Author Topic: Manafort jury asks what happens if they can't come to conclusion on a single count  (Read 743 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Manafort jury asks what happens if they can't come to conclusion on a single count
By Morgan Chalfant and Lydia Wheeler - 08/21/18 11:41 AM EDT

The jury in the criminal trial against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort on Tuesday sent a note to the judge asking what they should do if they can't come to a consensus on a single count.

The note suggests that the jury is having difficulty coming to a conclusion on at least one of the 18 counts facing Manafort, though it does not mean they have not come to conclusions on other counts.

Federal District Judge T.S. Ellis III reconvened the court shortly before 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, saying that the jury had sent the note.

The jurors asked what they should do “if we can’t come to a consensus on a single count,” Ellis said.

They also asked what that means for their final verdict, and said they would need a new verdict sheet.

The jury is in their fourth day of deliberations in the trial, the first test in court for special counsel Robert Mueller's team of prosecutors.

The note left people watching the court case closely guessing at its meaning.

While it could mean that the jury has reached a verdict on 17 of the 18 counts facing Manafort, it could also mean they have failed to reach a verdict on any of the counts. 

DEVELOPING

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/402837-manafort-jury-asks-what-happens-if-they-cant-come-to-conclusion-on-a-count
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Mueller has so overplayed his hand that I really hope this all blows up in his face.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. This ain't good for Stupid Bobby and his fraud of a case.

Offline jpsb

Miss Trial, Manafort walks.

Offline jpsb

Mueller has so overplayed his hand that I really hope this all blows up in his face.

:xedfingers:

Offline skeeter

Miss Trial, Manafort walks.

If Manafort walks on all counts I wonder if he's got a case for malicious prosecution.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
A lot like the Cosby case - hung jury and angry public!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline kidd

If he was guilty on 17 counts, and undecided on one count, I would guess that a jury would think  "17 of 18 guilty. He's going to jail for the rest of his life anyway. ok we'll say not guilty on that last one so we can finish"

If he was not guilty on 17 counts, then that 18th count becomes more important. It becomes a matter of jail or no jail.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If he was guilty on 17 counts, and undecided on one count, I would guess that a jury would think  "17 of 18 guilty. He's going to jail for the rest of his life anyway. ok we'll say not guilty on that last one so we can finish"

If he was not guilty on 17 counts, then that 18th count becomes more important. It becomes a matter of jail or no jail.

I haven't seen the note so I can only speculate, but I think it is entirely possible that the jury cannot come to a consensus on ANY of the 18 counts.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm sensing a big not guilty on all the major counts.  Polly a guilty on a lesser bs charge that mueller piled on for good measure because he is an bleephole of the highest order...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:37:14 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.