Author Topic: Ex-CIA Director Brennan's anti-Trump comments did 'damage' to intel community, Mullen says  (Read 2082 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ex-CIA Director Brennan's anti-Trump comments did 'damage' to intel community, Mullen says
Gregg Re

Former CIA Director John Brennan risked damaging the intelligence community with his anti-Trump comments, retired Adm. Michael Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told "Fox News Sunday."

Mullen's comments came as several former intelligence officials appeared on Sunday talk shows, including Brennan -- who floated the possibility of taking legal action against the president.

"I think John's an extraordinary servant of the country, but I think he has been incredibly critical of the president, and I think that has put him in a political place which actually does more damage for the intelligence community -- which is apolitical," Mullen said.

Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/19/ex-cia-director-brennans-anti-trump-comments-did-damage-to-intel-community-mullen-says.html

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

"For someone of my age, it brings back the whole concept of the 'enemies list' under President Nixon," Mullen continued. "And even before that, in the early 1950s, the McCarthy era -- where the administration starts putting together lists of individuals who don't agree with them."

Offline mrclose

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:42:20 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
"For someone of my age, it brings back the whole concept of the 'enemies list' under President Nixon," Mullen continued. "And even before that, in the early 1950s, the McCarthy era -- where the administration starts putting together lists of individuals who don't agree with them."

Nothing wrong with an enemies list back then or now.  It is basic human instinct to want to know who is out to get you so you can shank them 1st.  Figuratively of course.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:05:22 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

Anyone who voted for Gus Hall should be considered an enemy.

Nothing wrong with an enemies list back then or now.  It is basic human instinct to know who is out to get you.
Adm. Mullen seems to have a problem with it.  Republicans had a problem with Obama targeting conservatives, but now they have absolutely no problem with a President targeting Americans who disagree, and absolutely no self-awareness of their hypocrisy.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Sometimes, it seems Trump expresses himself to strongly but in the end,  virtually all Presidents have their enemies and I have little sympathy for people like Brennan.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Anyone who voted for Gus Hall should be considered an enemy.

fascinating tidbit was reported by CNN: Barack Obama’s CIA director, John Brennan, recently reminisced about being asked a standard question for a security clearance in his early days applying to the agency: Had he ever worked with or for a group that was dedicated to overthrowing the United States of America? Of course, one group dedicated to overthrowing America had been Lenin’s group, Stalin’s group, Khrushchev’s group, Brezhnev’s group — Communist Party USA.

Yeah, but that couldn’t have any relevance here, right?

Think again. Brennan certainly did. He thought soberly.

“I froze,” Brennan recalled, as he shared the moment at the annual conference of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation. “This was back in 1980, and I thought back to a previous election where I voted, and I voted for the Communist Party candidate.”

https://spectator.org/did-barack-obama-vote-communist-in-1980/

Offline Wingnut

Adm. Mullen seems to have a problem with it.  Republicans had a problem with Obama targeting conservatives, but now they have absolutely no problem with a President targeting Americans who disagree, and absolutely no self-awareness of their hypocrisy.

Mullin used to leave a large wake.  Now he is a putting around in his dinghy, adrift at sea.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

@Once-Ler

There is a  big  difference between politicizing agencies of the government to target opposition groups and doing the job you were elected to do you effin idiot!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If former spooks or military personnel want to keep their clearances and receive selected classified information, then they should abide by the same rules regarding politics after retirement than they did while on active service.  If they choose instead to become outspoken political figures, then their choice of that path should mean they're no longer just retired military/intelligence professionals, and so should no longer keep a clearance.

@Once-Ler

There is a  big  difference between politicizing agencies of the government to target opposition groups and doing the job you were elected to do you effin idiot!

Take a Midol @Bigun
talk about snowflakes.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:53:39 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If former spooks or military personnel want to keep their clearances and receive selected classified information, then they should abide by the same rules regarding politics after retirement than they did while on active service.  If they choose instead to become outspoken political figures, then their choice of that path should mean they're no longer just retired military/intelligence professionals, and so should no longer keep a clearance.

You are getting closer and closer to being in line with my point of view on this.  If you no longer have a job that requires a clearance you no longer have a clearance.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Take a Midol @Bigun
talk about snowflakes.

Don't like being called one don't act like one!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Don't like being called one don't act like one!

Sorry you're having such a tough day.   ****slapping

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Sorry you're having such a tough day.   ****slapping

I don't think it's me that is but you continue to enjoy your fantasy all you like.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You are getting closer and closer to being in line with my point of view on this.  If you no longer have a job that requires a clearance you no longer have a clearance.

Well, I could see exceptions.

Let's say that the Moscow Station Chief retires after having spent the last 5 years running that station.  Has loads of contacts, institutional knowledge, etc..  3 months later, there's some shit going on and the Administration wants to pick his brain.  To do that, they've got to bring him up to speed with some classified info.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.  In fact, it would be foolish to have a hard and fast rule that the second you're out, they should never talk to you again.  But I don't think it should be routine for people to keep them, nor do I think it should go on indefinitely.  And certainly if you're playing politics, it should be yanked.

Offline Slide Rule

@Once-Ler

Sounds like you outed a Never Trumper or worse.

Beer!

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Timothy Dennis

Brennan is a globalist; Trump is a nationalist. Brennan is diametrically opposed to Trump philosophically, hence the criticism. Being a globalist, Brennan's first allegiance is to the international cabal that runs the world. Brennan IS trying to undermine our nation in a stealth manner.

Note: Since when is the CIA apolitical?

Sounds like you outed a Never Trumper

You just figuring that out?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

There's disagreement and then there's what Brennan is doing now and did while he was at Langley that is dangerous for the security of this country.

Obama targeted people who wrote stories that didn't praise his policies and kiss his ass for being Obama...show me one former CIA director that called Obama a traitor for the Iran deal....or Arab Spring...or allowing the Uranium One deal to go through.

I think the only hypocrisy here is yours on this issue.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

There's disagreement and then there's what Brennan is doing now and did while he was at Langley that is dangerous for the security of this country.

Obama targeted people who wrote stories that didn't praise his policies and kiss his ass for being Obama...show me one former CIA director that called Obama a traitor for the Iran deal....or Arab Spring...or allowing the Uranium One deal to go through.

I think the only hypocrisy here is yours on this issue.

Republicans run the government.  Anybody investigating that crap?  If not, it sounds like a distraction from the current investigation into Trump's collusion with Russia to undermine our elections.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Republicans run the government.  Anybody investigating that crap?

I'd say that the fact Brennan got his SC revoked shows there was some kind of investigation.

The other investigations are ongoing.

If not, it sounds like a distraction from the current investigation into Trump's collusion with Russia to undermine our elections.

The only distraction right now is the sham investigation into the false allegations of Trump colluding with Russia.

Trump wasn't the one that ordered cyber command to stand down when the WH was given evidence that Russia was hacking our systems.

Care to guess who allowed that to happen?  Need a hint who was running the CIA?  Maybe who the DNI was during all of that?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

I'd say that the fact Brennan got his SC revoked shows there was some kind of investigation.

The other investigations are ongoing.

So Trump is investigating?  Great.  He did a nice job on the birth certificate.

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1031612052509536263

Rudy Giuliani @RudyGiuliani

To John Brennan:                                           
Today President Trump granted our request (Jay Sekulow and me) to handle your case. After threatening if you don’t it would be just like Obama’s red lines. Come on John you’re not a blowhard?
11:40 AM - 20 Aug 2018

Nothing but the best people.