Author Topic: Ted Cruz - Madam's List?  (Read 19545 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Ted Cruz - Madam's List?
« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2018, 01:27:04 am »
Thinking seriously about a full service backup generator.  In the last 15 years, I can think of at least 12-15 times we'd need it.  Hurricanes, ice storms, brown outs.   Add the fact,  don't think the NG supply ever went down...  even during Rita.

@catfish1957
That surely ain't a bad idea, though an expensive one...
Mine is a run of the mill construction site generator that I bought for a couple hundred bucks... I went through it, and replaced the motor... And I doubt I have 500 bucks in it now... If the power goes out, I have a connection through the wall - Plug the jenny into that and run extensions from the receptacle inside to power what I will. And I am redneck enough that all that suits me fine.

The receptacle through the wall may seem odd, but you have to remember winter. I can't leave a door cracked then as a general principle. And you may worry the fuel, but I have plenty. I have fuel delivered and fill my rigs from it to keep it fresh - I hardly go to gas stations. So there's always a few hundred gallons laying around.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2018, 01:46:17 am »
Hah @Sanguine.  I'm looking for the hatches right now so that I can batten them down.

Yes, very rare ... think it last happened in '92 but this one seems to be dangerously close and is supposed to hit Maui tomorrow evening with at least high winds.  Everyone in Kihei was at Safeway yesterday grabbing the bottled water and canned goods.  My biggest fear is electricity.

It's hard for me to live without it even for a day.

Good luck @Emjay hoping you will be OK. Must be nice to live in Hawaii.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #252 on: August 23, 2018, 01:49:51 am »
On the bright side...it will cool off all the lava.  :laugh:
Hurricane vrs Volcano  :scared smiley: my money is on Volcano

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #253 on: August 23, 2018, 02:54:48 am »
Good luck @Emjay hoping you will be OK. Must be nice to live in Hawaii.

I'll second that!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #254 on: August 23, 2018, 03:27:49 am »
I'll second that!

Thank you.  They are closing everything.  My daughter's school was closed today.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #255 on: August 23, 2018, 03:29:21 am »
@Emjay
Adding my thoughts and prayers for safety ... and electricity!

Thanks @Polly Ticks   It's supposed to hit tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #256 on: August 23, 2018, 03:34:43 am »
@Emjay
 :shrug: We don't ever have hurricanes up here, but I have a generator... My needs are less than yours - I can only keep the fridge, freezer, and networking running... and the odd light or two... and charge the laptop/phone/tablet... I am reduced to BBQ for cooking (damn! LOL!) But I have found need for it on several occasions over the last five years. Granted, never more than a half day outage so far, but since I have it, I use it.

You might look into it - Generators are not that expensive if they are used, and if you are buying when there isn't a need...

And the wishes are heartfelt, our differences aside.

My son always had one or even two when he lived in the Davis Mountains but he doesn't now since he's moved to Canon City, Colorado.

I couldn't get a generator now if I wanted to but if this becomes hurricane alley, I'll look into it.

Thanks again for the good wishes.  Differences don't matter much when you're facing danger.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #257 on: August 23, 2018, 03:56:32 am »
@Machiavelli , please feel free to lock this thread. It's apparent that @Emjay is well situated to survive the hurricane, thankfully.

It's obvious that no Trump supporter has uncovered evidence to support the Madam's List accusations put forth last week, because there was never any truth to it in the first place.

This thread has served its purpose, and can be retired.  Thanks to all that contributed, I never expected the thread to go beyond ten pages.   :patriot:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #258 on: August 23, 2018, 04:05:53 am »
@Machiavelli , please feel free to lock this thread. It's apparent that @Emjay is well situated to survive the hurricane, thankfully.

It's obvious that no Trump supporter has uncovered evidence to support the Madam's List accusations put forth last week, because there was never any truth to it in the first place.

This thread has served its purpose, and can be retired.  Thanks to all that contributed, I never expected the thread to go beyond ten pages.   :patriot:

Well done sir.  :beer:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DB

« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2018, 04:32:04 am »
If you have NG, that's the ticket! I converted my little 2.5kw generator myself. It's not that difficult. And  I used a NG tap I had for an old gas bbq. I was out of power for just under 2 weeks after Rita. I cooked in the breezeway on a 2 burner propane stove.  After Rita, did you see all the people lined up at the gas stations with all their small gas jugs for their generators? I had originally converted my gen to propane. I had a 60# bottle. After almost a week it was getting low. I had to drive almost to Angleton to find propane. It occurred to me then to plumb it to the NG. All I had to do was adjust the regulator.

At my previous home I put in a 500 gallon buried propane tank connected to a 40 kW automatic standby generator... I could have used NG but in California an earthquake will take that out too. Propane also has more energy than NG so if I used NG the generator's capacity would have been derated significantly. I nearly always had power.