Author Topic: The Dethroning of King Corn in the US Ethanol Industry  (Read 1968 times)

Offline thackney

The Dethroning of King Corn in the US Ethanol Industry
« on: August 17, 2018, 12:00:38 pm »
The Dethroning of King Corn in the US Ethanol Industry
https://www.realclearenergy.org/articles/2018/08/17/the_dethroning_of_king_corn_in_the_us_ethanol_industry_110328.html

Many have been criticizing ethanol ever since the corn-alcohol distillate was proposed as an anti-knock additive to replace lead in gasoline. In the mid-2000s, faced with the prospect of diminishing oil production and higher energy prices, the U.S. Congress turned to ethanol as an alternative fuel that could supplement and (supporters claimed) eventually even supplant gasoline in the our fuel supply, along with biodiesel from corn and soybean oil.

The oil and gas fracking revolution over the last decade, however, has shown the pessimists were wrong. Yet, a federal mandate that requires refiners to blend increasing amounts of ethanol into gasoline each year lives on. Now E10 — an approximately 10 percent ethanol-blended gasoline — is pervasive in the U.S. fuel supply, and the ethanol industry is well developed.

A victim of its own success, ethanol is under mounting pressure.

Economists point out the inefficiency of using fossil fuel-derived fertilizers to grow an “alternative fuel” with only two-thirds the energy content of gasoline. Environmentalists decry the conversion of marginal lands to grow crows for fuel stocks. Clean air advocates warn about the adverse health effects of ethanol’s significantly higher emissions of ozone-forming nitrogen oxides. Indeed, recent developments suggest the overthrow of King Corn may be coming. Consider:

* In January 2018, Philadelphia Energy Solutions, the largest refiner in the eastern U.S., filed for bankruptcy because of the $200 million — twice as much as its payroll — it was forced to pay for credits since it could not properly blend-in ethanol;

* On June 29, 2018, EPA released a long-delayed report that finds the federal ethanol program harms the soil, water, and air; and

* On July 26, 2018, 21 U.S. senators wrote EPA Acting Administrator Andrew Wheeler, warning him not to “deviate from sound policy and the law” by “retroactively reallocating obligations” to blend ethanol the EPA regularly waives for small refiners to larger refiners....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline endicom

Re: The Dethroning of King Corn in the US Ethanol Industry
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:48:20 pm »
Environmentalists decry the conversion of marginal lands to grow crows for fuel stocks.

My caw flies with that stuff.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 12:54:48 pm »
My caw flies with that stuff.

thus quoth the ravin'
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 06:10:17 pm »
As I recall, ethanol replaced MTBE, which was the first alternative to using lead in gasoline.  MTBE proved a worse pollutant than lead.

Both MTBE and ethanol are disasters, proving once again that government has no place mandating what industry should be using.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 06:52:02 pm »
As I recall, ethanol replaced MTBE, which was the first alternative to using lead in gasoline.  MTBE proved a worse pollutant than lead.

Both MTBE and ethanol are disasters, proving once again that government has no place mandating what industry should be using.

You don't hear much about it now but MTBE leeching out of under ground tanks at gas stations across the country was a big deal a while back. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:53:50 am »
Kawa
sakeeeee

Best consumed by man, best not consumed by man.

To anything else sooo mechanical.

A death cycle.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 03:14:31 pm »

As motor fuel additives for sure, but ethanol has other uses as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 07:06:44 pm »
When I was in High School, all we heard was how "Alcohol and Gasoline don't mix!"

So we drank the alcohol and burned the gasoline.

But we were looking forward to the new Ice Age back then, too.

It is an era of human nuttiness that will be looked back upon with amazement, should thinking humans survive it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 08:11:04 pm »

Sunoco E85-R is an unleaded racing fuel containing 85 volume % ethanol. It can only be used in fuel systems designed specifically for E85 blends. Because it is highly oxygenated and requires increased fuel flow compared to conventional non-oxygenated fuels, consult with your fuel injection system or carburetor supplier for correct air/fuel ratio calibrations.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 08:17:43 pm »
When I was in High School, all we heard was how "Alcohol and Gasoline don't mix!"

So we drank the alcohol and burned the gasoline.

But we were looking forward to the new Ice Age back then, too.

It is an era of human nuttiness that will be looked back upon with amazement, should thinking humans survive it.

I jumped on the hybrid/flex fuel band wagon when it 1st started.   Mine burned gas and rubber.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 09:00:10 pm »
I jumped on the hybrid/flex fuel band wagon when it 1st started.   Mine burned gas and rubber.

Hopefully most of the rubber burned was on the backseat.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 09:12:02 pm »

I've owned several cars in my lifetime that would pass anything on the highway but a service station.   

The man at the tire place said they should make house calls at my place.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:13:30 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 09:17:07 pm »
Hopefully most of the rubber burned was on the backseat.

We had our dreams reborn and our upholstery torn.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 10:21:23 pm »
I've owned several cars in my lifetime that would pass anything on the highway but a service station.   

The man at the tire place said they should make house calls at my place.

Mine were always more economical. But my brother in law back before he married my sister had this Impala convertible(lead sled). His brother built that 327 with such open piston clearances that when we pulled into the Hudson? station he'd get a few gallons of gas and always 2 quarts of bulk oil they had in mason jars. One nite he dumped the clutch in front of a classmate's house, whose ole man was an ahole. The car didn't even move as both rear tires were smokin' away much of their life. By the time the car slowly crept along and took off, I couldn't even see David's house anymore.