 48-page indictment returned by a federal grand jury in California.

The GOP lawmaker and his wife are scheduled to be arraigned on the indictment Thursday morning in court in southern California, according to the Justice Department.

“The indictment alleges that Congressman Hunter and his wife repeatedly dipped into campaign coffers as if they were personal bank accounts, and falsified FEC campaign finance reports to cover their tracks,”  U.S. Attorney Adam Braverman said in a statement.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/402930-gop-rep-duncan-hunter-wife-indicted-for-allegedly-misusing-campaign-funds
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Dumbass. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I suspect most of us could be indicted for something tomorrow, if someone were to want to do that. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I suspect most of us could be indicted for something tomorrow, if someone were to want to do that.

Logical. If you were maintaining your lifestyle off of other peoples money.

Offline endicom

They can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Logical. If you were maintaining your lifestyle off of other peoples money.

As you know, because you're a smart guy, I'm talking about too many laws and selective prosecution. 

Offline roamer_1

I don't believe it. I will wait to hear the other side of this story.

Offline Frank Cannon

As you know, because you're a smart guy, I'm talking about too many laws and selective prosecution.

Yeah but this isn't some bullshit mistake. The guy was taking luxury vacations with money that is clearly not for that purpose. If he wanted to live a high life like this he should have gotten a GD real job.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yeah but this isn't some bullshit mistake. The guy was taking luxury vacations with money that is clearly not for that purpose. If he wanted to live a high life like this he should have gotten a GD real job.

We'll see.

Offline roamer_1

Online Wingnut

I don't believe it. I will wait to hear the other side of this story.

He's a politician.  They look at other peoples money as if it their own.  They are worse than whores.  At least with strumpets you generally pay for services rendered before you get rolled.

Offline roamer_1

He's a politician.  They look at other peoples money as if it their own.  They are worse than whores.  At least with strumpets you generally pay for services rendered before you get rolled.

He's also a combat marine with two tours in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan.
That don't rub off easy. He's also a hard core, rock ribbed Conservative, just like his daddy... That don't rub off either.

You can indict a ham sandwich. He is a man of honor, and until I see proof, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Online Wingnut

I've seen this before.  It was probably the wife living large.

Offline roamer_1

I've seen this before.  It was probably the wife living large.

The wife who campaigned for him because he was recalled to Afghanistan?

Online Wingnut

The wife who campaigned for him because he was recalled to Afghanistan?

Hey. It's always the wife.   

Offline GrouchoTex

Interesting to find out, Duncan Hunter and Chris Collins were the first 2 congressman to endorse Trump. Both were indicted today.

It think what we are witnessing now is a race between the Trump team verses the Clinton/Obama team to see who can shut down more on one side than the other one, to keep certain facts from coming out.

I think we are only at the beginning of this.

Offline corbe

That is scary @GrouchoTex 44 years ago this month 'they' hounded Nixon out of office.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Duncan, you should have been a Democrat. This wouldn't even have been investigated.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Not sure these charges are true, but this guy used to be a Freeper favorite.  If true, it just goes to show that even conservatives can bend to temptation. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Yep!  The allegations have been made  so Lets hang the  sorry bastard!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Yep!  The allegations have been made  so Lets hang the  sorry bastard!

But not Hillary!

Offline GrouchoTex

That is scary @GrouchoTex 44 years ago this month 'they' hounded Nixon out of office.

So I question if this is the 1st salvo fired by the left to prove they mean business?
Should the Trump team start indicting and laying their cards on the table?
Do they have enough on each other and their friends that they mutually self-destruct?
Is there one side more, just, righteous, than the other?
We would like to think it is our side, of course, against the Clinton/Obama side.
When the smoke clears, will it matter, will anyone be clean?
What if, as many say, they are all terrible actors in a bad play, a play, unfortunately, that ultimately effects us all?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So I question if this is the 1st salvo fired by the left to prove they mean business?
Should the Trump team start indicting and laying their cards on the table?
Do they have enough on each other and their friends that they mutually self-destruct?
Is there one side more, just, righteous, than the other?
We would like to think it is our side, of course, against the Clinton/Obama side.
When the smoke clears, will it matter, will anyone be clean?
What if, as many say, they are all terrible actors in a bad play, a play, unfortunately, that ultimately effects us all?

Well, it's for all the marbles and the GOP has already established that the Left are untouchable as far as they are concerned... so  this is what happens when we begin to go the way of Rome, only at trillions of dollars faster.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline GrouchoTex

Well, it's for all the marbles and the GOP has already established that the Left are untouchable as far as they are concerned... so  this is what happens when we begin to go the way of Rome, only at trillions of dollars faster.

@INVAR, you crossed my mind as I was writing this, and I do mean this as a compliment, sincerely.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@INVAR, you crossed my mind as I was writing this, and I do mean this as a compliment, sincerely.

Why thank you.

You mused about the first salvo.... and this has possibly more to do with ensuring the Midterms go Democrat than a direct challenge to Trump.

Mueller and the Manafort convictions today will go a long way towards speeding that track of the velvet coup along on it's own.

How do we know all of DC has not been politically weaponized by the Clintons and Obama and the Marxists?  Taking it all down via setting public examples to affect political outcomes is what we are witnessing I think.  I mean it baffled me why it was, with all the evidence we little people discovered about everyone from Lois Lerner to Benghazi to the E-mail server, that the Republicans REFUSED to push those issues beyond empty kabuki theater hearings without so much as a slap on the wrist for any of them.

Maybe they were told point-blank what the end game was and given a choice: be part of the New Order, or get wiped out by it.  All of this maybe the very nasty examples they are showcasing to everyone.

And a climate of fear and/or retribution ensues - and we enter territory NONE of us are mentally prepared to deal with.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775