Author Topic: Electricity pricing in California will cause old people to not use life saving air conditioning...  (Read 601 times)

Offline endicom

Electricity pricing in California will cause old people to not use life saving air conditioning in heat waves

Next Big Future
Brian Wang
Aug. 14, 2018

Old people and babies are vulnerable to death from heat waves. The electrical pricing is setting old people up to not use the air conditioning that they may truly need at some point to save their life.

Steeply tiered electricity costs can nail people with electricity bills of $200-500 or more in months where they use several hours of air conditioning in one day in California and South Korea and many other countries.

Elderly people are generally more vulnerable to the effects of a heat wave, particularly if they:

*take certain medications or if they are affected by conditions that have the effect of decreasing their tolerance to heat
*are physically and socially isolated
* present a loss of autonomy

More... https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/08/affordable-electricity-and-air-conditioning-is-needed-during-heat-waves-in-california-and-south-korea.html

Offline Hoodat

I remember a previous President insisting that it was necessary for electricity prices to skyrocket?  If I remember correctly, California overwhelmingly endorsed that President and his policies.  Twice.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline endicom

I remember a previous President insisting that it was necessary for electricity prices to skyrocket?  If I remember correctly, California overwhelmingly endorsed that President and his policies.  Twice.

Your memory is stable genius.