Author Topic: China Buckles, Sends Trade Delegation to Washington to Seek End of Trade War  (Read 3904 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

China and the U.S. are set to resume trade talks for the first time since June.
A meeting between the two countries, which would be between lower-level officials than earlier talks, would mark a breach in the standoff that has arisen since talks broke down in the spring. U.S. officials have repeatedly said they were open to new talks but insisted that China had walked away rather than offer serious reform.

It still is not clear if China’s delegation will carry with it a reform offer serious enough to stave off the Trump administration’s threat of former tariffs.  The U.S. side will be lead by Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs David Malpass.
https://www.breitbart.com/economics/2018/08/16/chinasendstradedelegation/
I for one am not getting tired of winning.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I hope this pans out.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I for one am not getting tired of winning.

888high58888

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"But tariffs will never work..."

/s

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
888high58888

Amazing!   With all this hair-pulling and hand-wringing, here, and in the media 24/7.

I'm so damned proud of our President.   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I hope this pans out.

Didn't the Japanese make overtures for peace while they were planning the Pearl Harbor attack?

I trust the Chicoms.......   ZERO
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Didn't the Japanese make overtures for peace while they were planning the Pearl Harbor attack?

That's why I said "I hope".  I won't believe it until after it occurs. And, the fine print is revealed.

Offline thackney

Exactly.  Showing up for the game is not the same as winning the game.  It ain't over 'till its over.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline DCPatriot

Realize that you're not necessarily implying that we are going to be 'attacked' militarily while their delegation is in talks...as they were in 1941.

...was thinking that sneak attack would be impossible today.  Too many 'eyes'.

Only thing concerning to me right now...their activities in the South China Sea in general.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Realize that you're not necessarily implying that we are going to be 'attacked' militarily while their delegation is in talks...as they were in 1941.

...was thinking that sneak attack would be impossible today.  Too many 'eyes'.

Only thing concerning to me right now...their activities in the South China Sea in general.

An imminent attack while negotiations was not what I was thinking, but I find it ironic that on the same day as  this article (thread), this appears too.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,328392.msg1769518/topicseen.html#msg1769518

Pentagon says China military likely training for strikes on U.S. targets
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

An imminent attack while negotiations was not what I was thinking, but I find it ironic that on the same day as  this article (thread), this appears too.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,328392.msg1769518/topicseen.html#msg1769518

Pentagon says China military likely training for strikes on U.S. targets

Must admit here.... not confident that China doesn't already have an orbital weapons system.  Hope we do.

The brain drain over the past 18 years alone..   :shrug:

cue: Diamonds Are Forever. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:45:42 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The press is saying Trump adm is sending the JV team to China and is saying nothing will come of the negotiations.

Bless their 300 papers opeded hearts.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

No one should trust them at all but the fact that they have sent a delegation is a very good thing IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Looks like China is slowing down while the US is speeding up.  No wonder they want to talk.  And this is BEFORE the big tariffs even hit them.

China's economy cools further as investment growth hits a record low

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/14/chinas-economy-cools-further-as-investment-growth-hits-a-record-low.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Looks like China is slowing down while the US is speeding up.  No wonder they want to talk.  And this is BEFORE the big tariffs even hit them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/14/chinas-economy-cools-further-as-investment-growth-hits-a-record-low.html

Exactly.  And, this can be a very dangerous time.  Xi is not going to give up power without making a whole lot of those who he holds responsible pay.  And, just a guess, we would be the "those who he holds responsible".

Exactly.  And, this can be a very dangerous time.  Xi is not going to give up power without making a whole lot of those who he holds responsible pay.  And, just a guess, we would be the "those who he holds responsible".
Why are you worried?  China has been pilfering us for years.  Now that the trade and economic playing field is in the process of being leveled, are you suggesting directly engaging war with the US?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why are you worried?  China has been pilfering us for years.  Now that the trade and economic playing field is in the process of being leveled, are you suggesting directly engaging war with the US?

You think it's not a possibility? 

But, yes, I agree we need a strong economic reset with China.  They disagree.

You think it's not a possibility? 

But, yes, I agree we need a strong economic reset with China.  They disagree.
Everything is possible, but that does not mean one should be worried.

The Chinese economy have lifted up peasants into the middle class who have tasted a bit more enjoyment in this world.

With their economy in freefall, that should concern the Chinese leaders the most, not attacking others.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Everything is possible, but that does not mean one should be worried.

The Chinese economy have lifted up peasants into the middle class who have tasted a bit more enjoyment in this world.

With their economy in freefall, that should concern the Chinese leaders the most, not attacking others.

With all due respect, I'll worry.

What do nations often do when they are having serious economic problems that are or may become domestic unrest? 

With all due respect, I'll worry.

What do nations often do when they are having serious economic problems that are or may become domestic unrest?
with that logic, Russia would have attacked us decades ago.

Offline Absalom

So China might attack us during forthcoming trade negotiations in the USA?
Hey anything's possible. They might even have found a way to re-float the
"Marble Boat" of the last Chinese Empress buried in the sandy lagoon at the
Imperial Palace in Beijing and arm it w/state of the art missiles. Who knows?
On a serious note, when was that last time China defeated any military adversary
in a either a single battle or in an extended war?????

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
888high58888

@Right_in_Virginia

Sure,easy for YOU to say,but there are Dim and RINO heads exploding all over the country.

We can only hope a number of them become suicidal and thus help to Make American Great Again.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Suppressed

Meanwjile, real wages have fallen in the US in 2018 as Trump bloats the national debt.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:06:17 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Meanwjile, real wages have fallen in the US in 2018 as Trump boats the national debt.

You are wrong, yet again @Suppressed 

Workers are about to take home their biggest checks in years: study
NY Post, Aug 18, 2018, John Aidan Byrne

Workers will finally be bringing home the bacon — salaries are about to break out of a decade-long slump.

US professionals nationwide will soon be taking home their biggest paychecks, as the tightening labor market and economic recovery will spur companies to confidently raise salaries and pay bigger bonuses, according to a new study by Willis Towers Watson Data Services.

“Employers tend to pay more when they feel confident about the future,” said Murray Gunn, an analyst at Elliott Wave International. “This survey certainly reflects an ebullient mood among business leaders.”

Employers haven’t paid an increase like this since 2008, when the financial crisis torpedoed company coffers.

More:  https://nypost.com/2018/08/18/workers-are-about-to-take-home-their-biggest-checks-in-years-study/