Author Topic: Shooter in fatal Florida 'Stand Your Ground' case arrested for manslaughter  (Read 744 times)

Offline Suppressed

Shooter in fatal Florida 'Stand Your Ground' case arrested for manslaughter
By Robert Gearty  | Fox News  |  1 hour ago

A Florida man was arrested on a prosecutor's warrant Monday in connection with a fatal shooting last month that a sheriff said was justified under the state’s "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law.

Michael Drejka, 47, was charged with manslaughter in the July 19 death of 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton during a dispute over a handicapped parking spot at a convenience store in Clearwater.

[...]

McGlockton, 28, of Clearwater, shoved Drejka to the ground and then was shot and killed when Drejka, from a sitting position, pulled out a gun he legally owned and opened fire. McGlockton was shot once in the chest.

Gualtieri said “Stand Your Ground” prevented him from arresting Drejka.

[...]

It also stated that the findings of the autopsy were consistent with the video footage of the shooting in which McGlockton appeared to be turning away from Drejka when he was shot.

[...]

It also stated that the findings of the autopsy were consistent with the video footage of the shooting in which McGlockton appeared to be turning away from Drejka when he was shot.

In addition, the complaint said that in 2012 Drejka displayed a gun during two separate road rage incidents in which he was never charged.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/13/shooter-in-fatal-florida-stand-your-ground-case-arrested-for-manslaughter.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Yeah...ya know....  I watched that many times and I think they had to charge this guy.   Let a jury sort it out.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think half (if not more) of the sense of urgency for gun control from these types is their own fear of how they would act, given a firearm, projected on the rest of the populace. They can't imagine not wanting to kill someone, sooner or later, or have had rich fantasies about wreaking mayhem on some crowd or group, so they project their sickness on the rest of the population, then out of fear, push for legislation...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

I think half (if not more) of the sense of urgency for gun control from these types is their own fear of how they would act, given a firearm, projected on the rest of the populace. They can't imagine not wanting to kill someone, sooner or later, or have had rich fantasies about wreaking mayhem on some crowd or group, so they project their sickness on the rest of the population, then out of fear, push for legislation...

(Democrat) Gun Control Candidate Charged With Shooting Her Campaign Treasurer
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,328063.msg1766092.html#msg1766092
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

This one is difficult.  I watched the video of the portion in the parking lot several times.  The guy who got shot was not backing away from the guy he shoved to the ground until he saw him reaching for his side.  The by-stander walking up the sidewalk towards them notices what's going on and detours away from them about the same time the guy who got shot was turning away. 

There was plenty of time between the guy who got shot starting to turn away and actually being shot for the guy on the ground to see that he was backing away.  But, the guy who got shot turns his right side away from the guy on the ground.  He did not hold his hands up.  From the guy on the ground's perspective I could potentially see the point that he thought the guy that shoved him could be reaching for his own weapon. 

I think I have a hard time taking into account the news reports of supposed past road rage incidents or whatever.  At least what's being reported right now.

Offline Smokin Joe

This one is difficult.  I watched the video of the portion in the parking lot several times.  The guy who got shot was not backing away from the guy he shoved to the ground until he saw him reaching for his side.  The by-stander walking up the sidewalk towards them notices what's going on and detours away from them about the same time the guy who got shot was turning away. 

There was plenty of time between the guy who got shot starting to turn away and actually being shot for the guy on the ground to see that he was backing away.  But, the guy who got shot turns his right side away from the guy on the ground.  He did not hold his hands up.  From the guy on the ground's perspective I could potentially see the point that he thought the guy that shoved him could be reaching for his own weapon. 

I think I have a hard time taking into account the news reports of supposed past road rage incidents or whatever.  At least what's being reported right now.
"Shot while trying to escape." I guess it depends on where the DA draws the line between "attacking" and "fleeing the scene".

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

"Shot while trying to escape." I guess it depends on where the DA draws the line between "attacking" and "fleeing the scene".

I guess, but from what I see no one is fleeing (except the guy that was walking up the sidewalk towards them) until the guy is shot. I see him take a step back and turn his right side away.  From experience, I've never had to draw, but I've been in two situations where I wasn't sure if I needed to and I turned my right side away and took a couple steps back.  Just doing that I believe changed the whole situation and the homeless people that were walking towards me quickly changed their direction.

Offline Smokin Joe

I guess, but from what I see no one is fleeing (except the guy that was walking up the sidewalk towards them) until the guy is shot. I see him take a step back and turn his right side away.  From experience, I've never had to draw, but I've been in two situations where I wasn't sure if I needed to and I turned my right side away and took a couple steps back.  Just doing that I believe changed the whole situation and the homeless people that were walking towards me quickly changed their direction.
Fair enough. I use a shoulder rig, so I tend not to bring my right side back, so much as pivot my left forward.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

bkmk
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.