Author Topic: Senate Unanimously Passes Resolution Declaring the Press Is Not 'The Enemy of the People'  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://fortune.com/2018/08/16/senate-resolution-support-free-press/
The U.S. Senate unanimously passed a resolution Thursday declaring “the press is not the enemy of the people.” The vote comes just as the president renewed attacks on what he’s dubbed the “fake news media.”

The resolution, introduced by Sen. Brian Schatz (D-HI), Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), and Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), reaffirms the Senate’s commitment to the Constitution’s declaration of the freedom of the press.

“We rely on reporters and newscasters to keep our leaders honest, accountable, and always working in the best interest of the American people,” said Schumer in a statement.

more at link.

Nobody in the Senate will go on record as thinking the President is sane.

Online corbe

Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands

! No longer available
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
We know not all of the senators were there, so I'm guessing "unanimous" means of those who were there.  Could have been 4 or 5 for all we know, and the way the story is written it is not possible to tell.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
We know not all of the senators were there, so I'm guessing "unanimous" means of those who were there.  Could have been 4 or 5 for all we know, and the way the story is written it is not possible to tell.

Why would the democrats even bring up such a proposition?  Maybe it's because more and more people have lost all respect for the media.

They've covered up for the worst president ever (Obama) but continue to dig into the trash for the tiniest negative crumb against Trump.

I don't trust them at all.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oh?  They left the rats in control?  That's OK then, I guess.

Online cato potatoe

Enemy of the people ... no.  Enemy of half of the people?  He might have an argument there.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Bite Me.

Whining, COLLUDING, lowlifes. Who is going to IMPEACH all of you colluding clowns for this Conspiracy?

More than 300 newspapers join a nationwide effort to publish editorials in response to Trump's attack on media

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/300-newspapers-publish-editorials-response-trumps-attack-media/story?id=57194338

Almost 350 news outlets to publish editorials denouncing Trump's 'dirty war' on press

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/15/trump-press-editorials-defence-fake-news-media-attacks-us?CMP=edit_2221
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline darroll

The press can outlie any liar in the country.
I can understand the resolution, these fish wraps are going to help reelect Rhinos.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

The presses claim that it was "Unanimous" is misleading.  What happened was after reading the non binding resolution no senator raised objections to resolution. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

The presses claim that it was "Unanimous" is misleading.  What happened was after reading the non binding resolution no senator raised objections to resolution.
I wonder why nobody stood up for President Trump.

Offline kevindavis007

Bite Me.

Whining, COLLUDING, lowlifes. Who is going to IMPEACH all of you colluding clowns for this Conspiracy?

More than 300 newspapers join a nationwide effort to publish editorials in response to Trump's attack on media

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/300-newspapers-publish-editorials-response-trumps-attack-media/story?id=57194338

Almost 350 news outlets to publish editorials denouncing Trump's 'dirty war' on press

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/15/trump-press-editorials-defence-fake-news-media-attacks-us?CMP=edit_2221

What is Trump accomplishing by attacking the media? The President of the United States should not be attacking the media period.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

• Wulf Anson Author

What is Trump accomplishing by attacking the media? The President of the United States should not be attacking the media period.

Has the President initiated a Special Counsel to dig up possible crimes committed by Da Press?

Has the President Authorized blowing $20 Million on a year and a half excavation of their possible Ties to Russia based on a completely phony Dossier paid for by the Democrats?

We could go on with this simile till Hell freezes over, but Self Defense is the God Given right of every Individual.

Our press is as partisan and FOS as can be imagined.

What is this crap?

Only the Press owns the the First Amendment Protections of Free Speech?

YOUR First Amendment doesn't belong to the President too, because the Press' candidate Lost and election and they're having a Hissy Fit trying to have him Removed?

Again, Dear Press, take your asinine, pretentious Sanctimony and Bite Me!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:07:46 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline kevindavis007

Has the President initiated a Special Counsel to dig up possible crimes committed by Da Press?

Has the President Authorized blowing $20 Million on a year and a half excavation of their possible Ties to Russia based on a completely phony Dossier paid for by the Democrats?

We could go on with this simile till Hell freezes over, but Self Defense is the God Given right of every Individual.

Our press is as partisan and FOS as can be imagined.

Oh boo hoo the mean press doesn't like us. They never liked us and never will. The press has been mean to Reagan and he shrugged it off.  Time for Trump to shrug it off as well.

• Wulf Anson Author

Oh boo hoo the mean press doesn't like us. They never liked us and never will. The press has been mean to Reagan and he shrugged it off.  Time for Trump to shrug it off as well.

Winning an election doesn't come with the requirement to have your 1st Amendment rights suspended so these BS Jackals can just pile on any way they like WITHOUT being called on it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:10:34 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline kevindavis007

Winning an election doesn't come with the requirement to have your 1st Amendment rights suspended so these BS Jackals can just pile on any way they like WITHOUT being called on it.

Sorry, I didn't like it when Clinton attacked Talk Radio
I didn't like it when Obama attacked Fox News

I also remember a lot of Conservatives where up in arms when that happened. I think that ELECTED OFFICIALS have more important things then go after the Press.

Offline GrouchoTex

Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands

! No longer available

:amen:

Got nothing better to do, Senate?

Offline Timothy Dennis

First of all, it is up to the American people to determine if the media is the enemy of the people, not some Senate resolution. The MSM lie and smear anyone that opposes their globalist objectives. They are in the pockets of big international corporations and serve as the mouthpieces of globalists and their agenda.Trump is attempting to "make America great" and so he is being branded a psycho and incompetent; (of course, we know better). He is a threat to their goal of globalist domination of the world. Big entities like Facebook, You Tube and the like are squelching free speech shutting down critical voices like the website "Infowars"--and sadly they are getting away with it. Why can't someone like Infowars express their opinion? That is their right under the Constitution. Indeed, our nation is under assault by the Left, who are trying to control discussion among the American people. The globalists are covertly (and in plain sight) working to undermine our freedom of expression--the expression of the Conservative. We must stand up, raises our voices, and pound our keyboards and challenge this left-wing attempt to silence conservatism.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:01:12 pm by Timothy Dennis »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Enemy of the people ... no.  Enemy of half of the people?  He might have an argument there.

Maybe a bit hyperbolic but not that much.  I've been on the 'Obama not eligible to be president' thread and been brutally reminded of how the press was a major factor in covering up for and assuring the election of Obama.

That a man with Obama's history and credentials (or lack thereof) could have ever been elected in this country is still something of a mystery and a miracle to me.

The press enabled that by refusing to investigate him at all.  So, yeah, I put them on the enemies list.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The press can outlie any liar in the country.
I can understand the resolution, these fish wraps are going to help reelect Rhinos.

And do their damnedest to make sure that any non-RINO never gets nominated anywhere in this country! And WE are so EFFIN stupid as to let them get away with that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I notice we are talking about free press, fair press, free speech, etc.

Who is leading the way?

Ironically while the leftist Press, is standing up for themselves, the Leftist big media, is throttling Alex Jones' free speech.

I say Hooray for Trump, putting this topic in the headlines. His efforts have single handedly taken the media down many notches, which conservatives failed to do on their own.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I notice we are talking about free press, fair press, free speech, etc.

Who is leading the way?

Ironically while the leftist Press, is standing up for themselves, the Leftist big media, is throttling Alex Jones' free speech.

I say Hooray for Trump, putting this topic in the headlines. His efforts have single handedly taken the media down many notches, which conservatives failed to do on their own.

Yep, I will go along with you there.

Trump's ego, much despised on this forum, has been his ally in this fight against the press.

He's too self-confident to let the insults get him down or get him to back off.  He takes it to them.

I'll add another Trump hooray. :amen:

Offline Timothy Dennis

Sorry, I didn't like it when Clinton attacked Talk Radio
I didn't like it when Obama attacked Fox News

I also remember a lot of Conservatives where up in arms when that happened. I think that ELECTED OFFICIALS have more important things then go after the Press.

I think Trump and all elected officials have every right to speak up when the Press is undermining the president's agenda.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:21:13 pm by Timothy Dennis »

Offline darroll

The senate is spineless. They don't want the press looking into their behavior.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The senate is spineless. They don't want the press looking into their behavior.

Yeah and 900+ FBI files illegally in the possession of the Clintons might have something to do with it as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Wulf Anson Author
As for Reagan being above it all, He had his moments too.

He just wasn't as in your face about it as Trump.

He'd point to a reporter at a press briefing and tell everyone:

"Well, there he goes again."

RWR tried to entertain, but his mssg was plain as day. 'That reporter is an Idiot!'

Or the time he handed Sam Donaldson his A##.

Donaldson badgered him with a "Don't you feel that Any of this mess is Your responsibilty?"

And Reagan replied that he was sorry, and yes he was in part responsible for it because for many years he'd been a Democrat.

Giving the press back their own isn't anything new.